Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Maxx got neutered last week Thursday and had a lumpectomy. Because he has stitches in his head, he’s unable to play with our other boxer (they are too rough and we can’t have the stitches come undone).

Maxx’s personality has done a 180. He’s 11.5 months old. He had normal boxer energy but was manageable. Now he’s completely out of control. He will bark nonstop, growls, nips (super hard), has become destructive and doesn’t listen.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m not sure if it’s due to the frustration of being unable to play with our other boxer. They’re used to running around all day so he’s definitely not getting the exercise he’s used to.

We’ve been doing walks multiple times a say and trying to stimulate him with brain games and training but I’m worried neutering him may have changed him for the worse?

I forgot to mention that we had him on Trazodone to take the edge off (per the vet) but stopped the medication 48 hours ago. It did nothing to calm him down.

I would love to hear other people’s experiences or advice.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I d on'/t think the neutering has to do with it. Perhaps he is in pain? Probably another week of restricted activity and he should be good to play again. Maybe the trazodone was helping more than you realize. I've also used it in the past and it really doesn't calm the dog it helps them have less anxiety. I'd likely put him back on it and see if it makes a difference. Just my opinion though I'm certainly no expert.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think your dog is mainly frustrated not being able to get his energy out I think he will be back to his old self once he is cleared and off restriction. It takes several months for topterone to cycle out of the body once the testes are removed so I am sure this was not his neuter. He may have some pain or discomfort going on too. Good luck just stick with him this too shall pass!

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I will post as a newbie dog parent and the advice I got because I was in a very similar situation, not exact as my dog had aggression usually outside when we go for walks. It was to the point, I didn’t even want to take my dog for walks anymore. I came to boxer forums and got some really great advice from people. Like seriously life changing. The two things that helped me the most was some training videos Chip shared about following and leading and just getting your dog to pay attention to you. The other part was training your dog to be calm. You have to work at it all the time. I think for my hubby and I, we got complacent in our training regimen and thought we had a good dog, so we stopped doing it as much. Once we started working on those, my dog got much better. He’s still a puppy and still has selective hearing, but this community was a life saver for me.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cococovid 19, first thanks for the props! And you should update your thread and let us know how it's going! :)

And back on point, Daisy2theMax, do you have two dog's or three? I think I saw something about a "Female Chi and some past "issues?"

And back to the topic at hand. We know "Boxers," tend to play ... "hard." And having a head stiches on there housemate? Makes it a lot worst ... I would imagine? It's kinda like left Jabs and Right heads to the "Face," is kinda how they roll, cuz "Boxers." So if one of a pair has stiches in the head? Yeah that is gonna be an "issue?"

But the solution to your current issue's, will take some work and effort. And you don't have the one work to work on you have "Two," at least? You can't just train the "One to Chill," and not the other? That would be silly?

And the "Neutering," as the cause of his current behavior is not likely? People then to think ... "neutering," fixes "behavioral issues," usually aggression. And it does not, by accident I "Proofed," that one with my GSD. And the "Stiches," I got my hand in my hand breaking up a "Pack Fight," (No Boxer Involvement) say .... yeah "NO."

And if there is no reason to believe a dog being "Fixed," can solve and issue? There is no reason to believe a dog being fixed can "cause," an issue? There is no reason to believe a "Dog," being fixed can "cause," an issue?

Pro's that can solve "Dog," issues, don't work like? And they also don't charge well, thousands of dollars and pump your dog full of drug's .... for a few week's and give him back and say .... here you go ... "He's Fixed."

It takes "work," and effort on your part ... to make changes in your dog's behavior. It's not hard but it does work and effort. And the big part is you have to know what to do? I got more if you like. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts