Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ashley has gotten SO used to having her one ear taped, that I figured, I would put her in the "Sit/Down" command, and trim the wicked toenail she has..I had her lay down..and as soon as I picked up her paw..she jumped up..and gave me a good scratch across the face with the OTHER foot! OUCH!.. I was stunned, because she lets me do anything to her without fussing..and I have ALWAYS played with her feet ( she only gets cranky when I do it when she's asleep ).
She has only grass, and a smallish cement porch outside, and the walking is too short ( her being only 5 months ), so she gets to the point where a Lion has nothing on those sharp things!!
Any ideas anyone beside laying on her and pinning her to the floor!! LOL

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Maverick knows what the clippers are for so when he sees me with them he wont let me touch his paws..any other time he is FINE but if it is something to do with his nails he freaks out. Usually it takes both of us to get his nails done but im thinking im gonna start paying for it because it is a huge headache. One suggestion i have is a dremmel or electric file that you would get in a home manicure set...it worked a few times but it took longer. Let me know what you find that works!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. But Devil Dog thinks ANYTHING that makes noise is a TOY.. ( ie" vaccum, lawn mower, hair dryer..ect) I have this vision of me cutting her lips off when she bites the Dremmel!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I tell ya, it's a female thing! They are so sooo stubborn. :eh: I was able to do anything to my male, but my female is so touchy and she is actually more maintenance between the ear cleanings, chin cleanings, and nail trims. Just in the past two months she has let me clip her nails. I used to have to go to petco and have them dremel them. Now at least she is letting me trim them. I started real slow with her. I would let her smell the clippers and then I would clip one nail a day. Yeah, it's a slow process, but I finally got there.
Good luck with Ashley!  :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Try telling BIBBY it's a "female thing"!!! Or maybe I'll just start callin' him a big ol' girl at NAIL TIME!!! What a BABY!!!  Sorry to hear about that face scratch!! OUCH!!! :?

Julia

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Roxy LOVES her nails done!! All I have to say is come and down and shes fast asleep while I do them! I cut and dremmel her so it takes a lil while! By time Im on the second paw shes out like a light snoring and all!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Same here... I usually do "spa day" ie bath, ears and nails after a nice long play at the dog park.  I sit on the floor and they lay/sleep in my lap.  I can even file them down w/ a nail file after cutting 'em to make them not so sharp.  

My suggestion is get her nice and tired and see if maybe she'll be too tired to care what you are doing to her  :wink:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the tired puppy  trim...its kinda like What Donya says about Maverick..she suddenly will get wind that I have the trimmers in hand..and well..my face is proof of how bizzare she acts. It works for me to do it myself, because I got really lucky and got 16 White/clear nails..so I am Miss Unfearfull of cutting the wick, I want top give in to the Petsmart thing..but I want her to know she can't get away with this either..Sigh...I'm gonna try the one nail/massive prasie route next

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My Talia is finally getting totally fine with the nail trim.  It's a work of "progress" and Tootsie has the right method to try.  In fact I used to just take my finger nails and kind of pinch them around a toe nail for her and make a funny noise like "zoop zoop" while I do it.  I would just do it multiple times thru out the day.  Then I let her sniff the clipper and I feed a bunch of treats during the ordeal of practicing clipping.  Then I maybe clipped one nail. Sometimes I will lightly blow in her face while holding a paw up.  It helps to really desensitize them to the whole thing about their toenails.  Talia used to be really good about it as a young pup and then went thru "the phase" you are describing.  It just takes some slow work just like everything else.  Stick with it and you will get it done.  Sometimes I start with a paw and do one.  A couple of minutes later take a different paw and do one.  Then take a back paw and do one and then she just gets good about it.  It tell her what a wonderful girl she is about it the whole time and give a treat after each snip, pull or whatever I do to them at that time.

Nano

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I dislike dealing with a struggling dog for nail trims. So with mine I would take out the clippers every single day as pups, and just tap it on their nails. and actually clip them about once a week.
it's a good plan, had promise and everything. But my two hate having their nails done anyways.
so with diesel my husband has to hold on to him for dear life, while I cut his nails. which stinks for him cause I'm really slow at it. lol

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I get Tango when he's sleeping.  Luckily his are all white/clear also.  He let's me do anything when he's out like a light!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah!! thanks Nano..sounds like ANOTHER "stage" we get to go through with this silly dog. At least you and others gave me hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel. ( and my face really appreciates knowing this too  :lol:  )
Guess I just got used to my others that wore theirs down on contreate surfaces, which Ashley is denied still.. I am going to start today with the "let her sniff" exposure..and see how we progress day by day..but I am keeping my distance with the face..looks like jack the ripper snuck in and gouged my cheeK   :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wish I could do my own nails..Samson's are soo darn thick I can't deal with it, so he goes in for trims...I even bought a Dremel, but my god it would take me forever to get his done!! Angel was used to the Dremel(thank you Rhonda), but I figure if I take one in to be trimmed, might as well do both, now with #3 on his way, guess it's time to go back to the Dremel...Sounds to me that is just a phase that Ashley is going thru...I was told to make it like a game in a way, roll the Dremel around, let them sniff it, run it a long their nails(turned off) you get the idea....Hoping your face heals quick, I know how nasty those nail cuts can be

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been touching Isis's paws since she was 3 months and still she fusses!  It must be a girl thing because my male lets me do any type of grooming to him with no fuss!  Luckily, I live in the city, and the cement sidewalks file down her nails for me.  The best time I found trimming her nails is when she is dopey, calm and submissive.  Basically before she goes to sleep.

That scratch must have hurt like a son a of b!

good luck

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sometimes when we are at Petco the groomer there will clip his nails for free...try going in there and asking them how much for a nail trim, i bet they will just do it for free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts