Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just got a 10 month old boxer named Baxter from a Rescue shelter and was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on my problem (which could be nothing).  I grew up having dogs and finally decided on a boxer after a few months or research.  We love him but Mr. Hyde came out during his walk last night after dinner.  I will post a few pictures of the little devil  :D when i get a chance.

I just brought him home from the rescue shelter that he was at 2 days ago.  The first couple of times that I took him for a walk he was fine.  But last night, my girlfriend and I took him for another walk a few hours before bedtime and he was almost uncontrollable (wouldn't listen to commands).  I just bought a retractable leash (used it for the first time) and I'm not sure if that's what set him off or if it is something else.  In the house he is playful and obedient for the exception of a few puppy mistakes.

Yesterday's time line....
    1. In the morning i took him for a walk for about 25-30 mins on his regular leash before i went to work.
    2. I took him out on my lunch break and he was fine then too.  But that was more of a go outside to the bathroom than a walk.
    3. My girlfriend took came home at 4:30 and took him for another 30-40 minute walk and was ok but wanted to jump on people that          passed which made her nervous.
    4. We took him for a walk after dinner around 8pm and made it about a third of the way around the loop that we take him before we had to turn around and go home because of how he was behaving.

5. This morning i took him out for his morning walk 25-30 mins and it was night and day compared to how he was on last night's walk (attempt).  

My question - Did we take him for too many walk for a 10 month old???  Do I just chaulk it up to him still getting used to the new environment??

He is not a bad dog at all and he listens to most of the commands.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.....

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: Need help with your thoughts for a beginner Boxer owner.

What was the bad behavior? You know, I walked Abby and Brady in the semi-dark/dark for the first time the other night...typically I walk them before sunset and it was a whole new world. Normally, she is excited to see people (wants to jump but as people approach, I put her in a sit) but that night every person we saw she BARKED at, oh my goodness, people must have thought we were nuts! I wondered if because it was dark out...harder to see people clearly and maybe she was nervous? Could that be the case?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Sometimes our two nut cases think that this is playtime and will bite at their leashes and jump around like Mexican jumping beans.  :roll:   Totally uncontrollable.

I agree too that at nighttime, ours will be on the defensive a little more than usual and I chalk that up to their age and maybe the inability to see real well in the dark.  

Let us know exactly what he was doing and we can try to work with you on solving the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

With out anyone around, he was jumping up and down and turning around to bite at the leash.  It was very weird.  

I guess he could be nervous but the first walk we took him on when we got him back to our house was at night around 10pm.  

This mornings' walk went fine with no problems.  I am trying to get him used to seeing people so he doesn't jump and i would grade this morning's walk interacting with a couple of people a C.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Yeah help us out with the bad behavior? I dont use a retractable because ive always been scared Zeus and Dante would break it. I dont think if you walk a dog more than 5 times a day is too many. I  think the more time you spend with your dog is a good thing and will help you guys mingle. But like Abby said above when Zeus is misbehaving i put him in a sit position until he calms down. Oh yeah carry treats they love to eat them on walks when they are being good.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Well it depends on how long each walk is - I believe the general rule of thumb is that you should allow 5 minutes of exercise per month of age, so 50 minutes per day should be sufficient for Baxter.  I know it has nothing to do with his behaviour problems, but you don't want to put too much stress or strain on his little muscles and joints.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

mom2scoutandgunner\";p=\"11653 said:
Sometimes our two nut cases think that this is playtime and will bite at their leashes and jump around like Mexican jumping beans.  :roll:   Totally uncontrollable.
Is basically dead on.  

Since he is still new to us, i am not sure if it was a playful behavior  (it may have been though).  It's just weird that he didn't act like that the first time that we walked him at night.  He did not respond to commands very well.  When i would get him to sit, he would only sit for a few seconds.  He would then get back up to jump around and biting the retractable leash.  Could it actually be the leash (yes i know it's a stupid  question)?  I will try with the regular leash.

I will try again and let everyone know tomorrow.

If you can think of anything else please let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Honeyec\";p=\"11661 said:
Well it depends on how long each walk is - I believe the general rule of thumb is that you should allow 5 minutes of exercise per month of age, so 50 minutes per day should be sufficient for Baxter.  I know it has nothing to do with his behaviour problems, but you don't want to put too much stress or strain on his little muscles and joints.

Yeah, i read that too.  Does that also apply to the running around he does indoors or is that for outdoor only?

thanks.
ed

·
Registered
905 Posts

I think it means taking him for walks and stuff.  Anyone would be hard pushed to stop a Boxer messing around indoors!

Well, any Boxer I've met anyway...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

He did not respond to commands very well.  When i would get him to sit, he would only sit for a few seconds.  
Has he been taught commands?  Does he know that when you get him to sit, he's supposed to stay there until you release him?

My guess would be no, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear he was surrendered because he was 'uncontrollable' - meaning, of course, that his previous owners never bothered to train him.  He's acting like a typical exuberant Boxer puppy - he's far too young to be perfectly-behaved, and too new to you to know what you want from him.  Take the time to teach him, and you'll not only have a delightful companion, but you'll also develop a strong bond with him. :)

A couple of sites with good ideas on teaching basic good manners are  www.clickersolutions.com ("Training Articles" section) and www.pawsitivesolutions.net ("Puppyhood" section).

Does that also apply to the running around he does indoors or is that for outdoor only?
It applies to forced exercise - any exercise that is not under his control - walking on lead, or where he is trying to follow or keep up with you, games of fetch or chase or frisbee, etc.  Free exercise - where he decides when and for how long to run, walk, jump, rest, etc. - does not need to be limited (except for temperature considerations, and some try to avoid too much jumping down from high places).

·
Registered
616 Posts

I just think that he may think it's play time.  We use the retractable leashes too since we let them roam in the field close by.  They are not well on their recall and cannot be trusted off leash together.

Scout had done that jumping around and biting the leash for a while before we trained him not to.  Use a stern "No" and jingle the leash a little to get his attention.  Keep repeating the "no" command and he will learn that it is unacceptable.  You should also bring treats with you in your pocket and re-inforce his good behavior.  

Gunner is our puller and when he walks without pulling or sits at the corners before crossing the street, he is rewarded.  

Your problem sounds more like a puppy thing.  He will test his boundary as to what he can or can't do with you.  Be consistant and patient with him.  Scout is now 1-1/2 years old and he walks beside us wonderfully.

·
Registered
948 Posts

My boyfriends pitbull will usually turn around grab the leash and jump around towards the end of the walk be/c he doesn't want to stop yet.. Maybe thats the case?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Advise from a professional trainer and longtime Boxer owner:

It just sounds like typical Boxer puppy play to me.  I also don't think he has been trained (I agree with Newcastle about the reason he was likely surrendered).  He is probably completely clueless as to what you are asking him to do.  If I were you, I would begin training him.  Utilize his energy and play drive to your advantage and include play as a reward during training.  Pups are learning when they play too so that is a great time to teach manners, like drop it, bring it back, and go get it.

Best of luck!!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Newcastle - to your point, he does know and also obeys the few commands that he knows indoors.  Thank god that sit and stay are two of them.   :D  Unfortunately, outside is a little tougher.  He does stay at times but standing up not sitting down.  I agree that i need to work more on the commands outside with him and I'm already looking for an group obedience school class in the area.  Thanks for the advice.  

Flutterby - to your point  he was doing this about 5 mins into the walk.

I def. need to bring more treats with me than before.

Thanks everyone for all the input.  I understand that he needs more training which I am more than willing to do with him.  I will post in a few days with an update.

thanks again.

·
Registered
616 Posts

It's easy for them to lose concentration when outside.  There is too much stimuli out there.  It was always harder for me when they were outside.  Another good thing to teach him is to sit at the corners (and treat him) whether you are crossing the street or not.  It gives more opportunity to train him.  Once he is older you can treat less often when you think he should know the commands and obey them.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Getting a younger dog to concentrate is hard, but when you go out into the big world, it's even harder...I always had issues with mine when they were younger on walks..So I ended up turning the walk into a training session..Lots of starts & stops, turns, switching sides, you name...He needs to concentrate on you, not what's going on around him...When I take my 2 to the park, even Samson at the ripe old age of 10 still acts up occasionally..A quick tug on his lead, generally reminds him..Definitely take lots of treats..I used to carry a pouch of them with me to dole out fo rgood behavior...I also taught mine to stop at corners, that can save your life, so it's a good command to teach....

Welcome to the forum and kudos for rescueing that guy...Be patient, give it time and I am sure you will see a big change in him...Boxers badly want to please and don't like it when you aren't happy..He's also young, keep in mind boxers are pups til the age of 3...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts