Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so most of you know that Kelly and I have found a home...we are scheduled to move in the end of this month...the switch from townhome to home with yard is presenting some concerns(not major...just worth addressing) that we want to look into well in advance...here in the townhome, the dogs have had no option but to go potty out back, which is largely a concrete slab...we have made a habit of taking them to the park every day...but, for basic day to day pooping, etc...that is what they have had...NOW we will have a HUGE backyard for them to play in...it has a patio...and the concern is, we really don't want them pooping on the patio anymore...we would like to start out prepared to proceed the way we want to CONTINUE!  ANY ideas on how to encourage the use of a particular part of the yard for messes AND any ideas of discouraging the use of our patio for potty sessions would be greatly appreciated! :) I've heard something about a pee post? I'll be looking things up in the meantime...but, I value the opinions and experiences of everyone here...so tell me what ya think! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
When we moved to our new place we had a similar situation. Hoosier peed and pooped in a gravel area at the old house and we moved to a place with a backyard.
By the time we moved, he was about 80% potty trained, but we "knew" when he had to go, so for a while I kept him on the leash and use a "go do it" command. I would lead him to same area that I would want him to go in, and when he went potty there, TREATS! He caught on pretty quick and still poops in the far corner of the yard. When he had accidents in the house (pee only), I would take that pee-paper-towel out to the area that I wanted him to do that in.  When he executed, TREATS! It'll take some time with your three pups, but they'll get it. Its like potty training, just moving the spot.

As far as discouraging, just like potty training, only when caught in the act. A good "NO!" should do the trick, then redirection to the correct spot. The most important part was the treat for doing it right...I used chicken breast or tuna treats. It became a game after he put it together and he would go "squirt" a little something in that area just for the treat.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't know, I could be wrong...but dogs usually like to go on something soft rather than concrete.  Occasionally Oggie will go on pavement but he usually prefers the lawn.  Kinda the same thing with why they always seem to go on rugs instead of the bare floor.  They may stick to what they know but I agree with what's been said, use the leash and they should adapt over pretty quick.  A small price to pay, moving from a concrete slab to a yard....they are going to love it

·
Registered
496 Posts
No advise but i will keep checking because i will very soon be in the same place you are now. LOL
Samantha

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think they will rather want to go out in the grass but like sticks said you may have to walk them out to "their new spot" and let them get their scent out there.  I also walked Fiona out on a leash to a certain spot in my yard to do her thing as a pup and now that is where she goes everytime.  It makes poop pick up a breeze because it is all in that area rather then all over.  They will get it.  If they have an accident on the patio then pick it up and go toss it out where you want them to go....They are smart!!!!  They will understand it all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts