Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 year old female boxer and a 1 1/2 year old female boxer. They have been getting along really well, no problems until a month ago. They have been getting into horrible fights resulting in vet visits every time. It has happened 4 times now. Some triggers we have picked up on and avoided a problem that might have occured. The majority of the time they sleep together...but out of the blue this evening they went at it again. We have kept them a part having leashes on them and in seperate rooms. They weren't' going outside together, we put baby gates up to seperate them....we think things are getting better, and out of the blue it happens again.

I'm not sure who instigates it...I don't know what to do....tomorrow i'm thinking of buying muzzles for them.

Any suggestions? Dog behaviorist?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Aww crap! You have basically stepped into ... serious "Deep Crap," here! Inter-Female Aggression! And Boxers are pretty much the "worst of the," worst, ni this regard!!
'
So your in "Deep Water," now ,,, and yep some member, "here," have been able to make multiple females work?? But ... that is not the norm???

Boxer rescues policy is "No female Boxers, will be placed in homes that already have a resident "Female Boxer!" They are that bad! So yeah pretty much the worst of the really bad in this regard!

And yep ... true to form, one year to eighteen months is pretty much right when "issues," will crop up! Muzzles are not gonna do it?? Cuz sooner or later ... you will say ... "gee everything looks good??" So I don't need the muzzle?? So you take the muzzles off?? Anr there they go again!

Males fight to "Breed," and females, fight to "Breathe!!" It's that bad!

But ... I am sigh, a never say never kinda guy myself?? ANd if you are willing to change ...uh pretty much "everything," with how you live day in and day out with these dog's??? I think that maybe possibly, you can make it work??

But other than that ... the best advice is to contact, a Boxer Rescue Rescue and Rehome the new girl! It's that bad ... sorry. :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
What happened here is your younger female has reached sexual maturity and she wants to be the dominate female now and your older dog is not having it. I am afraid you will have to keep them apart now before serious injury happens to one of them or you. Signs of a fight are one standing over the other one staring hard stiff legged sometimes its over a toy or food or no reason at all you can tell but this is a power struggle. One of your dogs is 9 so this isn't something you will have to live with forever my advice is to just keep them apart and next time if you want another dog get a boy I have always had male/female at a time and I have never had fighting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have wanted a second Boxer Female for over one year now - however, when I discussed in the forum I followed the advice and didn't go ahead. My breeder has also refused to let me have another female Boxer as it's too risky - but is happy for me to have a male puppy.
I hope you find a way to get it sorted - can only imagine how stressful it is for you.

Having dogs is so hard, and as I'm new to the game I never do anything without research and taking lots of advice from experienced dog folk - as I'm so scared of doing the wrong thing for me and the dog.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really sorry to hear this, I went through the same thing because we weren't aware of the issues with 2 female boxers in the same house.
Here's a link to our story:

I'm sorry to say, but on our experience the issue won't stop, it's just their nature.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Hmm, well the OP seem's to be gone??? I hope all is going well?? But a follow up with the rehoming ... I neglected to add. Is aside from contacting a "Boxer Rescue," is to offer to "Foster in Place." That takes the pressure off the "Rescue," and let's the owner have input in who the dog goes to. The rescue uses it's resources to find the dog a suitable home.

But make no mistake here, giving up a dog you have grown attached to can be truly, heart breaking! It can take month's to find a suitable home?? And you learn to live in fear of the phone ringing??? As a "foster," I kinda sucked ... 50/50?? I did rehome a dog I did not want ...cuz you know "Herder Dog," (Queensland Heeler) and I was just helping her out of a bad spot.

I accidently did the "Two Week Shutdown," cuz I did not care?? But I kept her safe sheltered inside!! (Nother Story) and safe. No point getting attached cuz she was gonna be gone be soon?? But two month's go by and she was still here?? Well at that point?? And since she was still here?? I might as well train her??? A big deal for me cuz ... there are a lot of "herder dog's," around here and the whole lot of them are A-Hole's!! So that is where I was coming from.

But of course sigh ...like many broad assumptions, I was wrong?? Molly was freaking brilliant! And despite being chained up in my neighbor's back yard and barking and howling ... all the freaking time for two year's!! She was uh "Brilliant!!" So all those bad "herder dog's," I had seen ...yeah it's the owner's!!

My wife had fallen in luv with her awhile back?? But she had never said anything to me about keeping her?? Cuz I have lot's of attitude about dog's not from Molosser line's. But finally Molly had won me over?? So I finally said to Marilyn ...well maybe we will keep her??? But unfortunately?? While my change of attitude was happening ... "Molly," was still online as being available.

We started to talk about maybe ... keeping her and then the phone rang!!! Sigh long story short a 13 year old and his mom wanted to meet her. I said sure cuz you know maybe he will say this dog suck's?? Yeah no and I knew ... we were done, when mom said can he take her for a walk??

At that point I knew, she was gone. They walked up and down our block like they'd been doing it for year's ... Molly Aced that test! They wanted her and Marilyn pulled "the do you want to break a little boy's heart at Christmas time card on me! We had as foster ... first right's but well I took to long and we let Molly go ... it was a very sad Christmas that year. :(

A long way of saying ...giving a dog you love up is not easy, so yeah ....

And my last Foster Fail was Rocky (WL GSD)!! He was almost gone ... I still have the letter (I wrote somewhere to his new owner.) But the deal fell thru and he was back unexpectedly that afternoon!??? I was on the phone the next morning and said ... "Take him off the list he's staying here!" We could not go thru that "heartbreak a third time??"

LOL ,he sent me to the ER for stitches about four month's later (breaking up a pack fight) Male on Male ... no Boxer involvement. But it was at around the 15 month range in GSD speak it's known as the "Old my dog changed???" Happen's all the time ...still, apparently???

Most likely ... I should have let him go but I could not. It worked out in the long run however, he turned into a great dog once I got my crap together! But that's another story. SO long way of saying giving a dog up that one has grown attached to ...is not easy.

Plan B if the OP does not want to give the dog up. And is not willing to make management changes in "BOTH," dog's lives and how they live day in day out with them. Is "Crate and Rotate."

There are numerous site's on how this is done but in essence the two dog's are "Never" allowed to be in the same space together loose. And I'll add that 9 times out of 10 "if," there are gonna be "issues??" It will usually be at home??

So to sum up ... offer to foster in place and working with a reputable "Boxer Rescue" (preferably) for most people is a good plan. And a viable plan B for most owners, is Crate and Rotate. Anyone can choose either of those option's. But ... the danger with Plan B, is your not really working on making a change in behaviour of either dog?? And if one let's there guard down ... there they go again!!

These ... "Rehome or Crate and Rotate," are the best option's for most owner's. Beyond that ...you get into "With Boxer's," you get into what do the "Pro's know??" And sigh much like "Human Aggression," they won't say, how they fix this???

JQP just want's pet's ... they aren't really plan on becoming Dog Trainer's or Behaviourist??? But on one occasion, here I was "forced to admit that yeah, I think inter female aggression can be fixed?? But I only know ... what I think are bit's and pieces of the answer??

Inter-female aggression with Boxer's in particular ...is pretty "specific," and I know that some "pro's," say they can solve it?? But ...it's not my call to out people as it were?? I only know "pieces of the answer??" One of which is dog's have no requirement to "like each other," if they live in the same home ...but they do have a requirement to be "Civil," to each other! It's a lower standard but I believe ... that much is achievable by JQP???

But ... I don't know and I have never tried myself?? I wanted a girl Boxer but I now have a female Boxer/Pit. And trust me on this one ... she is Boxer enough, that you'd best be careful of what you chose to chance??? So my next "White Boxer," sigh will most likely be a Boy??? Sigh I suppose there are worst thing's dog's wise ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 9 year old female boxer and a 1 1/2 year old female boxer. They have been getting along really well, no problems until a month ago. They have been getting into horrible fights resulting in vet visits every time. It has happened 4 times now. Some triggers we have picked up on and avoided a problem that might have occured. The majority of the time they sleep together...but out of the blue this evening they went at it again. We have kept them a part having leashes on them and in seperate rooms. They weren't' going outside together, we put baby gates up to seperate them....we think things are getting better, and out of the blue it happens again.

I'm not sure who instigates it...I don't know what to do....tomorrow i'm thinking of buying muzzles for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my situation:

First of all, I want to thank you all for giving me your feedback and taking time out off your day to help.

The 2 dogs are and will always be separated. We have permanently placed sturdy baby gates through out the house to keep them a part. They will have leashes on when switching rooms or passing one another...far apart of course.

The vet also put both on prozac on a trial basis hoping it will take the edge off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That sounds like a great solution, your older female will enjoy her days alot more without being challenged all the time and I am sure your household will be more peaceful and less stressful for all. I am sure its nerve wracking and upsetting wondering if the dogs are going to get into it all the time. Be careful with drugs like Prozac and trazadone I have heard from a Vet those drugs can actually lower the bite threshold in dogs I have never been a fan of medication for behavioral problems. That's just my OP! (LOL)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Jen1427. I think keeping them separated is the best solution. Your older gal get to enjoy her life as it has been and the youngster will be accustomed and settle into her new routine. You together with your husband will probably be able to nice nice walks with them but once inside again to their own areas. Considering the age of your older gal I don't think I would regime either of them. I've had multiple dogs and some that didn't get along, I just kept them separate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We spent 3 months of "musical dogs" during the get acquainted and training period, and then again after they started having issues, and for the 3 months it took for us to find a suitable home. So I understand how much fun that is!

Keeping them apart permanently wasn't a good option for us because we take them on trips and didn't have room to keep them apart in the car. But I would have done it as long as needed to find the right home for her.

I also know how difficult it is to rehome a dog you love, but once I saw the positive effect it had on our original girl, and how happy the new girl was with the new family it helped ease the pain.

Even when they were getting along they both seemed a little tense sometimes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts

We've been breeding boxers for over 40 years, and have usually had more than one female in the house. Only recently did we keep our first male. We'ne never had a problem with multiple females.
The dog is a pack animal by nature, and generally the female " alpha bitch" rules the pack. YOU must be that alpha bitch. When the female begins "feeling her oats" @ 10-18 months, she will test limits. My wife has always gently but firmly taken the pup to the ground, demonstrating her dominance. That seems to settle the issue of who is dominant. Dogs want and accept leadership, but like any other developing animal, will test boundaries. You must be the one to set those boundaries.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've been breeding boxers for over 40 years, and have usually had more than one female in the house. Only recently did we keep our first male. We'ne never had a problem with multiple females.
The dog is a pack animal by nature, and generally the female " alpha bitch" rules the pack. YOU must be that alpha bitch. When the female begins "feeling her oats" @ 10-18 months, she will test limits. My wife has always gently but firmly taken the pup to the ground, demonstrating her dominance. That seems to settle the issue of who is dominant. Dogs want and accept leadership, but like any other developing animal, will test boundaries. You must be the one to set those boundaries.
Dave this makes sense. I wondered if the only reason the Alpha battles start, is when the two females think the position of Alpha is up for grabs (so no clear leadership from the owner)???

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
i think sometimes that works and sometimes not. I have always been the alpha at our house but I have a male/female ratio so no fighting. I think some dogs start fighting because they don't know who is boss but that's not always the case they will sometimes fight for a second position as well in a dogs world you know what rolls down hill to the weakest.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
We've been breeding boxers for over 40 years, and have usually had more than one female in the house. Only recently did we keep our first male. We've never had a problem with multiple females.
If you have been Breeding for over forty years (and I have no reason to doubt it.) :)
And have never had an issue with multiple female's??? Then either your females have a more ...laid back temperament than everyone else's?? Or you guys are better than everyone else as regard's multiple female's. Either one is fine but that is the norm.

And giving folks the ... expectation's, that they can gently but firmly "Alpha Roll," there dog ... LOL good luck with that?? Most likely (save for folk's seeking this information) most owner's have never seen there "Baby Girl's," nut up as it were.

I have in my Struddell, when I manged to accidentally kick in the maternal instinct, over Baby Kittens being born??? I messed up granted ... I had both dog's in the room (on either side of me about seven feet) while kitten's were being born. Struddell watched each new birth in silence and with "RESPECT!"

Gunther 85 lb American Band Dogge, thought this was exciting stuff! And he greeted each birth, with a hop and a loud bark, this is exciting stuff Yo.

I did not notice "Struddell," getting more and more ticked off at Gunther's ...lack of "RESPECT!" And finally she had had enough!And if Daddy was not gonna learn Gunther some respect ... then she would! And she cleared me in a single bound and got Gunther by the nose skin of his nose!

Well this was Daddy's Baby Girl and Gunther wanted "No Part of this Madness, let Daddy with this Crazy Bitch! He got the heck of Dodge, right quick! Formerly dog aggressive and all he wanted no part of this madness! So not "Two WIlling Combatant's," just me and Stru.

And she was Flat Gone!! She was hopping and spinning and snapping at the air??? Totally Berserk?? I had to get her out of the room before she bashed into something??? And she no longer who I was ...so you know using your word's was not gonna work. I had to maneuver behind her and put her in a tight headlock (so as not to get bit!) And then managed to get outside to let her go???

But no that would not work cuz then she add "Speed and DIstance," to the rage?? So I took her outside and laid down on her ...until I felt her body relax!

OK then ... I relaxed my grip and let her up. And she pop's up and look's at me with a smile ... as if to say "Hey Dad, what's up??"

My point is ... that is the kinda rage "one could be dealing with??" It was not two Female's but it was raging hormones. And fixed or not does not change it ( a false sense of security) and rescue's are fixed anyway. And Boxer Rescues ... were seeing it all the time. So "Responsible Rescue's," won't place a Female Boxer with another Female Boxer.

And this was with one dog, not two dog's intent on killing each other! If you get a "blow up," like that with two willing combatant's?? And your by yourself, Good Luck with that.

Now none of this is say "Two Female's," can't work?? But the sheer dumb luck approach ... does not usually work out to well?? Rehome and or Crate and Rotate is a better option for most people.

Oh yeah and my preference is for the Girl's. So I'm most definitely not a hater. But sigh ... my wife "screwed me over with our (new) Boxer/Pit Bella, so yeah ...

Uhh oh ... I did it again??? A bit over the top perhaps?? My bad but I wanted to make sure no one contemplating Two Females, had no "Illusions as to just how difficult it "could be," if they don't get along.

It can be done but that are not a lot of folk's "here" doing it. I recall recall one or two in a few year's with more than one female and they gave no details?? No big deal perhaps for them??

So sorry, if I was a bit over the top?? I only realized it when I forgot to say ... Welcome Aboard. Everyone's experience is useful for our collective knowledge of course. So yeah ... my bad ... again?? ;(

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Keeping them apart permanently wasn't a good option for us because we take them on trips and didn't have room to keep them apart in the car. But I would have done it as long as needed to find the right home for her.
A couple of quick questions. Did you actually have a issue with them in the car or was it that you were concerned you would?? And when they got into it ... where did it happen??

When I was having my issue's with my first WL GSD and learning what "Rank Drive," was?? I had to break up five pack fight's between my Band Dogge and GSD. And wound up with a trip to the ER for stitches, Rocky did it, but I messed up in breaking them up, in one dust up. And Rocky always started it!

But it never happened in the Car, the Backyard or on outing's. Only in the home and Rocky would always start that crap, right under my nose and always in the living room!!???

And there were signal's of a blow up but I did not understand at the time ... live and learn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A couple of quick questions. Did you actually have a issue with them in the car or was it that you were concerned you would?? And when they got into it ... where did it happen??

When I was having my issue's with my first WL GSD and learning what "Rank Drive," was?? I had to break up five pack fight's between my Band Dogge and GSD. And wound up with a trip to the ER for stitches, Rocky did it, but I messed up in breaking them up, in one dust up. And Rocky always started it!

But it never happened in the Car, the Backyard or on outing's. Only in the home and Rocky would always start that crap, right under my nose and always in the living room!!???

And there were signal's of a blow up but I did not understand at the time ... live and learn.
After they started fighting we didn't take a chance with them in the car, would have been a major deal if they got into it while we were on the highway!
Once they were together they would have the occasional tussle that seemed a little more aggressive then normal playing, but they would stop immediately upon command.
Then there was one time they won't stop with me really getting in their face, and the final time was really ugly. No warning, no unquie situation, just went at it.
It was a good thing there were three of us to stop it, two of us grabbing them by the back legs and pulled them apart. Couldn't trust them after that, so its more months of "musical dogs"!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
After they started fighting we didn't take a chance with them in the car, would have been a major deal if they got into it while we were on the highway!
Once they were together they would have the occasional tussle that seemed a little more aggressive then normal playing, but they would stop immediately upon command.
Then there was one time they won't stop with me really getting in their face, and the final time was really ugly. No warning, no unique situation, just went at it.
It was a good thing there were three of us to stop it, two of us grabbing them by the back legs and pulled them apart. Couldn't trust them after that, so its more months of "musical dogs"!
Thanks, ... as you will note on here, Thankfully, we don't get a lot of "Dog's Gone Wrong Stuff" as regard's "Pack Fight's!" :)

But if you want to experience uh "excitement," in Dog ownership?? Adding a second female and already having one ... is most likely the quickest way there??? Nothing like that rush of adrenaline, when you plop down to relax and find suddenly your breaking up a Pack Fight??? Good times, Good times???
But I digress, so last question still, cause I want to really drill this down.

And I'll except the "Out of the Blue, bit" been there down that ... got the stitches! Not Struddell ... she gave plenty of warring with our "Baby Kittens" situation. But ... were the door's indoors with everyone present and ... "Free to Roam at Will???"

·
Registered
29 Posts
The three of us were in the kitchen calmly talking, and as usual, the dogs were hanging out with us, with free run of the complete house. I didn't see what triggered it, happened really quick, and both were going at it, it wasn't one attacking the other.
After they were separated they would sniff each other through the wrought iron gates throughout the house and didn't show aggression but I could tell by the look that letting them get together again wasn't a safe idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts