Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I rescued a boxer mix when he was about 5 months old... house breaking him was a nightmare however crate training wasnt so bad... we moved when he was about a year old and me and my husband kept the same routing and placed his crate still in our room where it was at the old house. Well he then started hurting himself trying to get out of his crate, we would come home to the crate being bent, his nails bleeding from scratching and i couldnt stand to watch my baby hurt himself... so i quit crating him and let him roam the house. He would have his good days and bad days of chewing anything he could get his mouth on. He was good for about 2 months of not getting into anything while we were gone, however he is back to being my little monster. We were gone for 8 hours yesterday and he literally destroyed the couch. I am not sure what to do as he has plently of toys and as well I have 2 other dogs that are not crated either. however they are both 7 years old. Any thoughts or suggestions? Me and my husband both work second shift for the most part so doggie daycare is kinda hard as we are not able to pick them up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you tried a baby gate or dog gate to confine him to the kitchen maybe or somewhere he could not get into anything but still see the other dogs? Or maybe put all the dogs and their beds in the same room with him if they get along ok. The crate thing probably got off the rails when you moved and he was stressed about the new house and I am sure your routine changed some as well with the move he probably needs some more time to adjust. My dogs would never crate and did resort to hurting themselves so I did employ baby gates they would stay back from them because they hated the rattling sound they make when they are moved so that worked for me.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Yes to baby gates. Perhaps there is a room he couldn't destroy of a long hallway. Put his toys and maybe a frozen stuffedkong in there to amuse him. Being gone 8 hours is a long time and I'm sure he got bored. Is there anyone that could perhaps take him out mid day or say after your gone about 4 hours. That would probably help too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hmm, well these days, my first question would be, were you guys still working, since you moved or due to the "Lock Down," you were at home with him pretty much 24/7 and now you are not??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts