Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male neutered 16 month sealed boxer. He was very bonded with my daughter who is 28 when we brought him home as a puppy at 7 weeks. He is very loving but scared of everything has had a few stomach issues but recently when my daughter comes home from work he constantly jumps on her bites her she cant even sit on the couch anymore without him jumping and biting her anywhere he can even her ears and head. Funny thing is he is home with me all day and never does this to me or to my husband.
She is very frusterated at night she has to go upstairs and within five minutes when he is with me he lies down around 930 at night and hes out for the night.
Its bizarre to me. He goes in the car with me and really other than pouncing on my couch at times and digging holes in my backyard and destroying all of my plants hes a big goof. He weighs 72 lbs.
One thing I know she did wrong was she didnt want him to go in a cage and slept on the floor with him for 2 months. Does he only view her as a litter mate and he is asserting his dominance with her. She only weighs 105 lbs so he can be quite overpowering.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
He is asking for your Daughters attention the only way he knows how. Did she roughhouse and play with him as a pup? He really still has some puppy qualities even though he is 16 months old. How much outdoor socialization does he get? How often is he walked? If he is indoor or in the yard he really isn't exposed to "the great wide world" so when new things approach him he doesn't know what to do. Right now he is viewing you as the alpha in the house that's why he doesn't jump on you and bite you and she is his equal. This needs changing he needs to maybe go to classes with your Daughter as his handler she needs to be the one who takes charge of him this doesn't mean he doesn't love her or bonded with her it means she has not establisher herself as his leader. Maybe some classes with a dog trainer. Sensitive stomachs are pretty common in Boxers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response and advice. I thought the same thing that he views her as one of his pack and that he is asserting his dominance. I must admit I dont take him for as many walks as he needs but everytime I take him he owerpowers me with his fear and tries to drag me back home and I'm not a large lady. I do play ball with him in the backyard as much as I can. I do take him with me everywhere I go in the van and he loves it. I take him to the pet stores and he has been good with staff and meeting other dogs. I will suggest that she do some classes. When he first came to us we had a trainer come in and he terrorized him and after three hours I had to ask him to leave. His technique was not positive at all. She focused on training him doing tricks and I said she didnt focus enough on behavior such as no and come. He is stubborn to come out of the backyard sometimes but if I get out the broom to sweep the kitchen floor hes happy to fly in the door.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You were right to get rid of a trainer that focused on "tricks" what you need is dog willing to behave himself and follow directions! Some of this stuff with him will clear up with age and that trainer was also wrong with using intimidation as a training method on a dog with anxiety issues not a good thing. Not all dogs are going to be super stars in the training department but you can get most of how you want him to behave done with the right help positive reinforcement rewarding good behavior and reassuring him when he is frightened of something telling him good boy when he confronts his fears without a negative reaction. Please don't give up on him I am sure with the right help most of this will resolve.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Perhaps you have an AKC Canine Good Citizen trainer locally. I’d highly recommend from my experience. Probably no group training available these crazy times, but the Trainer may be available. Possibly train him to walk better with you as well.

edit to add: in past when mine get too rambunctious I resort to mandatory “sit”, this is before feeding, treats, even petting. They learn to calm down to get what they want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a male neutered 16 month sealed boxer. He was very bonded with my daughter who is 28 when we brought him home as a puppy at 7 weeks. He is very loving but scared of everything has had a few stomach issues but recently when my daughter comes home from work he constantly jumps on her bites her she cant even sit on the couch anymore without him jumping and biting her anywhere he can even her ears and head. Funny thing is he is home with me all day and never does this to me or to my husband.
She is very frusterated at night she has to go upstairs and within five minutes when he is with me he lies down around 930 at night and hes out for the night.
Its bizarre to me. He goes in the car with me and really other than pouncing on my couch at times and digging holes in my backyard and destroying all of my plants hes a big goof. He weighs 72 lbs.
One thing I know she did wrong was she didnt want him to go in a cage and slept on the floor with him for 2 months. Does he only view her as a litter mate and he is asserting his dominance with her. She only weighs 105 lbs so he can be quite overpowering.
It's very late to start crate training - that should have started day 1. However, you should give it a try. Our puppies leave at 8 weeks and are already well on their way to being crate trained. Ouradult boxers have always been crated when we are away or asleep, and now that I'm home myself during the day, and require a walker, they are crated daytime as well, with a "potty run" @ noon. In all cases, they eagerly go back into their crates for a liver treat (INDISPENSIBLE training aid!) We have three boxers in residence, one of whom has been bred to whelp late December. I could never handle this pack without them being crate-trained.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a similar situation with my 18 month old. He is CRAZY and treats me like yours treats your daughter. I have started training him using Susan Garrett's techniques in "Homeschool the Dog" and it seems to be helping! Just google it. She's doing a special for Black Friday, you can look at all of her training modules and see what it has to offer. She believes in training with games. There are rare verbal ques. It's mostly about behavior training. I love it! It's so easy!

Reactions: Lindar51

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I also like Susan Garrett's training. I was a little late in the game but many of her games have helped me. Can't hurt to take a look. I use many techniques that I've learned from various trainers.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
72 lbs is way to big nfor this level of "no control, and well just plain crazy???" And it sounds like your daughter has very little to do with any training of the dog whatsoever??

He pretty much treats her like company, and unless "YOU," put a clamp on this crap behavior ... it will only get worst! Now that is the bad news, but you know sigh, it is pretty much par for the course with Boxer's! But hey he's not trying to actually hurt her so that's the goods new's!

But yeah it's kinda why I am reluctant to recommend Boxer's to folk's but that's OK cuz a WL GSD ... I flat won't recommend to any one I know! And with two GSD's moving into White house, next year ... crap's goona get back bad for GSD Rescue's!! But I digress ...

So first question is do you "Walk This Dog, for a start??" Exercise is important also but you have to "Walk Also!" A long structured walk on a loose leash. It's not a tug o war , session he need's to be under control!

And aside from that sigh my recommendation is same old same old! You (most likely) need to train him "Place!" Once trained, the "Place Command," will put a stop to all the "Bat Crap Crazy!"

My new girl Boxer/Pitt sigh is almost as Bat Crap crazy and I sigh got lazy and have not trained in "Place," as the detail's I outline in the thread I will link!

I took advise from a member on Germanshepardfroum that used an "Ottoman," for a "Place
Matt," for goodness sake!!! But you know what ...whatever! I used the sofa for Bella and it worked out fine! When I come in the door from work ... I give her a minuet or two and if she won't get a grip?? I say "Place," and point to te sofa and that nis an end to the crap!! She stay's there till I relese her and after about 20 minuet's of doing "Nothing," I release her and she's not acting like an AH! :)

The Details for "Place are here," and as always ask questions. :)

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I also like Susan Garrett's training. I was a little late in the game but many of her games have helped me. Can't hurt to take a look. I use many techniques that I've learned from various trainers.
`I have no issue with Susan Garrett but you don't need to read wold book for this kinda crazy ... in my view. :)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I don't get why your trying to say Chip. Reading different methods and seeing which will work for you to me is good. Many of the methods on here, we read and try. Maybe I'm missing what your saying.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I don't get why your trying to say Chip. Reading different methods and seeing which will work for you to me is good. Many of the methods on here, we read and try. Maybe I'm missing what your saying.
LOL, well of course, no one method of "training something," works well for everyone?? There are lot's of "way's to skin a cat," as they say. But something's are basic?? And the OP has already fell, into the first "rat-hole," Newbie's stumble across when they find themselves with a dog with issue's?? Well I don't know what is going on?? So "I'll find a trainer to help me "Fix My Dog??"

And I would submit .... that, that is a "Trap!" Cuz you know if one has never had to "Find a Trainer before??" They all look pretty much the same?? So but of course the first "Gentle Paw's Positive Only Trainer, Look's pretty good??

Now "if," one has a "regular," normal badly behaved dog?? That "could," work out OK?? But you add in "Fearful, Rambunctious and Can't Walk Well On Leash?? And I'll say "Good Luck with that!" I can guarantee, as the OP has already stated that is gonna be "Cash Down," a rat hole! As the OP has already stated. :)

And sure if you read enough book's and they happen to be the right one's?? One can "figure it out??" But how much time does that take and what do you do while your trying to figure it out?? I've been there and done that. And I got the stitches, while figuring out with my first human aggressive, pack fighting, WL GSD. And that is kinda what it could for me cuz ... I trusted No One! Now it might not me smart?? But hey it's how we rolled. And it worked out fine And I'll add PO only as it happened. And with Rocky ... I could not even use a "Prong Collar On," cuz A-Hole that he was, he was also a "Wobbler Dog," so pretty much zero pressure on his neck! Hence my threat on the Slip Lead Leash, but admititly a bit hard to master. :)

Nothing wrong with Book's and I would also add Nicole Wilde, to cuz I used her work, to as it happened??

But the OP does not "need," to read book's for this?? The majority of there answer's are in the thread I linked. Train the "Place Command," and Do "Sit On the Dog." You train the deal to "Deal With it" and learn to cope and how to do "Nothing Dog!"

It's "Bad 101," and any serious trainer that can actually help owner;s with dog's with "Serious Freaking Issue's," all Train the "Place Command!" If they don't?? Don't waste your cash! As they can't help you! And if you find a trainer that actually knows what "Sit on The Dog is??" Yeah go there! Not that many do??

So back on point, the thread I posted can/will help the OP. It's all there and yeah it's kinda messy ... cuz I was kind of tool back in the Day .... my bad. :(

But hey that was then this in now. The Fearfulness and the rambunctious, Place and Sit on the Dog, will take care of! Now if she can't walk the dog?? That is an "issue!" Cuz you "have to walk the dog!

Sigh, I have a SLL thread but I give up. Just "Find a Trainer," to teach you how to use a "Prong Collar!" And that should only take one session! And most likely a "Trainer," that say's "GSD's" a specialty, is a best bet! LOL, no shortage of those guy's "every where!" It should only take one session?? :)

But I am not saying one can't learn "more," from other's?? But as it happens the solution's for the OP are all in one place, on here. Been there done that ... worked out fine! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
To help you i have had my boy 9 years he is very territorial and will bark. It's there stubborness seems that its playful bites since he is still young having your daughter work with a trainer and it will be fine. They're really full of personality and hope you enjoy yours as much as i do my old stubborn boy best of luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts