Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to Colorado.. And just made out first trip to our new vets (they were SO impressed with how beautiful the boys pearly white teeth were.. Thank you raw;). Also heart worm came up. She recommended heart guard. Which from what I have read is one of the safest options when it comes to meds. I just want to know my other options. What is the most natural heart worm preventative. I don't like over vaccinating or giving in necessary medicine. Yet I am fully aware that heart worm is a serious matter. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks so much everyone. Hope you are all enjoying the beginning of summer!! :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
What elevation are you at? I believe Mosquitos aren't present above 7,000 feet?? I would def check into it to see exactly what the risk factors in the area/elevation are. I think the weather between the 5,000-7,000 feet area is what my dad (vet) said are most present with bugs and mosquitoes - IE ideal conditions. My cousins moved to Colorado not too long ago. They LOVE it. It's sooo beautiful!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Im all about holistic and I agree with Lynn you need to access the risk in your area. With that being said I still give HW preventative. I live in a high risk area and I just cant bring myself to go all natural as far as HW preventative. I do usually give it every 45 days instead of every 30 but with the heavy rains we had in May and the outright infestation of mosquitoes the size of bats(just kidding) I went back to every 30 days for the warm months.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What elevation are you at? I believe Mosquitos aren't present above 7,000 feet?? I would def check into it to see exactly what the risk factors in the area/elevation are. I think the weather between the 5,000-7,000 feet area is what my dad (vet) said are most present with bugs and mosquitoes - IE ideal conditions. My cousins moved to Colorado not too long ago. They LOVE it. It's sooo beautiful!
We are in Boulder - so at about 5,400 ft. I wouldn't be too concerned except we are all the time with them.. Hiking, camping, trails. Also now that it is getting warmer we are doing it all in the later hours which is typically big time. IT really is so beautiful here.. We are very happy with the move :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
We live in a high risk area. Wonderful TX. We use heart guard plus with our boy. Our family has always used heart guard growing up. I believe they have a guarantee that if your dog contract heart worm while being on heart guard then they will pay for the heart worm treatment. Not sure how it all works as far as proving that you have given it every month though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts