Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aww crap! You have basically stepped into ... serious "Deep Crap," here! Inter-Female Aggression! And Boxers are pretty much the "worst of the," worst, ni this regard!!
'
So your in "Deep Water," now ,,, and yep some member, "here," have been able to make multiple females work?? But ... that is not the norm???

Boxer rescues policy is "No female Boxers, will be placed in homes that already have a resident "Female Boxer!" They are that bad! So yeah pretty much the worst of the really bad in this regard!

And yep ... true to form, one year to eighteen months is pretty much right when "issues," will crop up! Muzzles are not gonna do it?? Cuz sooner or later ... you will say ... "gee everything looks good??" So I don't need the muzzle?? So you take the muzzles off?? Anr there they go again!

Males fight to "Breed," and females, fight to "Breathe!!" It's that bad!

But ... I am sigh, a never say never kinda guy myself?? ANd if you are willing to change ...uh pretty much "everything," with how you live day in and day out with these dog's??? I think that maybe possibly, you can make it work??

But other than that ... the best advice is to contact, a Boxer Rescue Rescue and Rehome the new girl! It's that bad ... sorry. :(
Does the female boxer issue only apply with other boxers? I have a female 16 mths old and a 7 year old boston terrier. They play together (I don't allow but a couple laps around the yard and always, I side and out, have exits for the Boston as my Boxer gets too rough....just in case.
Should I be concerned about aggression? (Truble finally started her cycle at 16 mths and has been kinda mellow/less chaotic. I was hoping it meant she'd calm down a bit, my boys were never this hyper.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That female to female aggression is not exclusive to boxers I have seen other breeds have this problem as well in fact one of those dog behavior shows on TV featured a man with Boston Terriers and his females were getting into horrible fights so yes if I were you I would keep an eye on the situation with your two girls. That's not to say your girls will definitely fight but you should keep an eye on them in case of any trouble. There are a great many people who successfully keep dogs of the same sex I think it depends on the dogs and their temperaments. Your boxer female is not at sexual maturity so monitor things closely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue. Posted on a here a few months back. Have two boxer pups that were lovey-dovey for a couple of months...and now cannot be in the same room. They are actually sisters/littermates but were separated for 8 weeks between us adopting one and then the other, so no littermate syndrome. We have had them separated for the last couple of months but it is unsustainable. We have tried a bunch of things but nothing works. I am definitely the Alpha around here but when they don't care, they start fights that seem like they'd end in death for one or both if we did not intervene. Separately, they are fantastic pups, they get along with other dogs outside the home...it is heartbreaking but one will have to go. We see no other outcome.😭

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Does the female boxer issue only apply with other boxers? I have a female 16 mths old and a 7 year old boston terrier. They play together (I don't allow but a couple laps around the yard and always, I side and out, have exits for the Boston as my Boxer gets too rough.... just in case.
Should I be concerned about aggression? (Truble finally started her cycle at 16 mths and has been kinda mellow/less chaotic. I was hoping it meant she'd calm down a bit, my boys were never this hyper.
Technically Boxer Rescue policy is "other breed's maybe??" The is a Boston Terrier is kinda of a "Maybe??" As regard's an "Other Breed??"

Sure it's not a "Boxer," but it is still a Molosser Breed. So how many "characteristics," would carry over?? I don't know??

But at this point ... you have a fighting chance, of heading off issue's, without turning, the dog's world completely upside down ... that much. :)

First if you have not been walking the girl one on one with you?? You should start doing that now. One on one time alone with you is important. And it needs to be a "Structured Walk," not the dog dragging you around the block if she does that??? And then you can take the other dog out with the girl our one on one again. Yeah a PIA but the "Walk's," are important.

The play time thing is a judgement call?? If the BT has to "escape," to get some peace?? Then it's too much. If you can't play nice ... you don't play together at all! But you should/maybe try to interrupt, any over the top behaviour with a "NO!" If she hear's "No Enough," she will/should figure it out on her own. ANd learn to "Dial It Down. It's a judgement call on your part.

The big change is here ... most likely?? No screwing around indoor's! Outside is for play indoor's is to chill out. In essence "No Free Roaming Indoor's!" You can't control a dog ... if you don't know where they are???

So you need to train "both," dog's in the "Place Command! And do "Sit on the Dog," with both dog's. Indoor's Once Trained indoor's you will put both "Dog in Place." And you can release them to go out side and play and potty.

And since they are not actually fighting ... you have a lot of wiggle room! Place (once trained) simply means you stay there and don't move from that area! SO if they each have a favorite chair (Boxer Board) so I'm "assuming the dog's are on the furniture. :)

But if they do that's fine. Just point and say "Place," and that is where they stay ... till you release them! Now all of this ... might be overkill for you still?? Since you don't have problem's?? But it is still a good policy "anyway," and a side benefit. Would be if you have a knock at the "Door??" You won't have dog's going crazy! :)

OK that stuff said here is the link. :

And you noted boy's were easier?? LOL, I suppose that's why a book I read many year's ago about Boxer's said simply ... "The Girl's Are DIfferent??" :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
That female to female aggression is not exclusive to boxers I have seen other breeds have this problem as well in fact one of those dog behavior shows on TV featured a man with Boston Terriers and his females were getting into horrible fights so yes if I were you I would keep an eye on the situation with your two girls. That's not to say your girls will definitely fight but you should keep an eye on them in case of any trouble. There are a great many people who successfully keep dogs of the same sex I think it depends on the dogs and their temperaments. Your boxer female is not at sexual maturity so monitor things closely.
Nope it's not "exclusive to Boxer's," GSD female can do it to. We had a few "Breeder's on Germanshepardforum, that had to do a lot of rotating. And most likely your dealing with 75 lbs worth of dog's with those guy's ah girl's.

Still Germanshepard Rescues don't have a "Boilerplate Warning Against Two Female's?? Boxer's are the only Breed specific rescue, that I am aware of that state's that?? Now, I did not know about BT's Female's having issue's?? But yeah I'm not that surprised. :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I have the same issue. Posted on a here a few months back. Have two boxer pups that were lovey-dovey for a couple of months...and now cannot be in the same room. They are actually sisters/littermates but were separated for 8 weeks between us adopting one and then the other, so no littermate syndrome. We have had them separated for the last couple of months but it is unsustainable. We have tried a bunch of things but nothing works. I am definitely the Alpha around here but when they don't care, they start fights that seem like they'd end in death for one or both if we did not intervene. Separately, they are fantastic pups, they get along with other dogs outside the home...it is heartbreaking but one will have to go. We see no other outcome.😭
I had to look up your prior post. You should have started a thread but whatever. At this point, if your not willing to Crate Train "Both," Dog's just as a start?? It would be best to find, a Boxer Rescue, and offer to "To Foster In Place," and they can help you find a suitable home.

Sometime's, we as dog owner's "Screw Up??" And we "don't, just get to add dog "X." And go on with life as usual??? And now where you are ... is as bad as it get's!!

I clock five Pack FIght's myself. And only my work with American Band Dogge, has allowed me to still have full use of my left hand! Cuz in the last "conflict," when divided into the fur ball to break Gunther and Rocky up. I messed up and my left hand wound up between between Gunther Jaw's!! I still remember thinking ... "this is gonna hurt!!!" But as soon as Gunther felt flesh on his jaw's??? He let up!! Even with 113 lb's of Working line GSD, on his back ... he still knew that hand was mine!! He was a good dog ...

Freaking Rocky the GSD ... gave me thestitchess! But it worked out in the long run (He paid me back for my effort with him) but that is ... another story.

None of us ... sign up to become "Dog Trainers, hmmm or Behaviourist?? But sometimes "Crap Happen's??" And if it does we have to decide ... "If we are gonna run with the "Big Dawg's or Stay on The Porch??" It's pretty much that simple.

And just to be clear ... you are pretty much in absolutely the worst situation possible! And while I do think?? If you put the work in ... you can make it doable?? As long as you still have both dog's ... you will never, let go of some sense of anxiety??

I never was able to solve my "Pack Fight Issue's" as Gunther passed following the last "Battle Royal." But my GSD ... hey no problem, cuz I don't much care for people either, was the next issue??!! So Human Aggression now??? Are you kidding me?? Worked out in the long wrong. And despite with (toddler's no less *which he did not like!!!") In an unsupervised circumstance he "proved," he could make "Good Choices!"

Even still, I could never let ... who he was go completely?? He was always" a Responsibility" and one I took seriously! We had 10 year's together and he proved to be a great dog! But even still ... I never forgot what he was capable of.

My point here is ... now you get it. You do need to turn both dog's world upside down if you "chose," to keep both! They are gonna need to get out of your bed and both in crate's at a minimum! Hmm if they both still sleep with you??

21 - 26 of 26 Posts