Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two boxer puppies 13 days difference in age. I had to take the male who is the youngest yesterday with what I suspected was and it turned out to be the red mange. I left the female at home while I took him to the vet. They haven

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Oh my! i hope she is going to be ok. I personally have not had to experience this, but i dont believe it would be heartworms. i think she is a little young for that but i guess anything is possible. I know we have a few memebers here who have boxer that have had seizures, hopefully one of them can give you better advice. please let us know what happens, if this happens again tonight though i would consider going to an e-vet!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Oh how scary this must be for you. I am sorry, I don't have any experience with this either but I hope you find some answers and that your baby gets better fast. Keep us updated on how it goes at the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I hope you pup is okay.  Did you ever find out what caused the problem?

The exact same thing happened to my male boxer (Harley) tonight!  We have two boxers and they get very excited when they know they are going for a walk.  They were jumping and all of the sudden Harley went down.  He seemed to be paralyzed and barely breathing and then it appeard he was dead.  I gave him several chest compressions and he came to.  Within 10 minutes he was up wagging his tail - like nothing ever happened.  My wife and I took Harley to the Animal ER and he is being monitored tonight.   We are both sick waiting to find out if our "boy" is going to be okay.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It really doesn't sound like seizures to me. Most grand mal seizures happen while they are sleeping or at rest. It sounds to me like a heart condition. I don't mean to scare you, I am by no means a vet, but my previous boxer was diagnosed with boxer cardiomyopathy and he had a couple of fainting spells like the ones you are decribing. After he was diagnosed, he was put on meds and he never did have any more fainting spells again. I think a thorough vet check is warranted. Maybe even by a cardiologist, so that they can run the proper tests on her and find out what is going on if anything. I hope it is nothing serious, let us know how it goes at the vet.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sure hope it is not serious, please let us know as soon as you can.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i am sorry to hear about what happened. i hope everything turns out ok! please keep us updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My female Onyx had this happen since we got her at 12 weeks old (she's now 9 months). We were told by the breeder (and by 2 different vets) that the reasoning behind it was an elongated soft pallett. Onyx also has narrow nostrils, so that didnt help at all. The vets and breeder told us that when she got to worked up or excited and started breathing heavier, she wasnt getting enough oxygen to her brain, and as a result, would faint like a person would. I would mention it to your vet but for a proper diagnosis they would have to knock her out. If this is the case, its a very simple procedure and can be done when fixed (most vets wont do it prior to 5 months old). Onyx was done at 7 months and hasnt had a spell since, although she does still snore! Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts