Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 male boxers, 1 is about 4 years old and neutered, the other is 1 and a half and not neuterd. The 1st one is the dominate male. Recently we got a female boxer puppy. The younger male is showing ownership of the puppy and will not let the elder male next to her. They had a serious fight for the first time ever last night about it. What can i do to prevent such a thing from happening again? I have to keep them seperated cause all they do is Growl at each other. Please help

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Boy, it is tough to introduce dogs to each other.  I would let them have time one on one with the puppy keeping the other male separate. I would also keep the puppy separate from the boys, unless you are letting them get to know her one on one.

Is the other dog not nuetered for a reason?  This could be a big part of your problem.

You will need to establish that you are in control of this situation. One thing I use to break up a fight is a squirt bottle of water.  You just need to go slow here and sure that they are knowing that you are in charge of this new situation.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hear, hear Nano...I think the one on one thing is a good start, but obviously you want to be able to get to the point that all 3 can be together...You need to keep yourself calm so the dogs don't pick up on your anxiety, which I realize is not easy to do, but by staying calm and showing that you are in control, not the dogs it helps to establish a pecking order...

Very possible as your younger male is not neutered is a lot of the problem. I gather that prior to bringing the female in to the house, they really didn't have any issues? As he is un-neutered, he is saying that the female pup belongs to him..It's a hormone thing...I also have to ask, why he isn't neutered too....

Take things very slowly, keep a very close eye on them, and hopefully this will work out.. How long has the pup been home by the way? Keep us posted on how everything works, ok?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Was I out of line here?  I meant that it is not just bring the dog home and everyone lives in harmony immediately. It is not necessarily easy to bring home another dog and they just work it out.  In the wild dogs do not just stop over at the other packs territory for coffee and donuts.  Yes, man has domesticated the dog and expects that he do just as man wants but he is hard wired to be a dog in the first place.  Hopefully all will work out here.  I would think that one on one time together with the original two dogs will help one establish a "pack" order and things will iron out.  The time for bringing all three together will probably eventually happen given the necessary guidance from their trusted "leader".  

I had two females and a male once.  They got along well for 6 years together.  One of the females was the daughter of the other.  They started fighting over peoples attention.  We had to rethink things, used the water sprayer once when I just happen to be using it and I caught them fighting. I had to re-establish my leadership role with them and let them know my dissatisfaction with the current situation thru very stern reprimands with voice.  It is not always easy to get dogs together.

Good luck,

Nano

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I dont feel that you were out of line. Obviously when the two males are used to each other and a new pup is thrown into the mix then things will not be perfect at first. There will be that adjustment period. I to also wonder though why the second male would not be neutered. Do you plan on neutering him or atleast spaying the female pup?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The advice you gave Nano was very sound, no problem to me..It's always hard when introducing a new dog into the house and every situation is different...I think one of the keys is to know your dogs well..How they react to different situations...What works for one, doesn't always work for another...That's why we have places like this to hopefully find some answers... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts