Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so firstly - hello again to you all! I'm sure some of you are aware by now that Toby is a handful when it comes to health problems popping up out of the blue.

Well, we're back again.. with a new concern. He's been to the vet, been tested for mange, which came back negative. He has this problem every year when it gets hot outside, but this time it's wayyyy worse. We've determined it's a seasonal allergy. He's been put on prednisone as well as doggy benadryll; neither seem to be helping him. He gets washed daily with a wash called Pyoben as well as a cortisone based ointment; seems to help immediately after use but only relieves itching for about an hour or two. I have not been putting a collar on him, because obviously that is just going to make it worse. So without a collar on him, I've ruled out that it has anything to do with his collar--other than the possibility that wearing a collar agitates it more.

His diet has not been changed, I do not believe it's a food allergy. It's just on his neck--and it looks horrible. It honestly looks like he's not taken care of, but obviously that isn't the case. I feel so horrible for him ): I don't know what else to do, I mean, we're doing everything we were told to do by vets, and they're at a hang point. I'm going to see if he'll let me take a picture of it so you all can see it, and hopefully give me some suggestions on what to try. I've also tried putting an ice pack on it, but that doesn't seem to have any effect, bad nor good.

Thanks for the help from both Toby and I.

/edit, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/DsLaserLime/2012-04-29_00-14-23_931.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a hot spot to me

Dog Hot Spots Treatments, Symptoms, Causes

He may need antibiotics.

Hope Toby's neck heals up fast. Poor guy - give him some smooches from me

:)

Thanks Gypsie! I'll see about some antibiotics :) Do you know if there is any kind of shampoo I should be using for this?

Toby likes it when I get on this forum, he ends up with extra - extra smooches and hugs haha.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Aw, poor Toby. I don't know what it is myself....It sure looks miserable. I wonder if white boxers have more problems with their skin???? You said it was hot where you live? I wonder if it can be a heat rash of some sort? I hope he gets better soon. He probably has very sensitive skin. I am wondering if you could use medicated baby powder on it. You know, treat it like a baby's diaper rash/heat rash. I would ask my vet first, however. It is just a suggestion....

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I googled the Pyoben you are using and that's what it's for.
Our neighbors lab had that on his neck last summer. They had to have his neck shaved, use something similar to what you already have, but they needed antibiotics on top of all that. I think it did take 2-3 weeks to clear up though.

http://www.medi-vet.com/Pyoben.aspx

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw, poor Toby. I don't know what it is myself....It sure looks miserable. I wonder if white boxers have more problems with their skin???? You said it was hot where you live? I wonder if it can be a heat rash of some sort? I hope he gets better soon. He probably has very sensitive skin. I am wondering if you could use medicated baby powder on it. You know, treat it like a baby's diaper rash/heat rash. I would ask my vet first, however. It is just a suggestion....
Members of my family have had boxers for years upon years; and any of the ones that are fully white seem to be more prone for skin issues, I'd think their skin is much more sensitive. Yeah, it's been high 80s recently and that is when it started, and since it happens yearly, at the time when it starts getting hot- a heat rash may be a valid explanation. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what they think about that and see if they can offer any explanation on a treatment. I once heard from someone that using goldbond foot powder on dogs with heat rashes works wonders. Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Gypsie okay! Thanks dear. You always seem to come to the rescue of Toby and I, lol. He'd give you huggles if possible!

@Bella Yeah, I know! It breaks my heart. ):

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you are interested in alternative therapies Licorice Root is very useful for dogs with skin problems/allergies. Licorice Root works like a natural steroid, it contains glycyrrhizin which stimulates the corticosteroids within the dogs body. It comes in capsule form and in drops. You can find it at health food stores or online, and you can use it topically or orally. Topically for irritated areas is best because it can give almost instant relief from itching. Not only does it help with itching but it has anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties and it stimulates the immune system. Its also not that expensive at all. Also it can be used along with traditional corticosteroids and being that it has a strengthening effect on the corticosteroids, it allows a lower dosage of the steroids while still keeping the therapeutic effect :) So less harsh side effects. Basically pretty good stuff!

There is one precaution. If a dog has diabetes you should be careful because Licorice root can raise the blood sugar, other then that its natural and safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! You are all amazingly helpful! :)

I'm going to check into the licorice root (I was reading about it and it looks pretty promising) as well as the other suggestions. <3

One last question; tea tree oil and aloe vera, I was told that this mixture along with some water would help promote his healing process. Anyone ever heard of, or used, this method?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Tea Tree oil is fine for humans for toxic to dogs and cats.

ETA I know you can use it DILUTED with water for a fleas as a spray. But personally I would be very cautious with it

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If I were to use anything as a soothing salve I would use extra virgin organic coconut oil. But thats just my own opinion :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You can buy shampoo etc that has tea tree oil and aloe in it, perhaps thats what that person was talking about. But I would be cautious mixing it myself and you're welcome :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts