Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 yr old female boxer who was diagnosed in February with Cardiomyopothy. Although this is not my first boxer that has had this disease it is my first boxer that I am going thru all of this with the drug therapy. My last boxer was too sick once diagnosed to try the drug therapy. So we are on 3 vitamin supplements as well as 5 human medications as well as a half of an asprin 3 x weekly. She is a real trooper and was doing so well taking all of these meds (at all different times a day) with liversausage, but now has decided that when she smells the liversausage it is pill time and she refuses to take them. So I tried american cheese (hard to get the pills to stick), then the pills rolled up in turkey (this is a new idea which is working for now with the smaller meds, but it is too hard for the larger vitamins to work). I am in desperate need of some new ideas to make this process easier for me and for her.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well this method doesnt involve food, and although she may not like it to much, it works. place the pill very quickly on the very back of her tongue, then hold her snout closed with your hands, it makes her forced to swallow it. this is how my vet recommended me make Harley take her pills one time when the "roll it up in food" trick wasnt working anymore. usually i would rub her throat gently while holding her snout closed to get her to swallow quicker. it never failed and she never really got that mad at me as long as i gave her a treat afterwards

·
Registered
245 Posts
My Xena is also 3 years old. I give her the daily meds in a ball of peanut butter and she has no clue she's taking meds. If were out of peanut butter then we give it to her in a ball of cream cheese. Your fingers might get a little messy but Xena takes it all down without even noticing the meds. Since there are a lot of pills for your baby, I'd recommend multiple little balls...maybe 2-3 pills per ball at most.

·
Registered
378 Posts
At work (i work for a vet cliic) get a pill crusher and crush the pills and mix it into any kind of MEAT baby food.I have yet to see a cat or dog refuse it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree with crushing the pill- works a little easier-we also used this method when i worked at the e-vet. also for my own personal animals i switched to three different methods when having to give meds. i would do what summer did and put at the back of the throat, i would also give in peanut butter, and the last method is cheese! any kind really. i used a slice of kraft cheese stuck the pill in the middle and wadded it up. All three methods worked well for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts