Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI EVERYONE!

Well it has been a long time since I have been on this page. Our last boxer passed 3 years ago and we just decided to get another one this summer. Well she is 6 months old and is a very bad dog. She chews on all of my furniture and anything else she can get her hands on.

We have tried to keep her in the crate while we are gone but she has not responded to it well. We only leave her for 1-2 hours at a time. We have a divider in the crate and yet has poop accidents all the time. We only give her enough space to sit down. it became too much for us to clean up so we decided to leave her in the house. She did good for a few weeks. never touched anything and never had accidents. Now she is destroying my house. I tried to buy the bitter spray. I dont want to be a prisoner in our own home.

Any suggestions on how we can fix this is much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Uh Oh, did you get her as a puppy and she is six months old now??? Or is she a six a 6 month old rescue??

Cuz, if she was a puppy then for the most part it's what you did ... with the "wrong pup." If she is rescue ... your working with someone else's mistakes.

I only ask out of curiosity?? Cuz you know if it was a puppy, we all know exactly what you did. And "most" of the time with "most" pup's but it works out fine. But "sometimes" not so much??? In "either" case .... take a step back and try and "Chill," we got your back! Cuz as they say ... "All problems, begin at home." :)

Oh and 1 to 2 hours ... is nothing! She is just being a "tool," the first step in any case, would be start to feed her in her "Crate" only! But it sounds like she is just bored and it's "Separation Anxiety" so if you did get her as a puppy??? The next question would be, was she ever left home alone, ever during that time???

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can only speak to my own experiences, but there is a wealth of knowledge on here. Try searching for "chewing". I'm on my 2nd boxer (the Duke is ~8 months now) and I still will not leave him to free roam - even just to go to the gym 1 floor down. He has chewed furniture, eaten coasters, pens, etc...all when I have left him alone. He is, however, very much crate trained and can be left much longer than 1-2 hours.He also will not chew anything when I'm around. I did use the bitter spray, with some success, but mostly I encourage him to play and especially chew with his toys. He has a few great chew toys and those hard cheese bones will keep his attention for a long time. Going on experience with my past boxer, slowly I will trust him to free roam more and more as he gets past the 1-year mark. If I were going to leave him out though, I'd probably make sure he was dead tired. Before crating him, try tiring him out and then give him the hard cheese bone in the crate when you go out. Try feeding him in there too - dogs usually won't go the bathroom where they eat/are used to eating. Oh, and make sure you walk the heck out of him before you leave him for any length of time in his crate...especially at first. Should cut down on accidents.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Bellbell...Go to this site https://www.susangarrett.com/crate-games-online/

She has some useful advise on training to the crate. Its proven and works but it does take time. My guess is you let her out of her crate too soon and she probably has some separation anxiety on top, which is why you had a problem crate training in the first place. Our boxer did not get res roam of the house until he was almost 2 although he really was trust worthy at that point but I always knew he and my house were safe. Now he just chills wherever he please's. Large Himalayan yak bones are very good at keeping her busy b ut I always supervise as when they get smaller they become a choking hazard. You can use them as a special treat for use in crate only when you are there but going about your business, that way you can check on her. At 6 months she is still a handful and her teeth hasn't permanently set into her jawbone, hense she will still chew. Try redirecting her to a toy, rope or bone. I also like the Dentley stuffed femur bones. Continue spraying the bitter apple on your stuff . You can also tether her to you when you are home teaching her limits. She should easily be able to stay in a crate 4 hours by now and thru the night. It sounds like she is in charge right now but you can fix it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not going to be much help because my guy really didn't chew on anything, except he occasionally tried to bite the handle for a recliner. One day he was being a big time pain in the butt with trying to get to it, so I finally decided, ok I'll make you stop. Took a drop of hot sauce and put it on the handle, he goes over and sniffs it licks it clean and looks at me with the, can I have more look. LOL talk about back firing.

You are going to have to get her crate trained though. I would say thats the priority because you can't leave her unsupervised and if you did that could turn into a really bad situation.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
. Took a drop of hot sauce and put it on the handle, he goes over and sniffs it licks it clean and looks at me with the, can I have more look. LOL talk about back firing.
LOL yeah the "Hot Sauce" bit?? That has to be an "Urban Legend" cuz it never seems to work???

Cuz it never seems to work?? My first dog Gunther (Band Dawg) would eat cat crap from the litter Boxes!! If I did not clean it first. So I tried "Hot Sauce???" Yeah that did not work at all! The first time I tried it ... he ate "Cat Crap," with more gusto as in "WOW Cajun flavored Cat Crap, delicious!! :crazyeye:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Elk antlers have worked wonders for my two Staffordshire mixes and seems to be working well with my newly acquired 8 mo old Boxer. Something to chew on while cutting those teeth. They still like chewing on them 15 min or so a day, even at 5, 2, and now 8 months.

I have always made a point to take out (and accompany) all of them through their house training. None are allowed to roam unless we’re home, but at night, only the puppy is crated - though the 5 year old sleeps in his crate like it’s a bed (4” memory foam).

If we both need to go somewhere over 3-4 hours, they go to doggy daycare.

There are lots of great instructions out there for house training. I’ve found that when I reward them as puppies as soon as they relieve themselves where I want them too, they pick it up pretty quickly. It does sound like separation anxiety may be a factor and that’s a bit harder to train out. If you have a reliable dog trainer in your area, you might consult with them.

Good luck! Generally speaking, there are no bad dogs...just lack of training!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
LOL yeah the "Hot Sauce" bit?? That has to be an "Urban Legend" cuz it never seems to work???

Cuz it never seems to work?? My first dog Gunther (Band Dawg) would eat cat crap from the litter Boxes!! If I did not clean it first. So I tried "Hot Sauce???" Yeah that did not work at all! The first time I tried it ... he ate "Cat Crap," with more gusto as in "WOW Cajun flavored Cat Crap, delicious!! :crazyeye:
Lol. It was the only thing I had that I figured he might not like the taste. I was wrong. All in all though, he was great about not chewing anything.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Elk antlers have worked wonders for my two Staffordshire mixes and seems to be working well with my newly acquired 8 mo old Boxer. Something to chew on while cutting those teeth. They still like chewing on them 15 min or so a day, even at 5, 2, and now 8 months.
Elk Antlers tend to be very hard! On Germanshepardforum a few dogs had broken teeth from those things!

With Struddell (Avatar) I gave her cow bones (leg's or knuckles) and they would last for weeks. With or new APBT/Boxer ... she had exactly one leg bone, which she promptly broke in half and started to turn the rest into "Shards??" So no more leg bones! The knuckles hold up better which she seems to break apart and eventual turn to "gnaws" in half and turns those to shards! But it takes longer to accomplish with those. :)

And while there is certainly nothing wrong with "Hiring a trainer," that seems a bit "extreme" for a six month old puppy??? But if it's a choicer between that or "re-homing the puppy??" Then sure "Hire a Trainer" would be a better option. But ... the Devil is in the details. As in "Hire who exactly???"

It's a loaded question actually, as I already the answer. And the first "Gentle Paws" Positive Only Trainer, would be the answer nine times out of ten. :)

A private trainer and an hour a day for most likely ... "Two Weeks??" Is kinda pricey for that??? I tend to think??? If that is the route they want to take ... just go with "Lindar's" link cuz it would be pretty much the same thing. And a lot less expensive to "DIY."

There is pretty much nothing "unusual" about this puppy??? Pretty much "par for the course" and typifies my only reluctance in recommending Boxers, to anyone. IE ... to quote me, "they can be a pretty hair pulling experience for some owners." And that is kinda where the OP is.

Right now there are no rules, structure or "CONSEQUENCES" for the puppy's ... ill behavior, in the Crate. A "Balanced Trainer" could fix this "crap behavior" right quick. IE they "Reward good behavior and correct/punish bad behavior," in the Crate. Cuz right now what the puppy has learned is "if I throw a big enough fit, I'll be outta here in short order!" It works every time??

But hey I am better at De-Crate Training then I am at, continuing Crate Training?? And I will grant that did come back to bite me in the butt, with my first Wl GSD?? That lack of discipline/structure was a uh ...mistake. But it worked out fine in the long run ... stitches notwithstanding. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
21 Posts
That’s why I mentioned consult vs hire. I wouldn’t “hire” one. I’ve been through two obedience classes and an agility 1 with my various dogs, and wouldn’t hesitate to text her a question if I got stumped, and I know she would answer.

Not sure if the Staffies have stronger teeth than GSDs, but over 5 years, no issues. I do get them big enough where they gnaw the ends more than bite down. Quality ones can be expensive too! Amazon has a great variety.

May I ask what a WI GSD is? I get the GSD as used to own one, but not familiar with the WI at all.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
That’s why I mentioned consult vs hire. I wouldn’t “hire” one. I’ve been through two obedience classes and an agility 1 with my various dogs, and wouldn’t hesitate to text her a question if I got stumped, and I know she would answer.
Hey no problem. And sorry if I sounded "Bitter???" PTSD, from thousands of post and uh "Millions of words" from endless "internet conflicts" on GermanshepardForum, in the "past"my bad. :chair:

I was always, "That Guy" over there. Both the "Boxer guy" and that guy ... that "Constantly Railed" against the system. :)

And every time someone had a "Uh Serious Freaking Issue" and I mean issues wayyy, beyond the "issue" here. The call was always "Find a Trainer." But no one every said, how and who, ... exactly??

And to a newbie ... all trainers look pretty much the same??? And off they go to the first Positive Only/Gentle Paw's or Luv'ing Paws, trainer they find with there ill behaved, Human Aggressive or Dog Aggressive, GSD. And after spending lot's of time and $$$. And then finding what those trainers were trying was not ... working?? The call comes back "Sorry your dog is unfix-able
(They never say "Cuz you know" I'm wayyy out of my league here???) and it would be best to "Free Him From His Demons." :(

And most likely had I stuck with Bully Breeds ie Band Dawg's, Boxer's and APBT/Boxer's??? I'd not be here?? But when I ventured into a "Foster Fail" with my first WL (Working Line) GSD, he proved to be a bit more than a "Big Furry Dog with a pointy face???"

As in one day out of the Blue?? Human Aggression ... WTH??? Now I had a "Serious Freaking Issue??" And the only thing I knew was that the Average Trainer, would be a waste of time and money! So I figured, no one can fix my dog better than me??? Uh I just had to figure out ..."what to do???" And "we" did and it worked out fine for many years,and I lost Rocky two years ago.

But he was a great dog! And lived to be ten .... sigh. But in his ten years he did get to meet many strangers and went "everywhere" with me! And he never bit a single stranger! But yeah "figuring" things out did have a cost uh to me and Gunther. Pack Fight's and stitches for me (breaking up Pack Fight's!) And yeah no Boxer involvement!

So "figuring it out" the "hard way" does have some cost. But I did Blaze the path for other's. And being a "lone Wolf" it took me years to "figure out what I'd done, exactly???" But between "internet battles" and lot's of searching and finding and posting "some" Balanced Trainers, I finally did! And I shared what I learned, on GSDForum. So our story is here.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

And for the record ... Rocky was also a "Wobble Dog/Ataxi" so no leash "Corrections" at all. It was all done thru "Positive Only" and "Space management" as it happens.

But in searching for answer as to how I did what I did?? And something practical for the OP in the hunt for a "Trainer" if they chose?? Just ask Who ever, trainer??? One additional question "Do you Train Place??" And if the answer is not "well of course I do," I'd thank them, for there time and keep looking!

Or .... "Sit on the Dog" and "The Place Command" are both covered here and those should both be done with this puppy. And if "trainer" that can actually help, trains that (Place and some do Sit on the Dog) or they can show "an owner ... what to do. :)

https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Yeah it's a lot of info and links. But they could also call any of the trainers there that are close to them. And ask them for guidance on finding a trainer. :)

Not sure if the Staffies have stronger teeth than GSDs, but over 5 years, no issues. I do get them big enough where they gnaw the ends more than bite down. Quality ones can be expensive too! Amazon has a great variety.

May I ask what a WI GSD is? I get the GSD as used to own one, but not familiar with the WI at all.
Aww, heck neither am I (who's teeth are stronger??) But it's like "Dog Park's" ie I went to the Dog Park today and "nothing happened." Most likely the same with the Antlers?? I gave my dog Antler's today and they were fine. :)

And I think I cleared up the WI bit that was a mistype as it should have been (WL) Working Line GSD. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gotcha. I was in Law Enforcement 17 years of the 28 I spent on active duty in the Air Force. Majority of that time I had military working dogs and their trainers assigned to my shifts - sometimes as many as three during one shift. Should have been able to figure that out myself since we identified them as military “working” dogs - lol. Very familiar with their capabilities since I would “catch” for them now and then.

I’m really hoping the Boxers are a bit easier going!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Gotcha. I was in Law Enforcement 17 years of the 28 I spent on active duty in the Air Force. Majority of that time I had military working dogs and their trainers assigned to my shifts - sometimes as many as three during one shift. Should have been able to figure that out myself since we identified them as military “working” dogs - lol. Very familiar with their capabilities since I would “catch” for them now and then.

I’m really hoping the Boxers are a bit easier going!
LE K9 handler, Really??? :clap:
LOL, did you work "mostly" with WL GSD's or Malinois??? Did you ever come across any MAL/GSD crosses??? And that last one ... the dog that helped get Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Or perhaps an Akita cross, but whatever, they don't take well to "New Handler's as I understand??" As I understand, and not a good trait for a Military Working Dog. I only know of one such, dog a Seal Team reject, and last I heard when his new handler "Slam Dunc" left him for a week end with the station "Kennel Master" Slam's dog craved him up like a turkey!

Oh Slam is a Swat Team LE K9, and we did not get along to well. And over there the "Pro's" that last ... tend to not make a lot of waves??? They actually take pride in getting rid of ... the "outlier's, there GSDF???" I managed to last a few months longer than one of my "Friends." That would be this guy. Hm, well I can't find his site any more?? So maybe he retied??

But this article is from Lou,\Castle, many years ago. ... https://www.policek9.com/html/bogard2.html
And he and I saw eye to eye on most issues. But he was to much for them and they banned him first and I managed to last about six months longer ... until Slam became a Mod!! And I said uh one time to many some, LE K9 handlers aren't as good as I am with my dog!!

As, I have an issue with LE K9's, carving up neighbors! And I backed it up with an article of a K9 officer going to jail that day because he could not control his freaking dog! And that was the last straw for me over there. :)

Ah whatever ... so they are free to pretty much now "always" say "Find a Trainer" (and don't say how) free from interference.

But a Boxer?? Naw I doubt you'll have any issues?? Especially if you start with a puppy?? The biggest Box issues that are most commonly seen are of the "I don't wanna type," much like the subject of this thread. :)

But :Boxer's" if you don't know??? There are two types American Line, like my Struddell (which tend to be uh kinda Goofy, Piggy Headed, People Luv'ing, and great family dog's.) And the more serious Euro's (which are ... still being used as working K9's to this day in the Mid West. :)

And I'm a bit suspect of the Euro's as I am not eager to duplicate my WL GSD, experience anytime to soon! But I never had a Euro, and those that do have them ... seem to "always" assure me that "NO" a Euro is not a WL GSD in a Boxer suit?? And ... they are too, "Goofy!" And "Goofy" is an odd bone of contention ... but "Boxer folks" you know. :)

But by and large "Boxer's" with serious freaking issues?? Are fairly rare here?? They do show up but usually maybe three or four a year, if that??? And as I am want to do ... "contrast" that with "GSD's!" And this is just from today!:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/

The "issues," roll in daily! And yet still always "GSD's" are the number three most popular dog in America, go figure???

But hey ... my new dog (Bella) APBT/Boxer mix my second such and the first was a "Male!" Has taken me down a few peg's??? As it turns out I am more of a "Behaviorists" then a "Dog Trainer???" And I did not start off with a "hand picked puppy "this" time. There seems to be a difference (for me) between 8 weeks to 7 months and a One Year old rescue???

And if a dog is not a "Clear and Present Danger to people" apparently I cut them a lot of slack???

I think Bella my have spent one week in the living room at night, w/o a leash on her indoors, with me??? And that was because I have four cat's (working on number five!) And Bella "had" a cat issue! And it took about "Week" to get that right!

And then it was "Crate" in the bed room and sleep in the crate "Dog!" And that lasted about uh "One Night??" And well prior to me ... "Bella" had spent anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day in her Crate, without issue.

But hey not my style?? "No" serious issues here?? So back to "Boxer"style as it were. Free roaming in the house, cat's and all/ up on the furniture/ and free roaming in the house and she sleeps with me! So we are rolling "Boxer Style!" And I did train her "Place!" And kinda "half ass-ed" at that but for indoors more than "Good Enough!"And we can leave her alone by herself with cat's and "Zero Issues!" :)

But that was the limit ... for me ... apparently?? Cuz, everything I have taught her, was tightly controlled! And if I use a "SLL" I can get anything done! So she of course walks well on leash. Although off and on ... I have used a "Prone Collar" for the first time in 20 years, with her, did I say "Pig Headed!!!"

Cuz uh ... she does kinda "ramp up on the (Female) Boxer pigheadedness! I'd have chosen a "male" for a mix ... but I digress.

My current issue, is "now" No Recall, with distractions?? If I have no leash on her out and about, I have "Zero" control??? It's a far cry from my Rocky (GSD) who seldom went anywhere on leash. He would take point on walks and when he did not wanna lead?? He would step to the side and let me lead and he would follow! He luv'd doing that in the few " High Grass" possible Rattle Snake areas around here! No need for Rattle Snake Aversion training, with him. Finding them ... was my job. :)

So "Rocky" was now what I was used to?? And I did too much to soon and "ignored" well my own "I just got a Rescue" advise, when I got Bella. So I went to training "Down!" Which I knew is pretty powerful but hey ... no big deal?? Well apparently ... I was wrong! Too much to soon, I got it done but not how I would have liked?? Pure compulsion, I got it done ... but I freaked out at how ... I accomplished it!

And after that experience, I finally started my first thread to "Ask" for advise! As seen here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/205492-new-dog-house-chip-beat-down-were.html

It's an on going saga, and getting recall down has "forced" me into "Dog Parks!" As I have to have fences, to insure her safety and let her roam free!! And I pretty much try to avoid, other dogs uh at the Dog Park even! More like if anyone is there, we don't go in! I find it pretty hard to break 20 year's of "No Unknown Dogs??" But on a couple of occasions, I got trapped and if we are inside the Dog Park already and the other dog comes i before I can get out ... no choice but ... she's been fine. But if she can get to the fence "before" they can get in?? She pretty much put's on a display that scares the heck out of everyone!!

But off leash LOL, uh NO!" And It's a far cry from Rocky and my Bunny Chasing free ranging open desert adventures with Struddell! But I gotta update, cuz we are making progress. :)

But back on point ... and the Crate! Yeah this owner and this "puppy" at this point?? The puppy/almost dog ... has to be Crated!! But I was content to let other's handle it?? But LOL ... find a trainer ... was like "Raw Meat to me!" My bad, I did not see consult with trainers?? My bad. :chair:

But hey I presupposed, all Boxer folks tend to be on the "soft-ish side??" And you know ... don't wanna be upsetting, Foo Foo, by going hard core on there butt?? But "Find a Trainer" LOL ... I bit!

Cuz you know a "Board and Train" with a complainant "trainer??" They are not gonna, spend a two or three week "Board and Train" just to get the dog in a kennel and settled down??? Nope they will "correct the Dog in the Crate, for ill behavior, in the Crate! A day or two and that kinda crap will stop!

A "Pet Convincer":
Pet Convincer or throw a blanket on the Crate and bang the crap out of the crate of the Crate if the dog whine's or move's about and a day or two and the Crate is over, for civilians!

But hey I am better at De-Crate training then Crate Training ... so there is that. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Almost all were GSD. In fact, the only non-GSD I remember was a psycho Belgian Malinois at last assignment (late 80s, early 90s). And I did not help with that one. In fact, kennel master was only one besides handler that participated in his training. Funniest thing though, if you wore winter type gloves, he’d let you pet him as long as you wanted (handler always present, dog always under positive control).

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Almost all were GSD. In fact, the only non-GSD I remember was a psycho Belgian Malinois at last assignment (late 80s, early 90s). And I did not help with that one. In fact, kennel master was only one besides handler that participated in his training. Funniest thing though, if you wore winter type gloves, he’d let you pet him as long as you wanted (handler always present, dog always under positive control).
LOL ... sounds like par for the course!

Back in the day ... WL GSD's were the thing. But these day's the Military has switched over to Mal. The Air Force has a special command that breeds there own Mal's, for military use.

I had heard it said that the Military was finding it to tough, to find the number of good WL GSD's they need these day's?? So they just switched to Mal's and breed there own. LE enforcement however still to favor, WL GSD's and Euro Boxer's in the Mid West??? :)

The glove thing is kinda odd but the "handler sensitive" not so much. If that is a "minor trait," in a PB Mal?? Then most likely it get's ramped up in a Mal/Cross??? Not a Dog for fool's. :)

Aww well the Euro Boxer's can do the same job's! But aside form the Mid West ... no one know's???

If I wanted ie could afford a serious Working Boxer?? I'd go here.:
Boxers von Bachbett- Working German Boxers

Home of Cliff von Grand Kevin.
Cliff vom Grand Kevin

We have a member here that has a son of "Cliff!" :)

Those are "Serious Dog's" but I doubt they are Malinois Crazy??? But for most people an American Line ... would be more what they would expect?? Goofy. Happy, People Friendly and Family Dog's that just make you smile and laugh!

Although, they can be a PIA, to train?? Especially the "Female's" (my favorites) but yeah a lot of "are you serious," to be found with the girl's???"

My current Female, APBT/BOXER ... seems to have doubted down on that particular trait??? :confused:

But hey we are getting there! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would suggest that you pup may need more activities? I have my dogs out on walks and dog park or trail walks at least two hours every morning then I usually take them for another walk for a mile in the afternoon. Maybe if she were tired the crate wouldn't seem so bad to her when you leave. Another suggestion I have heard is getting a KONG toy and put some peanut butter inside of it and give it to her in the crate while you are gone (get the large size not able to swallow) sometimes these destructive behaviors are just boredom I don't know if you have a dog park around but sometimes its possible to meet some nice dogs to play with (got to watch out though)! Boxers are super sensitive and intelligent and they require some mental and physical stimulation when they are young as they get older you will not have so many issues I found its usually 2 when they settle down. I have had 6 boxers in my life now and this has been the case with all of them. I know sometimes its exhausting dealing with a puppy but it gets better!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Well so far it seems, the OP is MIA??? And we can't help if they aren't going to participate?? So you know if they are just done with puppy?? Contact a local Box Rescue and offer to "Foster in place" and re-home "this" puppy.

Cuz you know "Boxer's" are not the rig"Breed," for everybody?? With the information given thus far?? It strikes me that there is "nothing" unusual about this Boxer pup?? In fact it seems to be why ... I am "reluctant" to recommend them! IE they are not as a general rule a Law Suit, on four paws, looking for a place to happen?? But they can drive you nut's!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just find they don't do well with nothing to do cause if you don't give them something to look forward to doing they will find something to do you may not like!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts