Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a puppy boxer named Mia who is 15 weeks old. I also have Tyson who is 7 years old. All of a sudden about 10 days ago Mia (puppy) developed a hard (bone hard) lump on her head. I looked it up on-line but all posts referred to "egg-head". She has always behaved normal (Crazy lol) eating, drinking, running chewing, puppy biting and playing. I took her to the vet on Friday for one of her shots and vet tech said the bump wasn't normal and to keep an eye on it. Well that freaked me out so when I got home I called the vet and made appointment. The only day they have available is tomorrow. I called this morning and they said they would let me know if there are any cancellations today.
I just want to know if anyone had a dog that developed the same thing. She has bumped her head a few times. Running outside I saw her bump her head on my patio table and she has taken clumsy puppy falls from sofa and bed. I hope thats all it is. Any experiences?
Thanks
Jen

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Teddy Bear had a knot on his head that looked a lot like Mia's. The vet thought he'd probably bumped it and recommended just watching and waiting. It never seemed to hurt him and he felt fine. After 3 or 4 weeks it was no longer noticeable. I have never been sure if it went away or if his head just grew into it, but I can't feel it now. There is a picture attached that shows it. I hope everything is fine with Mia. She is a cutie!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
It's a goose egg. She has hit her egg head on a table or chair. It's swelling, you can apply an ice pack to it several times a day. It should disappear completely :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your responses. Just went to vet and it is a bump on the head. Nothing to worry about thank goodness. He said she will keep bumping it until she get taller. lol
Love my puppy :hugs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi just wondering how long it took to go down. My 13 wk old boxer has bumped her cone head and it has come up in a big hematoma. It was squishy and fluidy at first but is feeling a bit harder now. I spoke to the vet and she said to monitor it until our appointment next week, unless she became unwell. She is fine running around, as crazy as ever, eating, drinking and everything as normal she just looks like a little alien dog... We have two puppies and they run and rough play alot and are both crazy daredevils that climb the kids play equipment she hits her head constantly when playing so I am hoping she isn't making it worse all the time.. I was told they usually re absorb back into the body on their own. Just wondering how long it usually takes to notice some improvement. She see's the vet in a couple of days so it will be checked then and if it needs to be drained will be done then I am just hoping it wont need that and will go down on it's own.. Any advice on how long these head hematoma's usually take to re absorb? Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi just wondering how long it took to go down. My 13 wk old boxer has bumped her cone head and it has come up in a big hematoma. It was squishy and fluidy at first but is feeling a bit harder now. I spoke to the vet and she said to monitor it until our appointment next week, unless she became unwell. She is fine running around, as crazy as ever, eating, drinking and everything as normal she just looks like a little alien dog... We have two puppies and they run and rough play alot and are both crazy daredevils that climb the kids play equipment she hits her head constantly when playing so I am hoping she isn't making it worse all the time.. I was told they usually re absorb back into the body on their own. Just wondering how long it usually takes to notice some improvement. She see's the vet in a couple of days so it will be checked then and if it needs to be drained will be done then I am just hoping it wont need that and will go down on it's own.. Any advice on how long these head hematoma's usually take to re absorb? Thanks.
I can only speak for human hematoma's- I've seen it in the eye and on the back of the hand. Both took a few weeks to get back to normal. We had to watch to make sure they didn't get worse, but once they started to go down...it was slow but steady. I hope your baby's getting better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts