Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my office pretty much just split into two, the top 4 guys (Pres, VP, VP Eng. and Operations Mgr) all just 'resigned' and started their own company. I'm just an admin, but our office was only 15 people (now 11). I'm at kind of little delima...I was talking to my mom and she was telling me to talk to one of the guys that left and ask them if they could use some support staff at their new company. I'm torn because the new company is about 20 miles from my house, the current company is 30 miles away, I'm trying to decide if 10 miles is worth possibly losing a $4k+ bonus come April and making the rest of my current co-workers very upset. There are a lot of unknowns and I have NO idea if they would even hire me...but the idea of working a little closer to home and working in a better part of town are very entycing.

Maybe it's something I should decide myself, but I can't blog about it anywhere else b/c my current co-workers would see and I don't really want that.

So thank you for reading. :)

T

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I would talk to them and see what the difference in salary and such would be. if the salary is the same, or higher i say go for it. I feel your pain, for i to work 30+ miles from home. Getting to and from works takes 2.5 hours round trip. i HATE it, but the money is good. I am trying to find something closer to home making the same but not having too much luck. Good luck with your decision. i am sure it is a tough one.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Well I would think the first thing to do is talk to them and see if they even need you... if they are interested in that... talk to them about pay and the bonus... and about how you feel... being honest is a good thing 98% of the time! If you ask and then they say they don't need you... lol not like that of course... but if that's the case then you'd have been worrying and upset over nothing!

Trust me... I've done it before... when it came to applying for a job... freaking out about all the "unsurities" FOREVER... then I finally applied... and guess what!??? NEVER GOT CALLED!! LOL I felt stupid... but it was probably the part where I stated that I'd need more than 1 month off within the next 6 months of work... you know since I'm prego!

·
Registered
905 Posts
There's absolutely no harm in just enquiring with them - your co-workers need never know and if nothing comes of it then you haven't lost anything anyway.

I have to commute over 50 miles each way to work (I spend 15+ hours a week in my car, how's that for quality of life?) but I'd be looking at easily a

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.Plus being closer to work will save a lot of extra wear and tear on you and your vehicle, so sometimes a cut in pay isn't always a bad thing....Having worked  for most of my adult life in the greater L.A. area, commuting is a way of life, no way to get around it...I lived 20 miles from work and it took me well over an hour, on a good day to get to and from work...Leave the house at 6 and not get home til 6, that truly sucked, but you do what you have to....Good luck and let us know what you find out......

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses. The top four should be in our office today to tie up some loose ends and get their personal effects. I'll probably give them a call next week to see if I could be of assistance to them...your right, it can't hurt.

Right now my commute is 30 min. one way with NO traffic or about 40 on the way to work and 45 on the way home. I figure right now I put 1200 miles on my car per month...JUST going to and from work.  :?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Good luck in whatever you decide.  I agree with everyone above.  Nothing ventured nothing gained!  This could be a great opportunity for you and if you don't try - you'll never know.  Best of luck today!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I would agree with what everyone else said. Just check and see if for starters your needed, then you can weigh the pros and cons about salary, bonus, what the job responsibilities would be and commute. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I also agree that it never hurts to check it out.  There is nothing worse then not liking your job and nothing better then loving it when you have to do it everyday.  I would say to check them out and see if they need anyone and go from there.  Also, consider what you may lose.  Like if you have insurance, going with a new place sometimes means losing and having to wait for all that again, building back up on vacation time.  Also, keep in mind the people who left are starting a "new company" how long has the one you have been working for been in business?  Not all "new companies" make it....

Consider all the options...and remember sometimes the grass is not more green elsewhere....it was just the way the sun was shinning that day.....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sharon you make some Very valid points that I was missing...like insurance and such. I love my job as of right now, I just worry that the new 'management' will change the way we are here. Our office is so lax, it's the best office job ever...but part of that was b/c of the top two guys that left. Stupid life decision. lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I would put on paper the pros and cons.  Consider A new company, and will it suceed, and if the old company is good to work for you may be able to move up in that company if you stay. New Companys take at least 5 years to establish, that is something to consider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts