Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the talk about fleas and mosquitos I thought I would share some of the things that have been passed on to me to use for repelling critters...At this time of year, we like to be outside with our babies, but when you have to deal with fleas, mosquitos and whatnot, it gets difficult...Here are some websites that have some excellent information about some natural ways to repel them pesky bugs  :)

http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

For your yard try this
http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-E ... FQodCSVl7A

I have pots of rosemary on my deck and I just found out that catnip works even better for repelling mosquitos, so I have to pick some of that up also..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
samsonsmom---I actually spray Lilly with a Catnip Oil combo.  Catnip Oil is 10x's stronger and more effetcive than DEET.

Just thought I'd share.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was looking at the dirtworks site and what item is it you can put in your yard to rid the fleas. Hmmm I wounder if it would work in our basement, we tend to get fleas in there in the summer and they are so hard to get rid of since it is a concrete floor.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmmm, mint as a fly repellent. I'll have to give that a try. I don't know why, but the flies are terrible down here this year!  :?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="lillyzmomma\";p=\"13286":3h2ho2xo]samsonsmom---I actually spray Lilly with a Catnip Oil combo.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
MIZORIE--It's not a closely gaurded secret...I just wanted to get as much info and talk to a couple other friends, who are herbalists, to get as many SAFE remedies as possible...

OK GUYS...I know it took forever for me to do this, but I had to find my recipes and I even put out a few phone calls to get this list up for you:

KEEP IN MIND THAT SOME OF THESE WILL WORK FOR YOU AND YOUR PETS AND SOME WON'T...EXPERIMENT AND SEE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...DO NOT GET THESE OILS IN YOUR MOUTH OR EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vanilla Extract:
A few different recommendations for this one, each contradicting the other. Some say to dab Vanilla Extract on your pulse points, others say to rub it all over your skin & dab your clothes. Some say the cheap stuff is what you have to use, others say the real, pure Vanilla is the only thing that will work. Some say to apply it full strength, others say you can dilute it with water and spray it on. Play around with Vanilla to see what gives you best results

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Just remembered what they said about Citronella; it may cause irritation to sensitive skin but it was the only adverse sympton they found.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If all else fails & your four legged friend still gets bitten by insects try using Calm Coat to soothe the insect bites. The topical spray also stops the ithcing immediately & is a great solution to soothe flea allergies, hot spots, and all other skin irritations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.