Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I hope someone else has been in this situation and can give us some needed guidance regarding getting a puppy when we have a 12 year old boxer. Our boxer is very loving and all 5 of our family members love him tremendously. He has health issues. He has arthritis in his left back knee. He offloads and skips when he walks. He walks about 3 miles a day. We don’t want to hurt his feelings by getting a puppy but we also heard it might prolong his life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thats a really big age difference to deal with. How does he react to other dogs is he friendly with them or standoffish? If he welcomes other dogs it may be ok, but you are really going to have to watch the puppy if your dog guards his toys or food this could go bad. Even if none of that is a factor the puppy will have to be separated from the older dog if the activity is too much being he has arthritis he may be sore not feel like playing all the time. I have always had two Boxers male/female ratio not the same sex the first attempt I had a 10 year old female got a male puppy she only tolerated him they were never friends so that didn’t go well. The next two I had I my female was 5 and I got a male pup they were great together loved each other very much now the current two I have my female was one when I got the male they are besties. So proceed with caution here. Puppies are high energy for the first two years it may be best to let your old boy live out his days in peace and comfort since he’s always been an only dog. And that’s my 2cents worth!

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
It seems many times I end up with a puppy, lol. A 12 year old boxer is great but they are coming near the end of their lifespan, unfortunately. So a puppy would be nice and it may learn from him. Likely you will most times need to separate them as puppies can be annoying to older dogs. It usually works for me as I crate train pups and they do not get a whole lot of house freedom until they reach about a year old and have manners, (no longer eat my house and are housebroken). My last boxer was 1 1/2 before he earned his whole house freedom without a lot of supervision. For me given a choice where I really think about it, I would probably wait and just continue to enjoy my old fellow. Puppies are so much work and you will find your devoting more time to the pup than just enjoying what you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts