Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's friend gave me this catalog (didn't know if I could write the name) after hearing about all the problems we're having with Lola and her scratching.  It's a catalog of natural supplements for horses, dogs and people.  They have this one supplement called Fresh Factors - for dogs of all ages.  
Product Highlights:
Promotes strong joints and bones.*
Helps dry up and heal hot spots and prevent new ones.*
Restores bloom in older dogs.
Promotes healthy joints in growing dogs.*
Helps give all dogs a luxurious coat and itch-free skin.
Enhances digestion/reduces stool size.
Promotes a playful, upbeat attitude. - Not that boxers need that! lol!
Provides raw food factors necessary for a dog's optimal health.
Contains equivalent of 10,000 mg of cartilage (50 to 1 concentrate) per tablet.
Easy to feed chewables - highly palatable.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.  This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, yeast culture, chondroitin sulfate (min. 90% purity), bee pollen, beef or pork liver, stearic acid, kelp, and biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis: Yeast Culture 350 mg/tablet - Chondroitin Sulfate 250 mg/tablet - Beel Pollen 215 mg/tablet - Beef or Pork Liver 215 mg/tablet - Kelp 90 mg/tablet - Biotin 700 mg/tablet.

The testimonials are wonderful.  I'd love to try this with Lola, but wanted the opinions of you guys that are more knowledgeable about the breed and thier health and natural supplements first.

Sorry so long!  What do you think?
Thanks is advance!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I had some suggestions but I am still learning about what to give and not give dogs.  Have you tried the salmon oil from timberwolf?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ok, my honest opinion.......I'd play with her diet.    She is on canidae right?  Switch to a fish based kibble with no grains.   I know the kibble can be a bit highter, but its worth a try.  Also that Purina ProPlan Senstitive Stomach Salmon kibble maybe a good alternative.  I would switch her protein from chix to something.  Give it some time, see if anything helps.  If not, then maybe its grain or  the brown rice, then try some grainless.   The best thing IMO since she has so many alergies is raw, but that is an extreme measure.

On the supplement - try it.   If it helps then go for it.   Does not hurt to try, however be prepared to feed in on a regular basis if you are going to keep the same diet.  What I mean by that is if it works, you are going to need to use it all the time right?   So that overtime can be come expensive (IMO), but if you are at whits end, then give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm really skeptical of supplements, whether for humans or pets, so take it for what it's worth.  But I find it very hard to believe this one supplement does all the things it says it does.  Chondroitin certainly can aid in joints and muscles with humans and pets so I can buy that part.  But at the same time helps dry skin AND "promotes upbeat attitude?"   Those things aren't even related.  What exactly in those ingredients promotes a better attitude?  That's such a vague claim.  Good healthy food could promote a better attitude.  So could a new toy.  I really don't know enough about dry skin ailments or the rest of the ingredients to say whether it will help your problem or not, but I'm sure you can do some research and find out.  Just off the bat, I would expect to see fatty acids and/or oils in any cure for skin problems.  Just doing a quick search online, there are at least documented studies backing up specifically fish oils for skin issues.  I'm with Hanna....just try some different foods, especially fish based ones.  A lot of these foods have "supplements" in them because there is evidence they work, but they don't need to brag about the magical wonders they will cause on the package.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I also further want to add some supplements I do use, natural ones but not for a specific alergy.  The ones that say the cure the world (cancer too??) I feel have too much marketing.   My entire theory is adjust the diet, its the root of everything.   Research it, understand it, then you can tweek it, and find your issue.  

PM me if you need anything, only right down the road!!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would go with a grainless, fish based food and supplement with Vit E or Salmon Oil.  This supplement sounds to good to be true and you know what they say, "If it seems to good to be tru, It probably is!!!"

BTW---Her ears, IMHO, looklike they have some kind of heat rash orsomething of that nature.  It can be very lacalized in dogs...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Merrick is good however you need to look at the ingredients of the Caniade.  I would go about 80% opposite with the protein source.   Preferable a grainless kibble, fish based but if you can get away from Chix, that could be a start.  

I would compare ingred. and switch to something that has different stuff than canidae.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts