Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 1 year old boxador. She is a lovely girl at home but the problems start when we encounter people she doesn't know outside, she tries to eat everyone and everything in sight, including the vet, has anyone get any tips to help me get her under control, we have just bought her a muzzle as that is the only way I feel comfortable walking her, that is in advance, gemma

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I am sure you will get some advise from people on here the are more knowledgable . Maybe you can be a bit more specific on her behavior. How is she reacting on leash, it she lunging, barking & growling ? What tool do you use when walking, flat collar, choke, pinch, e-collar? From what you are initially saying it sounds like she is leash reactive. There are some good links on this but you may need a good personal trainer to get you on the right path.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, she is all of the above when on the lead, I am using a face harness at the minute but I am getting a muzzle delivered today, she just doesn't like people or other animals, we have only had her a few months and was ok when we first got her, she was slightly nervous on walks but has progressively gotten worse

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
What I would do, and mind you I'm not a trainer. Is first I'd stop putting her in a position where she will meet other dogs/people, temporarily . I'd walk when no one is around as she learns confidence. I'd maybe go in my driveway or treat and see when she starts to get upset, like how far away are the other dogs poole, get her to focus on you while moving her further away until you are in a place she relaxes . I'd keep doing that until you see yourself maybe having shorter distances between where she gets upset . Meanwhile in your own space teach her to calmly walk on leash without distractions and focusing on you. I'm sure you will get more advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will try anything at the minute so I will give your ideas a go.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
This may be a lot of fear and as she gains confidence it may help. I'm training a pup now and he just went thru a fear cycle about two weeks ago, started barking and jumping at me. He didn't want anyone to come near him I just told people he was scared and to back away from him while getting his interest on me to walk or sit. This week I told people not to approach him and if they wanted to pet him to wait till he came to them and then not reach over hi head but under the chin while sniffing their hand. He is back to being a friendly puppy. Puppies go thru fear cycles and I think again around 8 months or so.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Uh oh, Lab Rage perhaps??? There a few Boxadors on here and generally speaking ... they are not like this??? :

https://animalso.com/breeds/boxer-lab-mix/

But whatever ... crap happens. So what to do??? But first I have to say ... that when a dog can be a "threat" to humans??? The best advise is to work with a competent qualified trainer experienced in rehabbing dogs with serious issues!! The next real world issue if one chooses that course of action, would be, well how do I find one???

So that is what "they" say but of course "they" tend to leave out the part in blue. And down the rat hole of crap trainers ... you can go?? So now you know and this crap is serious! If you mess up, people could hurt, you could sued and your dog could be put down! I likes to "Keep it Real" for people as the saying goes. :)

But if your are up to the challenge??? And you are willing to "make good choices for your dog" until he can make them for himself ... then I'm that guy! Because when I found myself with 116 lbs of over size working line GSD on my hands ... that "uh did not much care for people???" I figured no one can solve my dogs issues better than me. :)

Worked out fine but ... it was a life time of "management" but not a "burden??" He became safe in public and he could go everywhere with me, without issue. But he was never my people friendly, people safe with out question, American Band Dawg or Boxer!
I always knew exactly where he was and at home ... very, very few guest were allowed to interact freely with him! Most likely a bit of over kill on part??? But I did not care keeping him from making "poor choices was my only concern!

And sign it worked out fine ... in his 10 years with me ... he never bit anyone and never got a single correction for any untoward aggression towards strangers.

Sooo that much said Rocky and my story is here and for the record ... I think you will see that in the beginning ... I to used a "Muzzle." It helps the dog to relax because he realizes that he is not free to be a tool. And he helps the owner to relax because they are more comfortable that the dog can't bite. But the muzzle does not mean that you can just slap that on and be putting people in his face???

The muzzle is merely a safety back up! Your job is still to "keep people out of his freaking face!" Hands off my freaking dog ... "Thank You" ... I don't play!!

Our story can be found here.:
What would my dog do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

I feel that you can do this if your up for the challenge?? But your gonna need to make some changes. Step one would be Crate your dog .. if he is not?? That has nothing to do with what he does our does not do in the home?? It's about establishing Rules/Structure and Limitations!!

Now I skipped that step myself and the net result was well a trip to the ER for me in Breaking Up one of Five Pack Fights! So you know lesson learned there. If you sent the dog away for a two week Board and Train ... he would be Crated, nuff said.

Step two "don't be putting him in harms way! You already know he does not like people?? Take him at his word! Keep people out of his face! Treats and people is a seriously bad idea for dogs with people issues! A dog can take a treat from a stranger and still bite the crap out of someone!! They focus o the treat (if they actually will take it from stranger??" Gulp it down and then look up and see some tool in there face?? WTH where did he come from!?? And in an instant ... you have your first bite on the record ... faster than you can blink!! So yeah .. don't do that!

So step one is you need to make choices for your dog! Step two and if you can't do this effectively, you need to be able to "Walk Your Dog!" Straight up, no BS, if you can't do that ... you just need to rehome the dog before he bites someone!

If there is a "Secret" to getting this "right??" The ability to properly walk your dog on a loose leash is it! That is how you "Show Them What You Want." Best done in a distraction free environment, to start using a "proper tool!"

That said step two besides you making good choices. Is lose the freaking face harness!! NO serious trainer that could actually help ... uses that crap! You can't properly correct a dog with a "Harness!" Engineers notwithstanding. And a proper leash leash correction is a "slight tug sideways." It throws the dog sideways "off balance" and dogs are strongest front to back, a sideways correction with a "Face Harness" Will injury there neck!!

There is no debate on that one! If your gonna keep using that crap on your dog?? I can't help you ... just saying. :)

But if you want to understand a "viable option??" Then see my link here on my tool of choice a British Slip Lead Leash.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

Now I have done the best I could how to properly use it, but still few seem to get it ... despite the number of views?? I have heard from only a handful that say "Thank You" for the ifo. But whatever if you work rescue which I do a SL is the only too that a rescue will allow you to use on there dogs! It does not work for crap for them but if you know what your doing?? LOL 5 minutes, or less and pulling problems solved ... seemingly without effort. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

So give the SLL a shot using that thread. If it does no work for you?? Then option two would be a "Prong Collar." Now for that option first forget the crap about how they are suppose to work. It's still going to be a slight tug sideways with a properly fitted "Prong Collar" cept now the slight tug "sideways" would be a wrist flick!

It's the same deal but much less effort. Lot's of video's to explain it, some of them are in that link. But if they don't work for you ... the least expensive option would be to hire a trainer to show you how to properly walk your dog using a "Prong Collar."

And if you use "train me to properly walk my dog using a Prong Collar" your going weed out all the flakes that can't help you.:)

In closing ... I'll just say that "Lindar51" is pretty much giving the same advise I am, keep people out of your dog's face and make good choice for them. It's just that your dog is big enough to do serious harm to someone! So you have to keep it a notch!

And I'll add my core principle for a dog with people issues. "Who Pet's my Puppy or Dog!"It's in here.:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

I just kinda sorta kicked that advise up a notch, if approached ... I would stop about five feet away and body block my dog! I usually never said a word. I made it pretty crystal clear that my dog was off limits, without saying a word.

Nine times out of 10 most people got the hint. And my dog learned to understand ... that I had his back and people were no big deal??? He did get to interact with many strangers over his life time but every encounter had to be negotiation with me first!

Oh and for the record ... he was great at the Vet's office, no muzzle needed ... kinda rare with GSD's as a rule?? Those dogs seem to have a lot of issues being poked and prodded by strangers ... "Muzzles for everybody as it were.

Oh well most likely this is a lot to digest, so you know ask questions and Welcome Aboard in any case, sorry its been a bumpy ride so far. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
It took me a bit to learn that it's OK for a dog to not like other people or dogs. We are taught that they all need to be socialized and should be OK with people and dogs...some dogs are like some people....they like you and some dogs and people, but not everyone.

Lunging and aggression does need to be rectified and you have some good advice here and may get more. The muzzle is good to keep him and others safe.

As Lindar51 noted, there are fear issues sometimes too. Our one-year-old boxer has been skittish at the vet before, but when we took him a couple of weeks ago, he would have crawled through the wall if he could have to avoid a person.

I don't know if it was something about her, a fear cycle, a bad day...at home he is all about barking and playing and loves everyone who comes in our house.

I wish you luck...let us know how things progress.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hmm I see my freaking laptop was glitching?? Messed me up again!!! I double posted the SL thread and skipped this one!:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

I stumbled upon it (Place) myself with my GSD?? And did dig into it deeper once I knew what it was. My original version was "On the Lawn." My dogs were free to move about the whole of the front yard ... but they could not leave it!!

It was an anti theft measure for my Struddell. I over did the people friendly thing with her I suppose??? She was a dog that would happily walk or drive off with uh "Anyone!"

But "on the Lawn" stopped her ... "sorry I would luv to go with you but "dad" said "On the Lawn." :)

Not that I left her out sight for more than minuents but still ... crap happens! But that aside pretty much all the trainers I tend to follow that deal with dogs with serious issues. All of them train all dogs in "Place."

Place and Sit on the Dog are both quite useful with "Fear/Anxiety and Aggression" issues. Most likey it would help with severe cases of "Goofiness" also???

She was kinda sorta of a PIA with her antics with company. Male guest tened to luv her antics ... females not so much she did ignore them. I would tell her to go to bed when company came over, which she did. But she would whine and plead with company ... and then I became the bad guy???

So I'd give up and release the dogs as it were. And well laughter and chaos would ensue. It was a good time for all but she was a piece of work till she calmed down so what. Oh yeah and I was forgotten about for those weekends ... she slept with company. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all thanks for the replies, well we have been muzzling Bella when we go for walks and she seems to be calming a little with it on ( or it could be that I'm not on edge as much walking her). We got a buzz collar for her yesterday and it has a beeping sound function on it, I walked her for the first time last night with both muzzle and buzz collar on and the beep sound seems to work for now at least, she was just about to go mental when I pressed the beep and it distracted her straight away, it felt great, hoping we don't have to move onto the buzz. We have changed alot of things at home with her too, we have become more strict with her and she seems to be listening more to rules, but I will keep everyone posted on how she is doing. Thank is again for any help given.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hi all thanks for the replies, well we have been muzzling Bella when we go for walks and she seems to be calming a little with it on ( or it could be that I'm not on edge as much walking her). We got a buzz collar for her yesterday and it has a beeping sound function on it, I walked her for the first time last night with both muzzle and buzz collar on and the beep sound seems to work for now at least, she was just about to go mental when I pressed the beep and it distracted her straight away, it felt great, hoping we don't have to move onto the buzz. We have changed alot of things at home with her too, we have become more strict with her and she seems to be listening more to rules, but I will keep everyone posted on how she is doing. Thank is again for any help given.

Oh your still here??? :cheers:

I kinda sorta figured I'd scared you off, with a bit to much detail/insight?? I seem to have sent one new member running off to a Pro, for help with there dog, that was not my plan but, I guess that's not a bad thing??

It sounds like you have been making great progress thus far. And yep ... all problems start at home! If a dog is wild and out of control at home, then that is how they will be in the street! They get better at doing what they know. Sounds like a great job thus far. :)

But ... I'm not that great at being Mr Sunshine and if I "perceive" a potential issue??? Well ... I'm gonna point it out. Now that does not necessarily me right but it does make me. :crazyeye:

I made no mention of an E-Collar??? And couch it how you will, that is what your using it would seem?? Now I can't say that what you are doing with the Vibrate Mode, can't work??? But I can point out the "potential issue" with that course of action.

But first (on account of ... this is what I do) I have it on good authority, that, "The fastest and most humane way to properly, train your dog, is with the Proper Use Of An E-Collar!" That is a quote from one of my friends on the Geramnshepardforum, before we both got Banned??? But that is another story.

At any rate that guy would be Lou Castle ... this guy.:
How To...

And beyond that near as I can tell??? Every effective dog trainer that can help people with "difficult dogs" all train with an E-Collar and teach their clients how to properly use one. That's how they can say your dog can do "X" in two to three weeks time.

Doing what I do and advocate, I can't make that claim??? To me "time is not money" so I'm not in a particular hurry. :)

I use a Slip lead Leash myself because I work rescue and a SLL is the only tool most rescues will let you on there dogs! Now that said ... the potential "issue" currently that are you are not seeing with your "buzz." Is that you are working the dog at "Working Level" ie "Below threshold." The dog responds quickly because, she does not really care that much about that particular issue???

But "what will happen when/if she doesn't care about the "Buzz???" A higher level of "Buzz" would be necessary and she still may not care??? A higher level of "Buzz" would be a "Correction" for "poor choices. And to stop a dog from going after people, ... there needs to be "Crystal Clear Punishment" for "Poor Choices!"

Proper management with a leash and an owner making "good Choices" ie not putting a dog in a situation for which (the dog) is not yet ready to handle.

At any rate, I,m not trying to sound like Johnny Downer??? I made my share of mistakes with my problem "Child GSD." And my "Goal" is to try and help others ... not make those same mistakes.

And not making changes in the home and how the dog interacts with you day in day and day out ... was a Big One! But the E-Collar and the Vibrate Mode???

Your own your own there, my only "insite" there is "your dog is not under stress" (when you buzz) and her instant compliance," could give you a false sense of control???" But I don't know if that is the case with your dog???

But if you hang out with the Big Dawgs, you learn to better understand the concept of "Proofing Your Dog???" You build up there trust in you ie, "Walk Them." Do sit on the dog and train Place. They learn what is expected and once they understand, that "Place Means Place." You can then start to add stress under duress and "Correct Them" for breaking Place! Why they did ... does not matter. They know what is expected of them and for me that means ... "Do Nothing Dog!"

It's relatively easy to control a dog with uh ... people issues when your "eyes on???" But in the "Real World, "Crap Happens??" And if your not around "if" it does ... then the fall back "Plan B" is gonna be ... your dog understanding how to make "Good Choices???"

Been there done that ... "Worked Out Fine!" Rocky broke Place in an out site of "Place Command" and on that day in that particular situation ... I was "THRILLED HE DID!!" :)

I train dogs ... to "Make Good Choices" (apparently) by showing them what I want and how I expect them to behave. And in my "Opinion" as a slightly above average member of JQP, doing that does not take a lot of fancy tools??

I likes to KISS, myself ... but you know on GSDForum they tell me I'd not come across the "wrong dog" yet! But hey ... I'm still looking. :)

But ... on that day Rocky broke, "Place??" But that is another story, happy to share if you'd like ... "Rocky got an A++++, on that day!

Aww well, long way of saying that despite the "Critique" ... you've done a good job thus far. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts