Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 5 month old boxer neutered last Friday. It was a cryptorchid surgery and vet says he found testicle under kidney. Since picking him up Friday afternoon, he’s had so many complications. Not eating or drinking, lethargic, blood and clots in pee, suture oozing, peeing every few minutes. The puppy was pretty much trained and out of crate. I have bloody pee all over house and have washed my bedding (he sleeps with me at night) 5 times since Friday. It’s literally a nightmare. When he wakes up he immediately pees. When I take him out he walks around yard squatting for 10 minutes with nothing coming out. Classic UTI symptoms.

He returned to vet yesterday, and vet says he has suture infection. His urine sample came back elevated red blood cells but normal white. He was given antibiotic shot yesterday. Seems to be eating and have energy back but still frequent urination. Literally all over my house. What do I do?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Well first stay in contact with your vet, Neutering a cryptorchid is a complicated surgery. I would not have him walking around the house, he should be pretty much crate bound for at least 10 days maybe longer for him since his surgery was major. A normal neuter they have to stay calm and quiet for 10 days. After neutering a dog should not be allowed to jump or run. Sorry that happened I'd be a wreck and probably on the phone with my vet a lot!. Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just had my 5 month old boxer neutered last Friday. It was a cryptorchid surgery and vet says he found testicle under kidney. Since picking him up Friday afternoon, he’s had so many complications. Not eating or drinking, lethargic, blood and clots in pee, suture oozing, peeing every few minutes. The puppy was pretty much trained and out of crate. I have bloody pee all over house and have washed my bedding (he sleeps with me at night) 5 times since Friday. It’s literally a nightmare. When he wakes up he immediately pees. When I take him out he walks around yard squatting for 10 minutes with nothing coming out. Classic UTI symptoms.

He returned to vet yesterday, and vet says he has suture infection. His urine sample came back elevated red blood cells but normal white. He was given antibiotic shot yesterday. Seems to be eating and have energy back but still frequent urination. Literally all over my house. What do I do?

I know it has been a few days since this post. Work has been crazy and I haven't been on in a while.

I'm curious how things are going if you can share.

We had our puppy neutered last November, a day or two before Thanksgiving so I'd have more time to spend with him. He was also cryptorchid. He was almost 8 months at the time.

The surgery seemed to go well. Our boys sleep with us too. Due to the surgery I stayed in the living room with him to keep him inactive and to watch him closer.
He was OK for the first couple of days, he had a little oozing, but not much.
Then Friday night he started getting a 'sack' in his abdomen near the sutures. At first I thought I was crazy, but I took pictures and measured it w/ how much it hung down and fit into the palm of my hand. It helps to have two other male boxers to compare bodies too as well. Saturday morning he had a little fever, and the area near the suture looked yellowish/***** to me. We took him in to the vet when they opened.

Earlier Saturday morning I had called an emergency vet because I was scared about this and he had started oozing more mostly clear/pinkish fluid. They said this was totally normal. We put different things on him to help catch the fluid so it didn't drip all over the blankets we had on the floor, and kept him in the living room.

Throughout the day we had to change him a few times, but the majority of the stuff drained out in about 24 hours and it was more spotting after this.

The vet also had us put neosporen around the suture area on his abdomen and the leg. The surgery area looked good, but the new wound was nasty.

To shorten my story, he ended up w/ an infection from something in the yard they said- possibly a leaf he came into contact with.... It seemed odd, but we sent off a swab to make sure the antibiotics they put him on were the right ones, and based on the results this is what the infection was from. The suture area allowed the stuff to get inside.

He never had any issues peeing, or abnormal pee. He was a handful for a few days - partially from the extra complications and him being a puppy and thinking he was fine to play after a couple of days, partially because I was a helicopter boxer Momma. I was terrified he was not going to make it before we knew what was going on.

I hope things are better for you both by now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hopefully this is not too graphic.

Here's a picture of him when it first started to seep out, and on the right you can see about a handful of fur/skin hanging, this was full of surgery drainage.

The healing photo was after we had the antibiotics and the area was starting to close up. We tried several things to keep him covered without something rubbing on the area and allowing some air to heal; we tried a t-shirt, kids underwear, boxers w/ a strap higher up around the abdomen, and then this worked the best -

The keeping him covered photo- adult boxers with a reusable dog diaper over it to help hold it in place. It was still a challenge to keep this on him when we slept and during the day, but of all we tried, this worked best.

We also went through 2-3 of the blow-up neck restraints so he could not lick himself. We also had to keep the other two boys from 'helping him out' so the boxers /diaper worked for this too.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts