Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

My problem child...fear aggression and being a big brat

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama 
#1 ·
So Eddie is 6 months and has always been very "in your face". The breeders we got him from said he was by far the most dominant and mouthy of the litter. Even as a small pup he never responded to the yelp from me as he bit or the holding the jaw with my thumb, he

#4 ·
Re: My problem child...fear agression and being a big brat

Not yet. He just turned 6 months on the 7th and the vet said waiting until he was 6 months was best. We have an appt. at the beginning of May for the big snip. I can't wait! After seeing his mom now that she has fully recovered, I don't think she has a great temperment either. She tests the boundries quite a bit with the owner's wife and is very dominant at the meetups. I guess hindsight is 20/20, but I'm not sure I would have taken one of those pups after all. But, what's done is done and so now I'm trying to make home life happy for all- people and dogs

#5 ·

I know it takes alot of work.  I use to have a great dane/lab mix male that was the most dominant dog that I had ever owned.  At 12wks old he growled at me when I got on to him for peeing in our house.  And at the time my hubby and I werent married, I called him and told him to come pick him up bc I didnt want a dog acting like that around me.  BC he was huge even as a pup.  Well after lots of work, lots and lots of work I finally got him to obey me and listen to me but trust me he still tested the waters. Whenever he would snap at me I would roll him over and hold him down until he would submiss,  But he was a challenge.  (Im sure someone else can be of more help.)
do you do the feeding?   if so do you make him sit and wait until you set the bowls down and say ok.( I just scrolled up and read about the NILF)
I dont know. I am hoping someone else can help.

#6 ·

did you talk to Michelle yet? the trainer for Boxer Club? shes AWESOME !!!! and owns boxers..hers are showing at the AKC show this weekend..or Gail the one that runs the club? shes got i think 11 boxers ..around there.. 8O imagine

there are a few people here on the forum that have gone through this..i remember reading it..hoping they chime in

#7 ·

No I haven't. Is Michelle the one doing the class on the 19th? I know I RSVP'ed Theresa that I would be there, then the baseball schedule came out and I didn't think I would be able to make it, not sure if I sent Theresa a message though, now I'm going to skip one of the kids games and take Eddie. I'll send Theresa a note in a bit. I think the experience is too valuable to pass up. So I'll see ya next Sat! I guess just like being a new parent other people's experience and advice goes a long way. I've been combing the old threads too and have found some good advice that I'll share with hubby when he gets home.

#8 ·

GIRL call theresa!! shes up...talk to her tell her whats going on,...shell have you call Michelle..im telling you Michele has had dogs forever and boxers...if anyone can help she can...and they will be GLAD to...

#9 ·
This is an age where pups will start to assert themselves and all your prior training seems to have gone out the window.  You're correct about some of it being fear based. So far you have been doing a good job of keeping him at a distance from things he can't handle right now.  I think Ky has given you an excellent person to contact.  You need a trainer/behaviorist to help you out.  I would also ask the hubby to get involved with the trainer so he/she can figure out what he is doing that works and how you are doing things.

Nano

#10 ·
Also check out the Sporatic agression post of late.  SOme great info on their from our forum members.

Nano

#11 ·
Thanks Nano. I did enjoy reading the post you mentioned, it sounds similar to what is going on. Today he was banned from the living. I noticed that almost all unwanted behavior came when he was in there. Kitchen fine, office fine, livingroom...growling, nipping, jumping, aghhhh. So after a bit he got that "out" meant "out" all day, and he was much better. So I will continue that until I feel he can behave nicely in there. Thanks again.

#12 ·
I know exactly what your going through.  Your not alone sweets.  My girl was a terror.  She's been down graded to moderate terror!  I would try to correct her, and she would bark back at me and try to nip me.  Yelling didn't work, being aggressive back did work (it only fed her aggression).  She wouldn't listen to me, she would bark and bark and bark while I was trying to relax.  I walked her 3 times a day, the morning and night walk was for at least half hour.  I really thought I ended up with a mental dog.  She was spayed at 6 months, and nothing changed.  I finally had it, and got her a trainer.  It took 1 session, and I had a new dog!  My trainer believes in the choke collar to correct bad behavior.  Also, he doesn't believe you need to yell to get your point across.  I was amazed when he walked in, put the choke collar on her, and after a few pops with the leash, she was in sitting position, calm and submissive.  Don't get me wrong, she's still a little devil, but now she listens to me.  I also think she's getting older and kind of out of that puppy defiant stage.

Good luck, hope this little novel helped some what :)

Rob

#13 ·
lmao @ the white Isis and the black Isis..haahahha thats funny !

hopefully Lenny will have a good effect on Eddie...

hope to see you all next saturday...youll be able to meet some great people that can help you out on the spot...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.