Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I feel like I have read up on all of the recommendations to find a good breeder, so I know the health testing to look for and to visit the parents if you can. Finding health tested boxers seems to be going well but visiting is going to be hard because a lot of the breeders are very far from me.

I am getting a bit perplexed about the American and European dogs, mainly when it comes to temperment. I have been told different things by different breeders. One said there is a 50/50 chance your female (I want a female, I have a male in the house) will be aggressive with other dogs. One said it depends on how you breed and the lines you choose, especially with the Euro dogs and she breeds for less protective dogs. My preference is actually an American dog because I like them on the smaller side. But the health aspect keeps pushing me back to the Euro dogs. I just want a silly, friendly, smaller, health tested baby girl.

What do you guys think? Is it 50/50 that they will be aggressive no matter how you bring them up? I have had three boxers. One from a breeder, aggressive with other dogs. Two from rescues who were adults when I got them and were friendly with other dogs.

Would love some help here. I haven't looked for a puppy in a very long time! Side note - if you know a reputable breeder based on what I described, please message me (I think that is allowed, I hope so).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
If a dog breeder told me that a pup from their breeding program only had a 50/50 chance of not being dog aggressive, I would find a different breeder.

Reactions: Joeponds

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have had three female Boxers now, the first two were American bred dogs and both were dog friendly with only certain dogs not generally friendly with all they met along the way. I have right now a half Euro female and she LOVES everyone! She is a very confident dog as well very outgoing not fearful. But if she feels like I am being threatened she gets very protective over me, one time someone yelled at me and she started growling surprised me for sure! I think the breeder would know how their dogs tend to react to others so if that's not what you are looking for I would keep looking. It took me awhile to find my dogs I have a male from the same breeder he is mostly Euro and very friendly.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I also have spoken to aq breeder who told me that her full Euro dogs had a tendency to not like other dogs in tn their space as they matured, (not a problem with other dogs in house but if you were out walking in public and approached by a strange dog). I just wanted a dog I could walk with and not one that would have a tendency to be reactive to others. I have trained most of my own dogs from GSD to Rottweilers without problem but I don't feel I have that energy or time anymore, lol. You will find the right breeder given time for exactly what you want and most reputable breeders are very good with picking the right pup for you as long as you are honest in your expectations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I am moving on from the breeder who said 50/50. I will be patient and keep doing my research. It is emotionally hard to not have a dog after losing my girl, but I am trying not to rush.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Personally a dog's ... innate behavior towards other dog's, mean's zero to me?? I trust "No One," ... I don't know you, I don't know your dog?? You keep your distance ... I'll keep mine is how "We roll."

Now there are always gonna be "exception's??" But any "Boxer," compared to well an American Band Dog, or an out of control pack fighting Wl GSD?? Is a piece of cake??

I except m y dog's to be civil around other dog's and "we" worked on it. My Band Dawg became my best puppy raiser and my WL GSD became the kinda Dog that Pro's use to rehab aggressive dog's! But no dog I did not know got near them! My dog's were civil and I was the "Gate Keeper!"

Now that much said ... I luv the AL girl's also. Ton's of giggle's but they do have a (dark side, another story.) But my girl who never interacted freely with unknown dog's, did just fine when I was forced to rescue three stray's and bring them indoor's to keep them safe! Everyone had a great time! :)

But the 50/50's and a girl ... I would not be so quick to write the off as a no go??? Kaco Boxer's is a member and a mod here! And her girl's look pretty cute to me, you can check them out here.:

Ava

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I'm interpreting this a bit differently. A reputable breeder knows the genetic line. They know if their dogs are more naturally laid back or bold. When I was breeding mini schnauzers (way back when) my mentor breeder knew her dogs, we had 1 pup in a litter that acted bold and barks. He was returned to us as the buyer said he was aggressive, he was only 10 weeks old and they had him for 2 weeks. We took him back of course and refunded the client their $$. I thought it sounded crazy as he ws fine with me. She knew that he would need a alpha owner, one who would train him and keep him in his place, not a owner who would treat him as their baby. His great great great grandfather had the same personality and it came out with this one pup.
I'd keep talking to breeders and you will find one who truly knows their line of dogs and will help you with the right match.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@Hiddenspot
What area are you in and how far are you willing to travel?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Ah well. I will say for the most part breeders know there dog's/pup's, but they don't really know you??

If you know and admire the AL Boxer's "because," they are kinda of silly and goofy ... then that is what you should get! The Al Boxers (American Lines) were "created," for America because the "Dog Men," after WW ll, felt that "this," is the right Boxer for American, Consumer's and I will say ... they got it right! :)

A "Working Line Dog," any of them are not a "Beagle??" And you really can't expect them to be good Dog's at Dog Park's or Doggy Care, without ... "blow back," at some point?? Cuz even the best of them ie Balanced Dog's and Dog Friendly, are high maintenance PIA's! A lot of dog's don't like ... being circled at high speed, hopped on and punched in the face!
Sigh Boxer's can be PIA's even the best of them. :)

For "me," how a dog gets, along with other unknown dog's, is not an issue?? If they happen to be "Over the top??" Well yeah, that is an "issue," that I would have to "address." But it would have "Zero," impact on a Dog/Puppy, I would chose?? My standards are fairly high?? I expect my dog's to "ignore," other dog's when out and about. And that seems to be easy enough to achieve.

But different life styles and way's of life. I don't expect to take my dog's over to friend's to interact with there dog's just cuz?? If I go to wedding's and such ... my dog's stay home or get "Kenneled." Could they have dealt with it?? Well yeah ton's of strangers to greet and meet?? My American Band Dawg would have been fine with that and my Struddell (White Boxer) would have been in "Hog Haven!"

But my WL GSD ... uh NO! Stranger's and company at home ... was not really his thing?? I had to adjust my "expectations," of what I could do with him. Worked out fine. :)

But back on point ... if you were a first time Boxer owner and just wanted to get a Boxer?? LOL hands down I would say get a "male!" But not because, of the silly crap you seem to be getting about them being "aggressive," towards other dogs??

Male dog's as a general rule seem to be eager to do what ever it takes to make "You," happy?? Females seem to be more like ... "convince me," why I should care ... what you want to do???" But since you had and want a girl ... you already know that. :)

I luv the girl's myself and I am kinda ticked off that my better half roped me into rescuing a "Female Boxer/Pitt!" A Boxer/Pitt I have no issues with ... but a "Female??" Takes my getting a Female Boxer, off the table!! You don't want to go there ... nother story.

But at any rate, you also said health, is one of your criteria?? Yeah well, bottom line Boxer's don't seem to do that well in that respect ?? A long lived life is not really one of there high point's. :(

Now that said ... I'd forget all the crap your hearing about the females being just being horrible with other dog's?? Cancer and DM (Degenerative Myelopathy) is rampant in Boxer's. :(

I don't know about cancer but DM ... they can test for, so if you want a 100% Al Boxer as about that! And the 50/50 Boxer's? I knot me w one LOL, who is a cool Boxer! Way freaking bigger than my girl was ... and at first, he does. give you the impression that "this is a serious dog!!" IE, who is this guy??" Then he remembers me and it's all good!!

Quite a bit different than my AL Girl, who luv'd "Everybody," and a "Stranger was just a friend she had not met!" :)

The 50/50's would get away from the DM thing. It is more rampant in America than it is in Europe?? But if you do find a AL Breeder close to you be sure and ask about DM testing! Other than that, I tend to think the 50/50's would be OK, for you?? Not as big as a full Euro and not as drivey, I would imagine?? Most likely not as quite as "over top," the top Goofy either?? Sill with my friend's 50/50 big ass male Boxer. Once he remembered me again?? LOL, he was just like playing with my Struddell cept he did pull me off the sofa in a tug o war game!! But I grabbed his flews and stuff just like I would with my Stru. :)

At any rate. I am just saying the female bit, you seem to be hearing, seems to be a bit over the top?? And I would not write off the 50/50's!

But Good Luck, in your hunt for your next Boxer Girl! I got to wrap my mind around "having to get a Male," now .... it seems weird. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank s for the comments. I am moving on from the breeder who said 50/50. I will be patient and keep doing my research. It is emotionally hard to not have a dog after losing my girl, but I am trying not to rush.
I have a rescue he is very territorial and is 11 now h ies great with me and he loves going over my folks for sleepovers. The dog you want will be the one that you bond with thats how I chose mine he as his faults but not any less than myself. Good luck you will fine the one for you most breeders allow you to go and see them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts