Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new foster on Sat and we have been working on potty training and crate training.  Yesterday evening I started to work with her on basic obediance and NOTHING seems to motivate her! I tried carrots, kibble, chicken, hot dogs, dog training treats and squeeky toys. All I want to do is lure her into a sit! Her head starts to go back and that's when she turns her body and forgets about the lure. The only thing she has been able to do is turn her head towards me when I call her name..I click and reward. I think I may be getting frustrated to quickly and I should let her settle in more but all of my other dogs have picked up and the sit within days of being home. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
602 Posts
How recently has she eaten to when you are trying to train? Maybe she is just not hungry.  Does she seem interested in the toys ever? Maybe she did not have toys before and does not know what they are! That is the only things I can think of. I am sure someone will have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
761 Posts
She's probably still so curious about her new environment.  Try the training before her regular meal time when she'd be hungry.  I try and slip 5-10 mins in the morning after a walk and before breakfast but Cassius is SO food motivated it isn't tough to get him to follow a treat anyway.  I bet your right about just needing time to settle in and feel comfortable.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely try it before a meal and see if that makes a difference...It actually took me weeks to get Angel to sit, so I wouldn't worry over that to much..It's still an adjustment time as well..Maybe give it a few more days..And don't forget, observing the other dogs helps too :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts