Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was walking Kane and a furniture delivery truck slammed it's door behind him.  Kane bolted so hard that he tore his lead from my hands and he ran like he'd been shot out of a canon.  Luckily he didn't run into the street but did run around the block and he did come back home where I found him all four feet bleeding from him shredding his nails down to the quick.  Problem is now he doesn't want to go outside at all and freaks out at every noise he hears.  He stands by the hour looking out the window for the big bad truck or whatever.  When we do go out, I have to drag him out the door and he pulls on the lead trying to get back to the house.  Since we rescued him from an abusive situation a month or so ago, I don't know anything about his background, and was really surprised at this reaction since he's been out many times before, but I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions as to how to deal with this.  Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on the rescue.  He's a beautiful boy.  Thankfully he was able to find his way home safely.  

I have had similar problems with Dixie not wanting to go out for her walks and have never been able to figure out why at times she enjoys her walks and at other times she just refuses to go.  I just give it a break for a couple of days and she gets over it.  

I don't have any sage advice to offer but I'm sure you will get some good feedback from the experts on this site.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The girls dont have a problem with going outside, but they have an issue with EVERYTHING out there :) I am working slowly with having them face the fears with the outside world by forcing them to encounter new things. Not only are my girls scared of the wind and the leave and anything else inthe big scary outdoors they are VERY antisocial and scared of any human that comes near them. Liz has been giving wonderful advice on my girls problems and after almost 3 weeks..maybe 4...not sure my youngest one passed a person on the street last night and actually show interest and not fear. This may not seem like to big a deal, but it was earth shattering change for Reese. The one thing i can say is dont coddle him. Force him outside and then praise and treat when he starts walking. if something scares him then dont baby talk anything. that reinforces the fear. Just talk in a normal voice about the object and act as if it is no big deal, if possible dont even acknowledge the noise or sound. After time it works. best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
To help him deal with the fear:

Take him outside and put him in a sit.  Give him a couple minutes to calm down and when he's calm praise and treat.  Also, talk to him in a normal calm voice (baby talk is okay), but DO NOT DO THE, "O...POOR BABY...IT'LL BE OKAY" (thats coddling and will make it worse).  Just plain ol' chit chat...talking about the item of fear won't really do anything, good or bad, so long as you stay calm.  You can also try singing (lullabies work great).  It's soothing to a dog just as it is a child.

Start the walk (don't give him any choice), but go at his pace (solong as he's moving with you...it's okay)...

When you come upon something that's frightening, put him in a sit and MAKE him stay there.  Don't move him toward it, but make him deal with it.  Stay calm (if your nervous you'll pass that down the leash to him).  When he's calm (no sooner) treat and praise and continue the wakl.  You want to teach him that strange sounds and items that were scary aren't scary anymore and that they have a positive association.

Anymore questions...just hit me up.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.  I've no choice but to make him go out and I do make him, bringing treats and giving him lots of praise for just being outside.  I have even resorted to a training collar (choke chain type), to try to stop his constant pulling (he's stronger than I am).  I think it is just a matter of time.  He is doing a little better, but he still jumps straight in the air and tries to bolt home whenever he hears normal outside automobile noises.  I've just been taking him out and sitting with him on the lawn so he can be with me and feel reassured and watch the cars come and go, but I can tell he is very nervous.  I can't believe one incident can cause such a dramatic change in him.  Thanks again for your suggestions and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I really wouldn't use the choke collar on the poor boy. You risk damage to his windpipe with one. To help deal with his pulling takes work and lots of stops and sits when he starts doing it.  I can highly recommend a harness called the Sensa-tion harness.  It uses gentle pressure, not harsh force. It is only available on line (google it), but I have used it on my own and it can really help a dog learn not to pull without choking him.  I have also used this on several other dogs that are in our training programs.

Nano

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I also recommend that you don't use the metal choke on him.  For two reasons, It can be painful if used inappropriately (as nano said) and if he is agoraphobic the sound of the chain chinky, clinking, and scraping could actually worsen the problem.  Agoraphobic dogs have a tendency to be very sensitive to sound.  Even the relatively quiet sound of a metal collar can be disconcerting to a dog with this condition.

Try a harness or even use a Gentle Leader (I know...I know...but this baby has special circumstance guys...exceptions to the rule...exceptions to the rule.)...

I don't normally recommend a G.L. for training on lead, but in instances such as this, it can be used in that manner (so long as it isn't used as a crutch) because it is pretty gentle (hence the name) and doesn't have the loud/disconcerting noises that a metal collar can have.

Don't shoot me guys!!!  Like I said, I will use what works for the dog and just because I don't care for the G.L. doesn't mean that it won't work if used appropriately and not as a crutch.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the advice.  I thought I'd read the posts before, but I obviously needed to come back here and reread your advice as I forgot the part about making him sit and calm down.  He weighs almost as much as I do and just keeping him from dragging me behind him is a job.  I'm sure he feels my fear of him taking off again and possibly getting hurt.  I will keep trying and let you know.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to keep posting here, but first off I want to thank Liz and Chloesmom for their great advice.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
WOOHOO Kate!!!

I'm so proud of you!!!  Keep up the good work and make sure to share your triumphs (and hardships) with all of us!!!

Give Kane kisses and hugs from Aunite Liz and Lilly!!!

Keep up the good work.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's great news Kate  :)  It really is amazing how much of our own fears and such we transfer to our Babies, huh?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uh huh! thanks for the support and I've been to Liz's website which is great and Mia and Samsonmon are both beautiful!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing much better.  He is so cute!  

Our rescue had issues with loud noises and anyone coming near her with anything long in their hands.  It took time for her to get over it but she eventually got much better and after a few years she was right out there not afraid of anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts