Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused!
We have had Brian (other dog) for 3 years, and never had a problem with him. He has always been such a good dog! until the last week or so. I have no idea whats wrong with him, hes been going potty all over the house, and last night he bit Tyson in the nose. it was so hard that Tyson went in his crate to hide. Hes not listening, when we are outside he runs down the street, when you call him he sits there and looks at you, and when you go to pick him up he runs the other direction. Lately, since we got Tyson we have been leaving him out of his crate all the time, until last night. I told him that he was grounded. LOL.
Anyway, Im not sure if we are giving him too much leway and hes just taking it for granted, but Tyson is picking up his bad habbits because hes trying to learn from him. Its getting to the point where I cant controll them when they are together. I have to take them outside seperatley, when they are in the house, Tyson trys to play with him and it turns into a big fight. I have to stop that because Tyson is going to be able to smash him with only a paw soon.
I HATE yelling at them, I feel like a bad mom, and it hurts to have to put them in time out too. Tyson needs his excersize because of all the hip problems that boxers are prone to, so leaving him in his crate is NOT an option for me. I started taking them out on leads, even in the backyard, so that they might understand that going outside without them is a priveledge. Other than that I dont know what to do. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
948 Posts
NILIF with Brian... He's most likely acting out.. A lot of people recommend letting dogs work out their order after you're established alpha and I don't agree with it.. Because if you have two head strong dogs, they're going to go at it be/c they won't want to back down.. What breed is he?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Have you been giving Tyson more time? He may be getting jelous lol I know that sounds silly! I havent had any experiences with this but with a planned puppy in the future I want to learn lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really make it a point in my evenings (the only time im home) to have time training them together, and then seperate one on one time. I really try to give them the same amount of attention. Unless one is being good or bad.

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol I had a chihuahua and she was Queen B...

In that case.. I don't really know.. I let me chihuahua walk all over me.. haha..

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
My mom's chihuahua was the same way. The was the alpha female and no one was gonna take that from her. She was completely potty trained and if the sliding door was open she'd open the screen door on her own to go outside. Once my neice was born and was kind of having run of my parents house she started peeing in the house... my father was MAD. I honestly don't remember how we fixed the situation. I know at one point my father basically told her if she didn't straighten up she was going to be an outside dog! A chihuahua? That's pretty crazy huh!??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ohhhhhhhhhhhh. so its not just Brian. We have tooo much land, he would get lost if he was outside for more than 5 mins lol. lost or eaten by one of the storks we have in the yard lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would say that you need to give Brian more attention than Tyson - after all, he was there first and he needs to be reassured that he's not going to be usurped by Tyson.  Practically all the literature I read before we got Hector said that you should spoil your existing dog a little bit more than the new arrival in order to ease the transition.  And in my experience, who gets to be alpha rarely has anything to do with size!

It definitely sounds to me like Brian's nose is a bit out of joint with Tyson's arrival.  A lot of dogs show their displeasure at a change in the status quo by doing "dirty protests".  Just make sure he realises that he is still your no. 1 guy (but also make sure he knows that this behaviour won't be tolerated) and things should settle down again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's very common for chihuahua's to have behavior problems because of their size, people are less likely to discipline them.

Just make sure you're enforcing the fact that Brian is top dog in your house, by putting his food down first, he gets treats first, he gets everything first. But make sure you're also enforcing yourself as top person in your house. Follow the NILIF procedures, and try to take them for walks together, but dont let them walk in front of you. Walking helps them release a lot of pent up energy, and leaves them a bit more satisfied with life, so he'll stop dwelling on little things, like the arrival of a new pup. =P

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I believe it's called "Napolean complex"..Small dogs just don't think they are small..My 2 used to get terrorized by this pack of small dogs and they had no fear what so ever of mine....Alpha is not a size thing, it's all attitude...Samson is my Alpha and I am always very careful how I act around other dogs..When we brought Angel home, I did the same...I made sure that he got the majorityof my attention at first, until the two of them got better aquainted..Now, it doesn't matter...So, yea, I would go back to basics...Try as much as possible to spend more time with Brian, feed him first, give him his treats first, everything....Let him out the door first! Believe me, it does matter...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts