Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now I know i am probably jumping the gun with concern right now, but i cnat help it!! Savannah has only been home for 2 days now, but she has only eatin a tiny bit of food. She will not eat or drink unless i  bring her bowls to her (which only i only did once to show her what and where there where) I bought the same type of food the breeder was giving-i plan on switching but i didnt want to make too many changes upfront. She wont touch it though. She also will not drink any water. We brought her home on Sat afternoon and she has only used the restroom 3 times. She wouldnt go at all on Saturday, she went pee Sunday morning and then poo later that afternoon, then wouldnt go again until this morning (just pee). I know she needs adjustment time, but it worries me. Any advice to those who have rescued/adopted older boxers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I can say that my Puppy I just got did the exact same thing for the first 2 days. Then she finally went to normal. I have read that only leaving the food available for them for 15-30 minutes, at 2 designated times a day will help this. They will become hungry and their window of opportunity will be short, and they will realize this and eat. I tried this, I would pick the food up for the night, and then in the morning she would be hungry.

We did rescue, or adopt an older Boxer, and I recall the transition to be pretty smooth for her. I would just say give her some time, maybee another day or 2 and she should start eating again, not that I am a veternarian though!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I rescued Maddie when she was 16 months old. She didn't eat the first 3 days or so. I think it takes them a while to adjust to their new environment. I would say it's pretty normal. If you are going to make a switch with her food, I would do it now. Why not? Just mix some of her old food with the new. She might even eat better with new food. Hang in there, she'll be settling down in her surroundings any day now. Oh.....we want pictures!!!!  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics on the way!! i know- i know i have said this before!! They would be up by now if i wouldnt have let my little brother borrow my camera. I plan on getting it back today (there was a delay from getting it yesterday!) I bought a small bag of each food. The one she is used to and the one i plan on switching to. i was going to wait until she settled before i switched the food. I guess since she isnt even eating much it wouldnt matter if i did it now or not!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have hardwood floors and when I brought Lola home she wouldn't leave the big rug in the living room for the first day or two.  I had her food bowls near a wall about 12 feet away and she wouldn't walk over there, so started bringing the food right to her on the rug and then slowly backing the food a few feet away from the rug.

Do you moisten the dog food prior to giving it to her?  My breeder told me to moisten the dog food for about 15-20 minutes when I first brought her home - it was like mush after that long.  As the weeks went by I reduced the soak time gradually until she was eating it dry.

Not sure if this will work for you but its what I did with Lola.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily i have carpet except the kitchen so i put her food/water bowl where i knew she would go, savannah is only scared of the kitchen floor. Also she is 2, so she is used to having dry food, but it is a good thought and i appreciate the input!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Neither one of my rescued dogs had any problems like that, nor did Angel..They all ate like there was no food left!!! The only isssue I had was with Samson and the fact that you had to stand right there while he ate for some reason...I'd give it some time, some dogs are just more sensitive to change and need a wee bit longer to adjust.

As for the food change, I would start doing it now also..Just put a small amount of what you are going to be changing her to in with her regular..I mean if she's not eating much anyways, it won't matter....Did you find out if she has any food allergies Andrea? Maybe spice up her food a bit with some yogurt or something... :) I would definitely not allow her to "free feed" tho.. Put her food down at set times and she will figure it out soon enuf.

Boxers are so darn sensitive to things and change doesn't always sit well with them, Samson is the worst in that area, so I'd just show that girl a lot of love and patience and she will be fine really soon....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know she is hungry-i may stop and buy some yogurt to see if i can get her to eat. I have her medical records and there are no food allergies noted, but i will talk to the breeder to double check.  I know she is hungry cause she had a spunky moment yesterday. My daughter left her corndog unattended yesterday for all of 1 minute (she went to grab her drink from the coffee table) and Savannah snatched the corndog and tried to chow down.I told her no and snatched it back and threw it away. she looked guilty, and gave me THAT face.  :lol: i will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, try making her a Kong of peanut butter, yogurt and banana..that might help her, plus give her something to do  :) She's obviously hungry if she's snatching corn dogs..lol, but that's not quite the food you want her to eat, huh?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how do you do this mixture? We have a kong from Chloe, she never liked it. Do you just mix equal parts and then freeze it or what? We never really had a chance to experiment with the kong since we didnt have chloe long.

And no i dont to let me dogs eat from the table (other than what is healthy for them)  so the corn dog is the last thing i want her getting addicted to :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You could just layer the kong with whatever you want to put in there. I usually put the peanut butter at the top and then freeze for a while. Keeps them very busy! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I mix equal parts of yogurt and peanut butter really well, then slice some banana in with it and stuff that Kong....I usually have to help them after awhile by scooping up some of the mixture that was frozen farther down..Even those long tongues couldn't reach it all!!!  :)

I haven't tried the layering, I think I'll have to try that and see how they like that method....Anything to keep them busy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts