Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends parents bred their male boxer with a new female boxer of theirs and had a gorgous litter of 6 flashy fawn pups. They gave us one of the smaller females when she was 3 months old, we named her Lucy. Anyways, we brought her home Tuesday Nov 20 and had her for almost 2 weeks when this happened. When I got home, my neighbors two pitbulls had broken through my privacy fence, not under, not jumped, but literaly broke through a wood plank to get in my yard. Needless to say the end result was me coming home from work last Friday to find our new puppy had been attacked and killed. We called the police and the other animals have now been removed and the owner cited for 5 different things regarding this, (dogs at large, no shots, no tags, unsafe keeping of a dangerous animal, etc). But I'm not sure what course of action I should take. According to another neighbor this wasn'tthe first time this guy had owned animals that had injured another persons dog or cat, but no one has ever stood up to him. I refuse to let it go as if nothing happened, I'm just not sure of what to do. There are many obvious things I'd like say or do, but I've refrained from doing so as I do not want the legal trouble resulting from hurt emotions.

Anyways, if anyone can offer any advice I'd appreciate it. Sorry to bring such bad news to such a great site. I've been looking over this forum for the 3 months prior to getting our puppy as I was trying to find as much info as we could about owning a boxer, we were really excited. I'm sure we will get another one again as we fell in love with this one as soon as she came home, but not for a little while, this has been pretty hard.

Thanks again and this is a picture of Lucy for those wondering what she looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
oh gawd, I couldn't imagine!! I would definately look into a civil suit of some sort for loss of your beloved puppy. Some people should never own dogs/animals. I just can't even begin to fathom coming home to see that...my heart goes out to you. I hope the owner of the other dogs gets what's coming to him and keep us updated on what happens. RIP little Lucy.

·
Registered
942 Posts
sully\";p=\"56207 said:
You left your puppy in the yard alone while you went to work???
Don't ride her to hard about that, we used to leave Harley in the yard all the time while I was at school and my mom and s-dad were at work...we never had one problem. I'm way to paranoid to leave Kaci or Milo outside, but I'm just saying.

·
Registered
578 Posts
OMG! I'm so sorry for your loss. I can not even imagine the pain you must be going through.  I know what it's like to lose a pet/best bud, but in such a violent way must be very difficult.  I can't even believe the dogs actually broke through your door! I would def stand up to that prick. I always feel so bad in situations like this b/c those dogs will need to be put to sleep and it's not even their fault. iT;S those asshole owners who should never be allowed to have an animal in the first place.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
That is sooo sad...

I wish I had some sort of advice to give you!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
CrazieKC\";p=\"56209 said:
[quote="sully\";p=\"56207":26e69oob]You left your puppy in the yard alone while you went to work???
Don't ride her to hard about that, we used to leave Harley in the yard all the time while I was at school and my mom and s-dad were at work...we never had one problem. I'm way to paranoid to leave Kaci or Milo outside, but I'm just saying.[/quote:26e69oob]

I don't know, the dangers of "outside dogs" are well documented on this site.  Theres even a sticky about it.  Maybe a full grown dog for a few hours, but a puppy?  I can't imagine.....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss....That is horrible!!!!  

I would suggest starting with the cops that you called out that came and sited the owner.  Ask them if charges will be filed and/or if you can file them yourself....It may have to be in small claims court.  

The other suggestion would be to contact the Humane Society at (912) 354-9515 and ask to speak to someone in animal investigations and see if they can offer you some information on your rights.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think leaving a dog out side in a fenced in yard is so bad...I don't leave baby out side and she is an adult she goes to her crate but if i had a fenced in yard i would leave her out side for a bit during the day..I know in the summer I would leave her out side when i went down town...i don't think anyone has the inclination that some big bad dog is going to break through their wood fenced in yard to eat thier dog..i know i would not....i would wrather have my baby out side to run and enjoy her time then be in a creat or stuffy house all day I feel so bad when i have to leave baby in her creat for more then an hour or two...and any one should feel safe on their own property even if they are not home they should be alowwed to have their dog out what if that was a child out their and the baby sitter went in the house to pee or answer the phone? that could have been any one or thing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
sully\";p=\"56214 said:
[quote="CrazieKC\";p=\"56209":3v1z5xxh][quote="sully\";p=\"56207":3v1z5xxh]You left your puppy in the yard alone while you went to work???
Don't ride her to hard about that, we used to leave Harley in the yard all the time while I was at school and my mom and s-dad were at work...we never had one problem. I'm way to paranoid to leave Kaci or Milo outside, but I'm just saying.[/quote:3v1z5xxh]

I don't know, the dangers of "outside dogs" are well documented on this site.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss of Lucy.  That's just awful for you.  I wouldn't back down or let them get away with it.  Stick up for yourself and Lucy whatever it takes.   Good luck with everything, sorry I don't have good advice.  Just wanted to send along my condolences.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
DUKE01\";p=\"56226 said:
Obviously they learned a hard lesson.  I know I have left Duke outside before and he is only 10 months old.  Once he was outside playing and didn't want to come in so I starting watching tv and fell asleep.  He was outside for a good couple of hours.  I understand your concern but they just lost a loved one, and i'm sure they are already blaming themselves enough already.
True true.  I really wasn't pointing fingers here, just trying to get the facts right before I try to make my usual bad attempt at amateur legal advice.  Obviously the pitbull owner is most likely the problem here.  

Just curious what type of fencing/enclosure the pitbulls had?  Did you share a fence/boundary with this neighbor?

G

·
0 Posts
lol i am the same way i get finger flusterd and brain flusterd when treying to get a point across and sometimes i just don't come out right..lol I am blond and a newfie can't help lol

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss, what a terrible thing to happen.  I would do whatever I could to the guy, these are the kind of people who should never own a dog or any kind of animal.  Run free little Lucy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I am not a fan of pitbulls and hope that you do everything you can. Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get anything more than the price of the dog and vet bills if there were any. The courts will not award damages based on your love for the dog.  It's unfortunate, that's for sure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
What a tragedy!
I hope there is something you can legally do...that sort of thing should never, ever happen again.

Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss...I have a three furbabies and can't imagine losing one..especially not that way...it must be devastating...I don't care if it's a Pit or a Poodle...if it broke through the fence and harmed one of your own on your property, then you NEED to do something...if this guy doesn't get the message loud and clear, it will happen again...and the next time, it could be a child...how are you to feel safe letting your future baby play in your back yard?(Any future baby...human or furbaby)  They need to take responsibility and they need to face consequences!  

We'll keep your family in our prayers...I am just so sorry...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm so very, very sorry that you lost your beautiful Lucy to such horrific circumstances. Not sure of the GA laws but most states still consider dogs as property and will only recompense dollar value, not suffering. That being said, I'd go to small claims court and get the owner of the pits for every nickel I could think of.... replacement costs of fence, dog and ANY other damage you can claim. I know it won't help your pain of your loss but maybe  in addition to fines for unrestrained dogs etc it will give the irresponsible owners something to think about!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, this is a terrible thing that happened. You should follow up with a law-suit.
I do have mixed emotions on this though. There are too many things in a yard that a puppy could get into, to leave them out unsupervised while you're at work. That's why many people on the forums crate their dogs while they're out of the house. For the safety of the dog, as well as the stuff inside the home as well.
I dont want to come off as harsh, but I'm not sure if you're placing the blame only on the other dogs, or if you understand that leaving the puppy out alone was also a factor in this.

If those dogs were supervised, or your dog was supervised..none of this would have happened.

I truly am sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry if I come off as too harsh. I just wanted to state my feelings on this.
Hopefully it will all get sorted out for you.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
this is horrible! what a sad day for you...my deepest sympathies go to you and your hubby. As stated before i would follow up with the police and human society. Try to get it where he cant own an animal again. From there take it to court and let the court decide. Please keep us posted on how things are. Once again i am so sorry this happened to Lucy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts