Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new boxer puppy. He's 3 months old. He's been having nasal discharge, snotty looking and then crusty. I wipe it and it comes right back. should i call my vet or is this normal for a boxer? I'm not very familiar with flat faced dogs and what's normal for them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome.

I'd call your vet if you have not. I agree it sounds more viral or bacterial to me. Our boys sometimes have a little clear drainage if something irritates their noses, but it is not thick or crusty.

On a separate nose topic - The top tip of their noses can become a little hard and dry, our vet recommended we apply Vaseline when they get like this to soften them back up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went to the vet today, they gave him antibiotics. Vet said it might be kennel cough but just keep an eye on him because it could turn into pneumonia. He's been trying to cough up phlegm too so I'm glad we went to the vet. I took him in the bathroom with me while I showered so the steam wound help loosen that up.

When we got the dog we called the vet to make, what I thought would be a well visit for getting a new puppy, but they just made the appointment for next month when he's due for his next shots. Im glad I didn't wait till then!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Glad to hear he saw the vet. I always no matter what take a new pup for a well check. I just did that with the pup I have now, not boxer we went for a well check then a week later for his shots, lol. But I wanted to be sure I purchased a healthy pup. Hope he is on the mend and yes keep a good eye on him someone else's dog, Talos I believe had kennel cough was treated but then had symptoms and ended up with pneumonia. So whats your lil guys name and we love lots of puppy pictures! LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His name is Bruce. His picture is in my profile pic. He is the best little guy ever. So mellow, smart and loves us so much already. 🙂

·
Registered
30 Posts
We went to the vet today, they gave him antibiotics. Vet said it might be kennel cough but just keep an eye on him because it could turn into pneumonia. He's been trying to cough up phlegm too so I'm glad we went to the vet. I took him in the bathroom with me while I showered so the steam wound help loosen that up.

When we got the dog we called the vet to make, what I thought would be a well visit for getting a new puppy, but they just made the appointment for next month when he's due for his next shots. Im glad I didn't wait till then!
I've been through kennel cough with many of my dogs! Even with bordatella shots. Some tips on how to make it bearable: honey helps soothe their throat from the coughing, chicken broth also helps. They tend to cough more when they exercise and at night (all night long).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honey is a good idea. I'm wiping his nose as often as a toddler. I've never had any dog with this before. I feel bad for him, he doesn't know any different at this point in his life.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Poor baby. I'm glad you were able to get to the vet and start the antibiotics.

You may have touched on why he's so mellow. He may have a very different energy level once the mucus clears.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts