Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts before about this. I know to rub their paws, maybe do one at a time, maybe use treats, things to keep them calm. I just want to get a view of how many people use clippers or dremel. I know many actually have them done at vet or such, but I will want to do them at home, but wonder which will be easier. My breeder said once they get used to the dremel, it is a piece of cake, and it kind of cauterizes if you accidentally hit the quick a little? ( just getting ready for our pup and buying supplies)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I take both of our dogs to the groomer to have the nails clipped. Donner has a real issue with his feet being messed with. Must be enough distractions at the groomers so it doesn't bother him. It's $5 a dog which is really reasonable.  :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
The ONLY way that I can do Cooper's nails is to bring him out to the garage and put him up on my workbench then grind them with a dremel.  He still tries to bite the dremel, but he gives up after a while and lets me grind them.  If he's on the ground, I can't get near him with the dremel or clippers.  I've even tried an emery board and it's a no-go.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I clip Tango's nails ... BUT ... i was able to do it while he was really young and sleeping.  Now, it's more of a problem...he wakes up and doesn't like it!  I can maybe get two nails at a time!  Thinking of paying the $10 and letting PetSmart do it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I did it until I clipped the quick "a little."  There was blood everywhere and he was absolutely horrified.  No thanks, I'll pay the 5 bucks or whatever and let my dog be mad at somebody else.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was actually just wondering about this... I usually take my dogs to petco or whatever to get them clipped, however the other day on tv i saw an ad for the "peticure" Which is pretty much like a dremel. And I was also wondering people's opinion on this subject. Thanks for asking

http://peticure.com/

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I just clip the nails on my gang. Savvy and Reese are always calm and just lay there. Samson is a bit squirmy...i think maybe is ADHD cause he is always moving and cant EVER sit still...unless he is trying to climb on my lap for some love!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just learned about the dremel. I think I will switch to this as clipping really bothers Harleigh. And you can get a shorter nail with a dremel. I guess groomers will do it with an extra fee, but reasonable. Have you seen that infomercial about Peticare? Kinda looks nice to have.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you get a dremel, get the extension cable for it.  Makes maneuvering the grinder much easier.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I just clip Maddies, and then every other clip I bring her to Petco for a dremel. I don't dare use a dremel on her myself.  8O
Me + Electric tools = Bad news!  :lol:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use dremel.For me it's the only way to go.I don't cut the quick, i can get them nice and short and smooth.If you introduce the dremel slowly,get them use to the sound and touch the nail with the dremel off and give treat when you do it.you should not have any problems. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use clippers and if they need it, i use a regualr nail file. Fredo will pretty much just sit there and let us do anythign to him but I think sonny is going to be more of a challenge. I was thinking of getting that peticure thing too. Petco will cut the nails for free sometimes, but can you believe they wanted $40 for a bath!!!!?

·
Registered
291 Posts
i use rocks!!!??? haha we have rock in our yard- oh and the tile too really helps to keep their nails worn down - my boys would not sit still long enough for me to try i may however use the dremel on my 3 yr old  skin baby he hates getting his nails cut its a struggle even when he's asleep! hah!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I use a Dremel - clippers (especially the 'guillotine' type) can pinch a dog's nails - even if they don't cut the quick - which is uncomfortable for them.  (If you do use clippers, the 'pliers' type are better for Boxer-sized (or larger) dogs.)  I have a cordless, but it's really only good for one dog if I'm doing a full trim rather than just a quick touch-up.  I've tried the Oster nail grinder but IMO it was poor substitute for my trusty old Dremel. ;)

I was interested in the Peticure but a few people who've tried weren't all that impressed - the concept is great but the 'guide' that covers the grinding stone isn't clear, so you have no idea how close you are to the quick.  

There's an excellent tutorial on Dremeling dog nails here:
http://www.doberdawn.com (click "How to Dremel Dog Nails" on the left side)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosier's nails usually get worn down pretty good with his walk schedule. Otherwise, I just take him to the groomer and let them snip. I thought about getting a clipper, but those black nails make me think twice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. When we had our minpin, it took two techs to hold her, and one tech to clip. and she also had to have a muzzle, and she looked like a demon spawn! At first they teased me, why don't you want to cut a little minpin's nails? I told them that they would find out within the first minute. After the three were done, they didn't tease me anymore, lol. (We got her at 4 years old though, so harder to introduce to clippers and such) I think I will go with the dremel. I guess if I do it early as a pup, and get the pup familiar with it, it shouldn't be as an ordeal, I hope :)

Jennifer, why don't you just post a new post, and give out all those links, lol. I try to follow your posts, just to see what other good info and links you give out. They are ALWAYS helpful, thank you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, one other thing, the link said about every week or two, to keep the quick from getting longer, but when did you "first" clip your pups? At what age?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LOL - thanks, Drayken! :)

Breeder start clipping puppy nails at an early age (you can use human or even baby nail clippers when they're that young) - actually, they often have to be trimmed shortly after birth.  (The same thing might be true of human babies, now that I think of it  - hence the 'hand socks' they wear at the hospital.)  So you can start trimming your pup's nails as soon as you bring them home - the sooner the better, really, as the more they're exposed to those things when they're young, the better they'll accept them when they're older.  You can even grind nails at 8 weeks, it generally just takes a quick 'tap' as the nails are much softer in puppies (and quick taps with lots of praise and reinforcement is good at first, anyway - I've often had my husband stand in front of the puppy - we use a grooming table - with a big spoonful of peanut butter, and let them lick while I'm doing their nails.  You can smear peanut butter on a wall, cabinet, refrigerator door, etc. if you're by yourself and want to try this. :) )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts