Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Natural Stress Relieving Remedies?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Walt Watson 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the natural stress relieving remedies? There are so many out there for calming dogs and I'm not sure if they would be worth giving a try. Our six month old puppy is still crazy anxiety ridden when we have to crate her. She is only crated when we leave. When we return she is covered in drool and her crate has a layer of drool all over or the towels we leave for her are soaked. We thought that maybe she had been doing better, but it actually seems like this is getting worse. Was thinking of trying some of these types of products but wanted to see if anyone else had tried them first.

#2 ·
Step one is you need to chill. You can't help your dog if your freaked out. :)

I'm not big on "Check Book" solutions for dogs with issues ie write a check and problem problem solved??? I like to stick to basics and I also like to "KISS" as it were.

But and while it really ultimately makes no difference, I'll ask how long is your dog crated???

#3 ·
Chip, thank you for responding. I have read through your crating/kenneling posts :) in fact, when we first brought this girl home I posted on here regarding anxiety and her crate and you had some great advice. Unfortunately I learned that her mother was also extremely anxious and had a hard time being left alone at all.

We are a homeschooling family but do leave the house at least once per day. We tend to go out for about two hours at a time, sometimes up to three and only rarely are we gone for four or more hours. she has a pretty standard metal grate crate that was first in our living room, but then we moved it to our daughter's room since that is where she sleeps. However, at night, she sleeps with my daughter in her bed. You can call me soft, but after a week of having her spend time in her crate while we were home we gave it up. None of us could take it. For a while I did diffuse lavendar oil and play the radio while we were gone, but now I don't. She always gets a treat (KONG or Himalayan chew) and has lots of blankets. She destroyed the pillow I bought her so no more dog beds!

#4 ·
Oh OK ... I remember now. :)

Glad I asked cause that is not at all a lot of crate time. Now I'm gonna guest that she has to be Crated when you leave because she will get into crap ... if your not there???

Generally speaking a dog is either Crated or they are not?? And a well trained well behaved dog should have no issues with being Crated from time to time??? You've kinda sorts missed your window of opportunity to resolve this relatively quickly by "Correcting her in the Crate" for misbehaving.

Now your dealing with an established "pattern of behaviour" ie if I throw a freaking fit .. long enough, then I can get out of here! But water under the dam at this point. But so you know ... from the start the issue should have been addressed similar to this.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/puppies-eggheads-fur-babies/202514-not-so-cute-screaming-cooper.html

Now I was surprised by his chosen method of "correction" they used a "Verbal Marker, NO" to stop the crap! I'd have recommended a "Bonker" a towel bound with rubber and you throw it at the Crate and say "NO!" But they got it solved before I could add that bit, I was impressed! :)

But not to fear, I got a Plan B, instead of fighting a behaviour you don't want?? Create a "Behaviour you do want??" Self extinguishing behaviour, it's a thing. Only thing required is a "Butt Load of Patience!" The main requirement for successful Boxer owners I tend to believe???

Hmm OK Kcooper got it done so quickly, I never had need to post these threads.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/181570-separation-anxiety-shut-up-dog.html

Separation anxiety = Shut Up Dog!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

That would be "stuff" to know but as I say ... I got a Plan B ie back to basics. And another question, does she walk well on leash????

#5 ·
There are several herbs that can help with anxiety/stress. I use a tea made from Passionflower(Passiflora incarnata) and Catnip(Nepeta cataria) for my girl Kippah. I tried a few other options such a Melatonin that didn't work for her but every dog is different so it's worth checking into all options

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.