Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we've had maple for about 15 days now and she still doesn't respond to her name 100%, when we are trying to do some training with her and she can smell a treat near by she responds, but when she is outside or playing or if there ANY sort of distractions she doesn't respond, and I read in some training literature that it's not good to keep calling her if she didn't respond on the first try, it said to get her attention in any other manner and keep working on the name.  The breeders did have her named something else but she didn't seem to recognize that name either so we felt it was ok to change it.  I'm just wondering how long did it take till your puppies began to recognize their names and would respond during play or outside with distractions.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
She is still young, so it can take some time....plus when they are younger they get distracted very easily. you should read the sticky on recall....it helps with both coming when called and name association. I got my Savannah when she was 2 and changed her name b/c i didnt like it and she didnt even acknowledge that i had called her. It took a few months for her to recognize it.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Took Henry about 4 - 6 weeks.  He wasn't named before we got him, so it was the first time he'd been called anything besides "puppy". :D
And he was 14 weeks old or so when we got him.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It's just going to take awhile I think. Remember to her everything is like learning a new language in a foreign country, she just can't remember it all at once :lol: Blitzen used to come when we called Donner, she's finally got if figured out :wink:

·
Registered
362 Posts
We changed Cooper's name a couple days after we got him.  I think the name change was tougher on us.  Occasionally he didn't seem to listen to us call him his new name so we'd throw the old one in as well and would respond.  It probably took about 2 weeks or so before he knew what was going on.  Took us about a month before we learned to quit calling him by his old name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts