Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so since we now know that the "quick" finder that beckhams2mom bought dont work. Lucky for me most of my girls nails are white/clear so i can see the quick. My problem is their nails are kinda long, but i cant trim them any further back without cutting the quick. Is there anyway to "shrink" or scale back a quick to where the nails can be shortter?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yep....when you trimth nails get as close to the quick as you can...when you do this the quick recedes...soeach time you trim you can cut the nail shorter...dremeling actually allows you to get closer to the quick, isless painful, and allows you to round the nail off for a nice finish...

hope this helps...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like Liz said, the more frequently you trim them, the more the quick will recede...I have a link for a per dremel Andrea, you might want to check it out.....I'll also post a link that has the best instructions on how to Dremel your dogs nails...... :)

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail ... 0000002871

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i appreciate.the nails can get HURT if either of the girls pop up on ya unexpectedly. by bf got a paw across the face oneday when Reese was playing and it knocked his contact out and had a scratch across the nose. the bad thing was i had just trimmed as far as i could go with out hitting the quick. i will try the dremel though, havent done that before

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I;m adding links daily to our web list, the link to using a Dremel I got posted already..It is a great step by step with pictures on how to use a Dremel.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do the nail clipping on both Mia and Toby but only use the dremmel on him.. His nails are like talons and are super long .. I'm "grooming" Mia's to hopefully stay fairly short..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Obviously I have the same problem with Beckham's front nails.  The back ones are nice a short (without me having to trim) but the front ones do get long and are painful if you get a paw to the face or bare leg.  I do try to take the tip off once a week or so, but really want to get a dremel instead.  Then I could keep them nice and rounded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts