Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am new here, sorry to make this my first message but I am in need of advice.  We have an 11 month old boxer named Oscar, he is a big lug, cuddle bunny, lazy goof of a dog and we adore him. Our kids can sit on him, tug on him ( not that we condone it, but if it happens he is ok with it), and he has meshed well with our other two older dogs. HOWEVER he has become aggressive to anyone looking in our backyard, ie the gas man, as well as our neighbors. He jumps their fence and backs agressively at them.  He has gone as far as to bite a man working on the opposite side of their yard, who did not openly invite the attack.  I don't understand what has happened, we neutered him a month ago, we have asked around to see if anyone has noticed anyone antagonizing him in any way.  Our neighbors are very accomodating and have been more then understanding with us, but I do not know the best thing to do.  It happens whether we are home or not.  He is aggressive to the father as well as his two children, which worries me.  We are thinking of installing an invisible fence, the petsafe brand, to deter the fence jumping etc., but does anyone have any ideas as to what might have triggered his behavior or had similar experiences?  I had never before met an aggressive boxer, and accused my neighbors of lying about what he was doing until I witnessed it.
At one time their dog, a female, was getting into our yard and our dogs would play together.  She taught Oscar how to get into their yard, a hole we fixed.  HOwever he has typical boxer spring legs and can easily bounce right over the top now.

PLease someone, will  you take some time to answer me?  I am frustrated and worried.  I am accustomed to having dogs that can run free in their own yard, I don't want to keep him in a kennel or on a cable line.  But I will do needs to be done short of euthanizing him.  I don;t believe in adopting out a dog who has bitten someone, so we are committed to try to fix the problem or problems.

Much thanks!!

Keri

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would contact a behaviorist to work with you to see what caused the behavior and they should be able to help you correct it.  Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts