Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK before you all think I'm nutso let me start by saying I've never had any qualms about spay/neuter for our babies, it's just what needs to be done and I'm ok with it. Also let me add I'm NOT a panicky person about much of anything. That being said.....Blitzen goes for her spay on Thurs and I'm literally having sweaty palms, palpitaions and lay awake at night worrying 8O Can't explain why except she's just sooo tiny still and sooo attached to us and Donner. She's ok if we're with her and Donners out or if we're out and he's with her but without any of us I don't know. I've even gone so far as to think about asking the vet if Donner can go and just hang out with her before the surgery ( whacko, I know) Thank Goodness she can come home the same day or I'd probably offer to stay overnight there with her myself!! I've talked to the vet about ACE until she's probably ready to give ME a sedative!! I  plan on sending her blanket and one of our shirts with her for comfort but is there anything else I should do??? Other than take a deep breath, suck it up, get a grip or just have a loooong drink Wednesday night so I don't freak and cancel the appt!!!!!!! Sorry this is so long, but I'm sure you guys "get it" I'm a REALLY nervous mom.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can totally relate with you, I was quite nervous myself and loosing sleep over it, but I can tell you that's it's not that bad and the get over it very quickly....Gaby was done on friday and came home the same day, she didn't eat or drink the first night, but today she's back to her normal bouncy self eating and drinking like normal....It's becoming quite the challange keeping her calm :lol: ...I'm trying to keep her in her crate as much as possible for the first few days so she can heal up properly.....At first I to was thinking of cancelling the app because I was just to nervous, but I'm glad I didn't and now she's well on her way to making a full recovery....I'm sure Blitzen will do great!, just hang in there...Gaby sends boxer wiggles and kisses to you both :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think you are crazy, just a loving mom. I always send a blanket or something with my animals when they get spayed/neutered, and they've always done very well. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lori, we can be each other's suport group on Thurs, that's when Flick goes in for his crop and I will be a wreck, especially as he will be staying over nite...I know we worry excessively, but we wouldn't be good Mom's & Dad's if we didn't right? Blitz will be fine, I don't know if it would be good for Donner to go tho, might actually be more stressful...Sending her blankie wouldn't hurt tho :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
awwww i think you are a great mom thats all..she will be fine..i think her blankey and a shirt of yours is a great idea.. >:D<

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She will be fine; I think a blankie and shirt are a great idea.  Willow, I am sure that Flick will be fine too but I can understand both of you being nervous.  I am lucky since both of mine went through their surgery and I didn't even know or I would have been just like both of you.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
When I took Hanna in they told me they had to keep her overnight - I cried all the way to work.  Could not sleep that night and cried looking at her bed.    I hate leaving my babies in a place that they have no clue where they are going.  Heck, I do take many vacations because I will not board them.  So totally can relate.  Everything will be ok, and its normal to be freaked out.   Good idea to pack some of her fav stuff, and soon as you know it - it will over in a flash.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Oh, you're not crazy, just a concerned mommy. I called 3 times the day of Max's neuter to check on him. I didn't know he was the last one of eight to be done that day!

We just can't help ourselves from worrying.

Healing, protective energy to both Blitz & Flick on Thursday. And hugs for the mommies!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not crazy at ALL!!!!
WOW this must be take your pet to be fixed week..I think your the 5th person alone this week to have this done, so we can all relate.
Ashley came home the same night..was cranky, and groggy, but even the vet said she came out of the anesthesia great, and Boxers in general tolerate surgery better than alot of breeds...so be strong..she will be just fine..My girl..sheesh..I WISH I had a sedative...she was herself the next day also..mischief and all.
I sent her sleepy blankey with her , and the Vet told me this is a good idea, as SOMETHING smells like home to her as she awakens.
Willow..I feel your pain girl..you KNOW I understand whats about to occur, Is tough to be without your baby overnight, but Rhonda will help little Flick I am sure, and really besides the Valium incident..I just kept her pain meds on schedule..and help her to keep her down as much as I could..I will say..by day 3..she ( besides looking like a horned bull..lol ) was

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
As everyone else has said, being nervous is totally normal Lori. And you are not whacko! I will be the same way the day Sadie gets spayed. I think the blanket is a good idea, I'm sure she'll be fine! It will all be over before you know it. Big hugs and kisses from Sadie and me.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I can't begin to tell you how much better you ALL make me feel :D I only work 1/2 days Thurs & Fri, then the weekend and Memorial Day and Kelly is taking vacation the following Tues & Wed so someone will be with her all the time for the next 10 days or so. (We're just a LITTLE overprotective  :wink: )
Having all of your support is wonderful, soooo good to have a  place to go with other boxer lovers who "get it" my family and friends think I'm nuts over these two. ok, they're right!!!!! Hahaha but at least here I'm not alone!!
Rene, so glad Gaby is well and back to her bouncy self that was music to my ears!! Any tips on keeping these girls quiet during recovery???
Willow, sending all positive thoughts for Flicks crop on Thurs. Works out pretty good, when I get tired of worrying about Blitz, I'll worry about Flick for a change of pace!!!!! I'm in for the support group idea  :wink:  
Heather, I don't have to drop her off Thank Goodness or I'd be a wreck too, but I bet Kelly gets a "little misty" leaving his girl!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i dont know much about this sorry but i would like to say blitz will be in my thoughts and im here for support as well. She will do fine and she is probably a lot less stressed before during and after than you are right now :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Donya\";p=\"125720 said:
i dont know much about this sorry but i would like to say blitz will be in my thoughts and im here for support as well. She will do fine and she is probably a lot less stressed before during and after than you are right now :)
:rofl: So true, she hasn't a care in the world!! Ty for the support :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
For you people having surgery this week I checked the moon signs and they are good all week for you!  I have used them on my last two elective surgeries and had no swelling, pain or anything!  the hardest thing was keeping them quiet.  We used to use the moon signs years ago on our horses and I had forgotten about them until 3 years ago and then used them on Mateo and Talia's neuter/spay's and had fantastice luck.  Prior to using them my dogs had a huge amount of swelling for a couple of weeks post surgery.  The signs are with you!  We'll still be thinking of you though.

Nano

1 - 14 of 14 Posts