Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need some advice. I got my boxer a few days ago, from a farm type setting. He is 3, and beautiful. Well behaved. All day yesterday he was around my kids, 7 and 5, with no problem whatsoever. This morning, he heard them in the living room, apparently didn't recognize who/what they where, and was barking like there was an intruder..,I opened our bedroom door and went out with him into the living room, there where no growls, just barking and him backing up like he was afraid of them, but the whole time his nub was going a mile a minute..he then barked in my sons face, and scared him. after hubby came out to quell the situation he has been fine, except that he is like velcro to my side, and when the kids come near he acts scared and tries to get up on my lap...when the kids just play and ignore him, he is fine. What is all this about????  Any help is appreciated, I need to try to understand this so I know how to fix this...thanks ps, like I said, he does not growl when they come near, just gets really still like he is scared....and climbs up on my lap as if to say "save me mum, there gonna get me!" :?:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It sounds as though he just isn't used to kids. The only advice I can give is to supervise him while around the kids while they are playing and let the dog get used to them. The barking may have been his way of wanting to play with the kids. If his nub was wagging, I don't think he was being aggressive at all, I just think it was his way of playing.
He will get used to them in a few days, just supervise and they should be fine, and I would just instruct the kids not to horseplay with the dog just yet. Soon they will be the best of friends!  :)

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :)  they were just playing in the back yard a bit, he looks a little unsure, but is taking more of an interest in them...he warmed up to my daughter a bit just now, its my younger son he is unsure of...I will be staying home a few days to get him used to us..for some reason he is like velcro to my side, I wonder, are boxers more of a 1 person dog that tolerates the family, or will he become more family oriented?? That sounds like a stupid question, but I've had dogs in the past that just did'nt follow me everywhere, I swear, he even tried to "save" me from the bath tub last night!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think he's just bonded with you and trusts you first and foremost. The others will follow - boxers - or at least mine is quite long to trust new people. Especially if they are a different size from what he's used to seeing :D he doesn't yet know quite what to make of them. Mine used to bark like mad through the fence at the little girl next door because he'd never seen any small children, now he always goes to say hello.
I agree with Tootsie - the barking and tail wagging is play behaviour. Watch out for when they do start to play, boxers aren't aware of their strength and can get a bit carried away.
And he still barks at me if i put a hat on :lol: !

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="cathyw\";p=\"6156":xplubbpu]Thank you :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another thing is that he might be frightened by your children - you may want them to assist you in some basic obedience - the dog will then learn to trust them too.  You can also have them walk with you when you are walking the dog - just make sure that the kids are right next to or in front of him.

Your 7 year old might be able to get the hang of feeding the dog (with your assistance of course) - teach the dog to sit and wait to be fed and then have your children put the food bowl down and to give the release command to allow him to eat.  This will give your dog the association of food with your kids which will help him trust them more.  

Agreed - no rough housing with the dog - probably also best that they not run/scream/wrestle right by the dog either until he gets used to the home.  My Chloe is used to the kids and when my two boys (7 & 11) start wrestling and/or running through the house, Chloe gets a little overexcited and ends up knocking them down and barking at them too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for advice, they seem to be doing ok.  I think I am his human, he is just too funny...a 65 lb dog jumping in my lap so I can save him from any noise is just too funny...he's consumed now with trying to find out where the other dog in the mirror keeps going and why it does the same things he does...hysterical...he's gonna work out just fine I believe... :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
LOL... jessie loves staring at herself in the mirror... or at her reflection on the oven... lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad to hear you think things will work out.  Another thing you can do is with the training....sit, shake,etc.  Have your kids work with him on this and let them hand him the treats.  That may speed the acceptance a little when he realizes they hand out treats.  :)

Also, don't think that when he gets used to the home, that he will stop trying to be a lap dog.  Boxers forget they are not 10 lbs and will constantly try to sit in your lap! :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont mind him in my lap...in fact we had to protect our waterbed with heavy quilts, he loves to jump up on it and lay down after the waves settle...only around 4am he jumps up and I'm not ready, but quickly getting used to the bruises...lol, people ask me if Im ok when I'm out somewhere, I explain, "no, my husband really is a nice man,honest,  I just have a boxer", lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ours loves the waterbed too.  Also the air mattress we use when we have company.  I thought about getting them one of their own for their bed :lol:   Glad you don't mind him being a lap dog.  I have 2 that are around 60 lbs and they both want to sit on your lap at the same time!

·
Registered
977 Posts
lap dog :lol: Here's Voltaire with my husband...

...and i'm quite pleased because i've just worked out how to stick photos in! :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ginsy wants to be a lap dog too.  My DH is VERY firm about no animals on the furniture :roll:   So I have to sit on the floor in front of the sofa so she can get on my lap :lol:

When she is fully house trained I'm going to put her pillow/bed on the floor on MY side of the bed so she can be close to me

·
Registered
491 Posts
In our household, both Gunnar and Ginger are MY dogs!  Don't get me wrong, they love my hubby and daughter but they have bonded very strongly with me.  They're my 2 lap babies!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hector loves staring at himself in the oven door too.  He's forever pulling the tea-towel off the handle so he can get a better angle...  If come in to the kitchen and it's lying on the floor, I know he's been admiring himself again!

Tink is also the ultimate lap-dog and is convinced she's still small enough to sit there comfortably.  She even tries to do the "upright" sit rather than just lying across me.  I don't think I can ever have children now, thanks to misplaced paws on several occasions...  8O

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah does the mirror thing. She will look in a mirror, start to walk off and then peek at the mirror again to see what the "other" dog is doing! Reese just looks at it and cocks her head to the side. i think she likes it when "twin" does exactly what she does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts