Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our puppy 5 days ago. He is about 8 weeks old. He has been aggressive towards our older boxer by biting on his back leg and not letting go, until we pull him off and tell him no. I know our older boxer starts him on the mouthing, but then the puppy will grab Radar(older boxer) by the cheek and won't let go. We don't want our puppy to play so rough, because he might be even more aggressive when he is older. Do you have any tips on what to do?  Also, he likes to chew on anything and everything and Radar was never like this.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Puppies still think they are with their littermates.   They learn bit inhibition by playing.   I would let the pup continute IMO playing with watching him carefully.   If he is playing too rough then your other dog will let him know, and put him in his place.  That is how they learn.   What does Radar do when the pup does this??  

For chewing check out the puppy section for biting stickies - there is lot of help and advice.   Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, your older dog will take it about himself to let the puppy know when enough is enough. Another option is to take the puppy to a puppy play date and see how he/she reacts to the other pups. When we brought our new pup into our home she would bite and hang on as well, our older pooch made sure that behavior stopped and they get along great now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radar lets him do it to him. Either Radar is a wuss or thinks he will get in trouble for nipping at him. Also, where we got our puppy, he was caged with a box/rotwieller mix and they played rough. So you think we should let him keep doing this to Radar? Even though it hurts Radar enough that he will let out a growl.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Radar will absolutely let him know when enough is enough... Jessie would do this to maggie all the time as a pup... Maggie lifter her head with Jessie attached to her jowls and jessie was completely lifted off the floor!!

Jessie will be 2 in may... She still bites Maggies hind legs when they play!

·
Registered
8 Posts
How does radar interact with other dogs? He is submissive, dominant, straight tailed and wagging? I think it is fine that you end the playing if Radar is getting frustrated with the needle teeth of your new addition. Bite inhibition is a very important training process. Typically litter mates, the bitch, and other dogs will give "lessons" in bite inhibition. If he spent time being allowed to bite hard he will need to be trained not to. How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks is a good resource for that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Your puppy isn't going to progress into aggressive behavior just because of this type of play.  Biting relentlessly and holding on are typical puppy antics, although it isn't pleasant for us!  Radar should let him know when enough is enough and it is important for Radar to have a chance to tell him so your pup will learn when to stop when another dog says so.
Radar probably won't even have to resort to nipping the puppy, if a growl doesn't work- he will probably lunge or snap at him next, but not connect with his teeth.  Do not correct Radar for this behavior, it is also important that he is able to tell your pup to knock it off.. other wise he might let it go until he does nip or bite the puppy.
Having said that, be sure to give Radar some peace and quiet everyday away from the puppy so he isn't constantly being harassed.

WElcome to BF!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers play rough, even as puppies..They also are very vocal..You hear a couple of them playing and it sounds like they are going to kill each other! I agree with what was said, watch them both, but I wouldn't intervene too much, your older Boxer will let the pup if he's had enuf...There's also a Sticky topic in the General Boxer section dealing with body language, you might want to check that out as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I will let them play as is, hopefully Milo will become more laid back like Radar is.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"88315 said:
Boxers play rough, even as puppies..They also are very vocal..You hear a couple of them playing and it sounds like they are going to kill each other! I agree with what was said, watch them both, but I wouldn't intervene too much, your older Boxer will let the pup if he's had enuf...There's also a Sticky topic in the General Boxer section dealing with body language, you might want to check that out as well
OH GOD!  Maggie makes the most awful noise when she and Jessie are playing...

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta, to this day bites Bo's leg, plays tug of war with his lips, and pulls his ears.  Bo will body slam her and pin her when he's had enough.  

Here is a Pic of Jetta going in for the kill!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts