Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

need your input please….

7K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Serena 
#1 ·
i spoke with a breeder who is considered to be reputable. she has a pup about 4 months old. about 5 puppies from that litter died due to e coli issues. this puppy might have been the only one who made it (not 100% sure about that bc i forgot to ask that)…she said he was slow in the beginning due to the treatments and the e coli issue but ensured he is 100% better and is all clear of any issue. she said she wouldn't sell the puppy if she didn't feel he was healthy. i really do trust her word. she was honest and spoke as if she had nothing to hide.

my question is, should this be a red flag and should i not pursue purchasing this pup? i am not familiar with an e coli issue especially in dogs.

also, he is a white boxer with some fawn markings (sooooo cute!!). friends of mine were saying that i should not pay a lot bc of its color. is this true or just an old myth? the breeder is charging $1500. all tests, shots, deworming, micro chip, etc were done. i am also assuming this dog is trained since its about 4 months old?

any advice/tips on this issue is greatly appreciated!! i still need to fill out her application to even be considered to purchase but i want to make sure i have my worries clear before i make the next move!

thanks in advance!

See less See more
#35 ·
Yes! If I had asked any questions I would have saved my self a lot of heartache!:cry2:

First puppy Heidi (Brindle)(2 weeks ) of vet visits $$$ and heartbreak lasted two weeks and died in my arms. I did the vet check (Parvo) after I got my Heidi, and then what are you gonna do?...hey take this POS dog back???

Struddel l(Avatar) I did better (She made it 10 years.) No Parvo I asked about that! But I didn't know about health checks on the parents! Ultimately bad hips..(11/25/2013) RIP:cry:.

She was a clone of her mom! (That was a "HUGE" red flag), you don't breed Whites,So I could have asked... [B"]My potential puppy has a Flashy dad and mom is White is that important?"[/B] Answer would have been :You don't breed to white!

So as soon as I saw mom I should have walked away! But I didn't and Struddell climbed into my lap and just stayed there! Game over!

That's why I advised against "seeing" the puppy!:)

So yes, I was applauding you!:clap:
Take Care

#37 ·
This is a red flag to me. There are other reputable breeders out there and extremely knowledgeable members on this site plus a lot of valuable information on how to pick a breeder. There are a lot of 'stickys' on the breeder page.

Knowing what I know now about all of the health issues with boxers, I probably would have not chosen the breeder that I ultimately went with because they don't do all the appropriate health testing. That is why research is so important. That being said, my Serena has a wonderful temperament which matches that of her sire and dam. Knock wood, she is healthy. Other offspring from her parents (from her litter, and other pairings) are healthy as well (I've checked) and the breeder reaches out periodically to say hello.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.