Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... Georgie is a pretty active puppy (during the day/evening), but my boy is she is so lazy in the morning... Most of the time, i let her out to do her business and when she's done she will either PLOP on the deck to lay in the morning sun... or come inside and go back in her crate, or on the couch!! I try to take her for a mile walk before i go to work, but sometimes i can't (due to weather or time).

but, regardless of the walk, she hardly ever eats ANYTHING in the morning... Yesterday, she didn't eat anything until about 6:00 p.m. (with the exception of some puppy treats, of course).

so, i was just wondering is it OK for her not to eat much (at all) in the morning? sometimes she eats about noon or 3:00, but sometimes she doesn't eat until the evening!! Initially, my vet said to try and feed her 3 times a day while she is a puppy... she used to eat 3 times a day. But, now it's once or twice...

She eats her food, so i don't think it's her being picky... i feed her Blue Buffalo puppy kibble, with a few spoonsfuls of canned blue buffalo. sometimes she will eat just the canned food (in the morning), and sometimes nothing at all. But, i know she likes the food because at night she eats the whole bowl, with or without extras (canned food, cheese, yogurt, carrots)...

She is growing "normal", i think... She's 5.5 months old and over 40 pounds already (she was 38 pounds at her last vet visit, almost a month ago). i guess my concern is that for humans, "breakfast is the most important meal"... so, i wasn't sure if it's the same for dogs... :)

does anyone else have a boxer who is just not a "morning dog"?

Any feedback would be helpful... I read these boards all the time just to be sure my boxer is "normal" and not "crazy"... haha... I love her to pieces and just want to make sure she is eating enough... :)

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
My girls don't really eat in the am too much either. They will but you almost have to make them and they never finish their meals. Early afternoon and later in the night is their favorite time to eat. I've tried to adjust their schedule but they're just not interested in eating in the morning so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our puppy (who will be 6 months old this month) doesn't eat much in the mornings either. 95% of the time she will look at it and just walk away. She eats the same food for dinner and then I worry if I should feed her again after dinner to make up for what she missed in the morning. But I read somewhere that Boxers have a really good guage on their appetite in that they don't overeat, they only eat when they are hungry. So I was worried a bit like you, but I'm starting to think she just isn't hungry in the morning! :) I guess they eat when they want to..haha I guess if she never ate the food I would worry that she hated the food, but since she eats it for dinner I'm assuming it's not the food!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow - so glad I stumbled upon this thread! We had been having the same issues with Bodie - sometimes he eats like he has never eaten before and sometimes he just goes over to it and walks away. We feed a mix of Blue Buffalo canned and kibble & switch off each meal (to keep him interested)...looks like this is just normal behavior. It is still very frustrating though!! :chair:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
well Buster is my night time eater (after 7pm) Brandi wants her breakfast right now!! (read before 6am) please mom and miss Ziggs says ahh when ever what ever she sometimes does breakfast and sometimes dinner she is by far the least fussy on the timing and my SIL lab who lives with us too will eat anytime, anywhere, anything ,and really needs to lose 20lbs LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mishka was pretty slow at eating when we first got her, I tried her on Innova and she wasn't into it. I switched to Stella and Chewy's SuperBeef and she started eating pretty well, most of the time. I just, for variety, tried Stella and Chewy's Surf and Turf and she went back to only eating about half rations. So, I went out and picked up a couple of bags of the SuperBeef, and she's cleaning up her meals again. Maybe your pup is picky like Mishka. I will not switch her flavors again for a while, because she does clean up the SuperBeef. The Old Lady is thrilled that Mish doesn't like the Surf and Turf, because she gets the rest of the Surf and Turf as opposed to her senior Innova. lol The stuff is just too expensive to waste.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, all... I feel better that Georgie is eating "normal"... She gobbles up dinner, or at least finishes it up within an hour or so... She's just not a "morning" eater... Actually she's not really a "morning dog" either... I practically have to drag her outside in the morning and then she will she go back in her crate!!! Which I love on weekends, but during the week I need to get her up and out... She gives me looks like "just because you're up, doesn't mean I should be"... She even rolls over and hides her head thinking I might not see her... Haha!!! I love her personality!!! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine isn't a morning puppy either. Out of curiosity I left it there just to see how long it would take to finish breakfast. Usually 10:30-11:00. So now I only feed half a cup in the mornings a cup for lunch and depending on her appetite cup and a half or two for dinner. Pepper is a dinner dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lab puppy not eating????????????????????????…

my 8 month old lab puppy doesnt seem like he is excited for food anymore. he was fine until 2 months ago. But now if i feed him in the morning he wont eat until late afternoon sometimes even until 6pm. I switched different food but same result. i used to feed him three times now just twice. But still he hardly eats 2 times.he dont look sick or anything. But he just dont really seems to like food anymore.Any advice..

·
Registered
162 Posts
my 8 month old lab puppy doesnt seem like he is excited for food anymore. he was fine until 2 months ago. But now if i feed him in the morning he wont eat until late afternoon sometimes even until 6pm. I switched different food but same result. i used to feed him three times now just twice. But still he hardly eats 2 times.he dont look sick or anything. But he just dont really seems to like food anymore.Any advice..
First of all Welcome!
Hmm. Boxers.....lab..got it! Furry friend!
Maybe sneak in some wet food & mix it up? Hopefully someone will come along and give you some good pointers. Also what type of dog food are you feeding?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My male boxer 5 months old now just started doing the same thing he doesnt want to eat in the morning just smells it and walks away. Sometimes he will eat by lunch other times not till afternoon. I guess hes just not hungry because once he eats he eats well. He is so lazy in the morning after he goes potty he comes back in and sleeps on the couch most of the morning. Afternoon hes a terror doing zoomies in the backyard or in the house. All in all hes so smart and does so many tricks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have had 6 boxers now and none of them liked Blue Buffalo. I feed Royal Canin boxer puppy to my 10month old and Royal Canin adult for my almost 2 year old and put a spoon of Royal Canin boxer canned on their dry food twice a day and they get one scrambled egg once a day mid morning. They are doing very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts