Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I can use some help on what to feed my boxer. He is 6 years old and I have tried two different dog food and tried putting rice in his food and sweet potato. His stools are not normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
What do his stools look like? When did it happen? and what are you currently feeding him?

A change in stool can indicate so many things. We need more information.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
im no expert but we originally started our first boxer on iams and it was a no go, we finally got him on a grain free food and now both are on it and they are doing wonderful. its a quality food that matters. not to be rude but iams is not a good quality food. you can google food reviews and it will come up with all sorts of information and i am sure there are many threads on this site about food. also raw feeding is an option, we have not gone there bc my fiance is not a fan but he is not informed but we use Earthborn Holistic grain free meadowfeast.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Logan had issues with dog food too. He had very loose stools, mud pie like (gross I know). I tried him on multiple brands of kibble over the span of 3 months or so and they all had the same result. I know now that it takes several months for the "side effects" of kibble to completely clear their system, but at the time I wasn't aware of that. Instead of continuing to try kibble after kibble I ended up switching him over to a raw diet and he's made a complete turn around. That's something that you can consider if you feel comfortable with it.

If you want to stick with kibble you should know that both Iams and Eukanuba aren't great quality dog foods. You may want to do some research on higher quality foods, preferably grain free. It may take some time to find one that agrees with him, but it sounds like he may be dealing with an upset tummy. Does he vomit at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He does not vomit at all. Thank god!! Yeah I have looked into the raw diet which I think I might do but I want to do it once a day with him. So I am trying to find dry food for the other time. So dry food in the morning then raw in the evening.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Moxie had horribly loose stools on any food with grain. Since going grain free her stool is perfect. Boxers tend to not process grain well. They are known for sensitive tummies. If you cannot dedicate 100% to raw I would suggest trying a grain free kibble first.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I personally wouldn't do a combination of raw and kibble. As already mentioned they process at different rates. Kibble takes much longer to digest than raw. With that said, some people do half/half as you mentioned with no problems so I would think this would come down to the dog's individual ability to handle it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Blue wilderness
Taste of the wild
Acana
orijen
Fromm
California natural

Just a couple off the top of my head that are grain free or have a grain free version. On first glance they will be pricier than iams but you feed less. Iams wanted me to give Moxie upwards of 4-5 cups of food per day. Taste of the wild has me feeding her 2.5 cups per day. It generally equals out in the long run and is better for your pup.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Please consider grain free dog foods. The loose stools are a sign of discomfort for your dog. Imagine if you had to eat food that upset your stomach and you had loose stools. You would feel horrible. Your poor dog trying to hold it while you are at at work... your tummy would grumble. Discomfort!!!! I do not know for certain but I would bet it is the grain that is upsetting his stomach. You could try going grain free and see if there is a difference.

Once you go grain free you will never go back to the garbage foods out there. You will see an amazing difference in your dog. I have seen dogs behave better and feel better on a good quality dog food. These below might seem expensive is you are used to Purina or Pedigree but it is only about $2.00 to $4.00 per day. You can find them at Petco or Petsmart and even some grocery stores.

Calfornia Natural Grain Free
Blue Bufallo Wilderness
Taste of the Wild
Merrick Grain Free Dog food
Natural Choice
Natural Select
Paul Newmans Grain Free
Pronature Holistic Grain Free

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I believe this is what's going on with my Kingston. I changed him from the pedigree he was eating when I first got him. I knew that was not a good one but I let the guy at the tractor supply talk me into their puppy brand that he raved about. I went into the store to purchase another bag of TOTW. Kingston has been having inconsistent stools for weeks. I would hate to be uncomfortable like that. I'm going out now to get what I should have gotten to begin with. My Bella is fine with grain but evidently Kingston is not. It does cost more but if its better for him in the end it's worth it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There isn't really one that's best it's about what works for your dog. Although orijen, acana, and fromm.grain free varieties seem to be pretty high quality. I feed taste of the wild high prairie which is also quite good. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's not really a question that anyone on here can answer because you will find that your dog- as is each dog is different. All of the foods listed here are excellent foods but your dog is going to be the determining factor on what food agrees with them. It's extremely frustrating. We have changed foods AT LEAST 6-7 diff times and our puppy is turning a year old on April 6th. We tried grain, no grain, about every kind you can think of. We finally settled on that he canNOT handle any grains of any kind or his hair falls out- in spots- not shedding-- and he has diarrhea. He also cannot handle high protein - over about 26-28%. In fact, I would go as far as 28% is too high--- and he has diarrhea. We were feeding the blue buffalo freedom- grain free - which is 24% protein and 14% fat and he did GREAT on that-and I highly highly recc that food--- but then my mom(who is a vet) and I thought that he maybe having a chicken - protein based allergy because I couldn't get his acne cleared up- or starting to develop it- as blue buffalo is chicken based so we now switched him to Earthborn - grain free Meadowfeast - which is lamb and pee based - no chicken and no starchy potato- and it costs less than the blue buffalo- about $20 a mo less - considering those bags are 28 lbs and the bb was 24 lbs and was still at least 10-$15 more expensive before you even calculate the value of more lbs in the earthborn. I am happy- for now. Some day we may try RAW - it's just not something that is feasible right now.

U will find that you will spend countless hour - days even- researching - reading stuff on this forum- talking to pple at dog food stores - to try to find the best kibble- when there is no magic best kibble- it's all what your dog agrees with best. What I originally wanted to feed our dog was NOT was he wanted. Lol. But I would say- even tho I don't feed it- RAW is arguably the BEST that you can feed your dog. Dogs were not designed to digest grain or even kibble period- they ate raw meat- RAW allows you to control what and how much your dog eats at all times. Good luck I hope u find something that your dog agrees with, is quality grain free - and is not so hard on your pocketbook- I'm sorry there isn't a magic answer

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You can add plain canned pumpkin to his food in the meantime. That will help a great deal. But rethink the food you are feeding him. it isn't known to be very good. Good luck.

Oh and not pumpkin pie filling

·
Registered
185 Posts
if you arnt going 100% raw an i no this sounds bad but grain free authority its cheaper than the rest an look it up its better than most mentioned above also costco brand not sure if they have grain free try to elevate the food dish six to eight inches an mix a spoon or two of plain yougert it will help

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
As already said, each dog does best on a different kibble. Dempsey does best on a grain free kibble whose protein isn't super high (below 30%). Other dogs do better on a high protein kibble. I like kibbles that don't have a whole lot of different ingredients in them. I would change slowly so as not to make the situation worse.

Taste of the Wild (TOTW) Pacific Stream
Acana Pacifica
Wellness Simple Grain Free (Turkey and Potato is rated the highest of these)
Blue Buffalo (BB) Freedom
Earthborn Grain Free

If you change to a grain free, you'll feed less of it (over feeding it will cause loose poo), and you'll see smaller stools.

If your dog has trouble after switching, try a different protein source. Some dogs for example, have trouble with chicken based kibbles.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Which grain free is the best?

Wow, that is a tough question. Each Boxer dog is different. Here is a link that talks about each brand and maybe this can help guide you on finding the best food for your dog.

Best Dry Grain Free Dog Foods

I truly believe that a good quality dog food can only enhance your dogs positive behavior, physical appearance and health. Good luck and your search.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts