Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Emmett will be nine months old mid June. I scheduled his neuter for about that time. He is tall and lanky. His weight is only about 53 pound.

He is getting sassy. So I scheduled because I have some vacation time. I have attached a few photos.

I am second guessing the timing. His vet wanted to wait until he was 8 or 9 months old. Some say I should wait until he is 18 months. He is just constantly testing the boundaries. He knows what is right. He just wants to do things on his terms. I thought now was time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emmett is looking good, our guy didn't start filling out until his 2nd year, though after he t urned one he put on about 10 more lbs.

My last boxer was 67 pounds. He was short and stocky. Emmett is my lanky guy.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Emmett is a baby who won't fill out fully prior to 2 yrs old. The reason he is constantly testing you is because he has reached the dreaded teenage stage. This can last until he is about 18 months, we all go through it....just be consistent and patient. Wine will be your best friend :cheers:

I would not neuter him prior to 18 months if he was mine. The only way I would neuter earlier is if I saw unwanted behavioural issues such as marking in my home, posturing to other dogs or any type of aggression/dominance.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Gonna chime in on 18 months at the minimum also. You don't want a fat Boxer ... but 67 is kinda on the low side for a male Boxer. I think most males are in the 70 to 75 range?? My baby girl was a 65 lber and I think that took three years or so??? And she was freaking tiny next to the males I knew. I would wait behavioural issues are more than likely about training not hormones ... how is he on leash???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone
Thank you for all of the advice. Unfortunately, Emmett has been displaying some fairly negative behavior. He has started growling and lunging at me when he doesn't get his way. Sometimes he even snaps. I use NILF and I am consistent. He is just determine. I also found evidence of marking in the house

No worries on the overweight boxer. I am very particular about keeping my pets at their ideal weight. I know that Emmett is on the smaller side. His mom was smaller and lanky. I am just hoping he reaches 60 pounds and is healthy. :down:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would hold off on neuter and spend some time with a good trainer.
It will be a TON more valuable.
I have a 1 yr old and have no plan to neuter at this time.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hello everyone
Thank you for all of the advice. Unfortunately, Emmett has been displaying some fairly negative behavior. He has started growling and lunging at me when he doesn't get his way. Sometimes he even snaps. I use NILF and I am consistent. He is just determine. I also found evidence of marking in the house

No worries on the overweight boxer. I am very particular about keeping my pets at their ideal weight. I know that Emmett is on the smaller side. His mom was smaller and lanky. I am just hoping he reaches 60 pounds and is healthy. :down:
Aww sorry...Kai has never even listed his leg...I never allowed him to sniff on our walks I wonder if that has something to do with it? When he goes pee he just stands there and goes till he is finished. LOL Not so good only lawn but it works and when he is done he is done. As BTE said you may want to find a good trainer to help you some, but the final decision is always yours. Keep in mind he is young and is going thru his teenage period which can be more demanding on you for continued training.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Can I ask why everyone recommends 18 months for a neutering? I've never heard of such a thing.
From some of the reading I have done on it, Boxer growth plates are usually closed at 18 months. So their bone structure is basically considered mature. Some of the studies have shown benefits of waiting till that 18-24 month mark also reduce some common ailments in Boxers like hip issues, thyroid, etc. It doesn't mean a Boxer won't get those issues, but there is a decrease in these incidents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all are awesome. All of the literature on neuter spay is so confusing. There is info for both ways. Emmett has a wonky dew claw and a baby tooth still in. We are meeting the vet on Wed. Dependent on how long the other two issues can go without surgery - we will go forward with the neuter - chip to only put him out once

I realize that he is just being an adolescent and I am all for training.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Aw well ... what's done is done or will be soon. But neutering to fix behavioral issues?? Call me ... skeptical. :)

I have personnel first hand experience with that having "Zero" effect on my dogs "issues." A foster fail and he was already fixed when I took position of him ... to find him a home. Course my problem child was my first Over Size Working Line GSD ... maybe the neutering thing works better with Boxers???

I'm gonna guest ... that if he is "marking" in the home ... he is allowed to free roam in the home??? Indoors he should be in his Crate (assuming you use one ... if you don't you need to) or in Place, outside is to play ... indoors is to chill.

If he is growling and nipping at you ... when he does not get his way?? That's kinda hard to say without seeing it but it sounds ... not untypical to me??? Rotties for one are very vocal dogs and they scare the crap out of new owners ... all the time. But I don't know here???

And you can say "No, No all day ... it means nothing without consequences! The nipping is a 3 second fix if you provide consequences for the dog making poor choices. A Pet Convincer or a Bonker either option correctly applied will stop that crap now!

Pet Convincer.com

It's just a bicycle air pump and about half that price at your local bike shop. And the Bonker.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/182569-stopping-unwanted-behavior-bonkers.html

I'd keep those links handy ... just in case the neuter thing does not work out so well??? Got more not hard ... I don't think but you know lots of effort and changes required in how you live with the dog. It certainly would not hurt to get an eval done by a Pro.

And sigh ... I'd not waste time with a "gentle paws" trainer ... I'd look for a "Balanced Trainer" and more that likely that will be a trainer that deals with dogs with "Aggression Issues" not saying he is but that is what you seem to think??

And sigh ... more than likely an effective balanced trainer is gonna be the local K9 GSD guy ... it's just the way it is.

Aww well don't want to beat a dead horse ... to much ... hope all goes well in any case. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chip. He is crated when he is home alone. I am not sure which way we will go. There are several competing factors. I may just let them put him under twice

My last guy had been through so much. Three different cancers, injury to his shoulder and surgery, chemotherapy, then damage to his kidneys, ear hematoma, Lyme positive - I am protective especially with going under. I may just go for the dew claw and the tooth. Thanks for the links and the trainer.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hi Chip. He is crated when he is home alone. I am not sure which way we will go. There are several competing factors. I may just let them put him under twice

My last guy had been through so much. Three different cancers, injury to his shoulder and surgery, chemotherapy, then damage to his kidneys, ear hematoma, Lyme positive - I am protective especially with going under. I may just go for the dew claw and the tooth. Thanks for the links and the trainer.

OH ... I'm so sorry, another term ... I use at times for Boxers aside from the standard "Clown Prince of the Dog World" is the "Heartbreak Breed." :(

I've had my share ...

But that was not a trainer recommendation per say it was a broad general guide of the type of trainer to look for. You'd have to do some more research find a guy. do an E-val ... talk to some of there clients and see there dogs! Most trainers these days use E-Collars ... "Lou Castle" this guy ... :
Home

Lou used to say the fastest and most humane way to train your dog is with the "Proper" use of an E-Collar. He was my PM buddy on GSDForum ... sigh ... he got Banned. He had a pretty low threshold for tools.

There is nothing wrong with E-Collar training when used properly but if a dog gets "hammered" with an E-Collar ... you can tell. I worked with a Client of mines dog ... I'm a PCA. And the clients ... had no clue how well trained there dogs was! I off course did and after a week or so ... we were walking off leash! I did not train that ... I just took advantage of it! But long story short, ... one day on our walk Val (a Westie was off leash) we got charged by a loose dog! Oh crap ... not on my watch dog, but I did what I do with my dogs! I shouted "STAY!" And I stepped in front of Val! I had no idea if he would stay?? But it's a reflex for me! I rounded up the stray got him back into the yard ... and Val never moved until I said Val come! :)

Val also luv'd people ... but ... something was just off with him??? The sparkle that Struddell had was just not there??? He gave me the impression that he was always waiting for a hammer to drop??? Afraid to make a mistake??? It was like he had a hard time being happy?? An E-collar used properly ... would not do that. Just a heads up! But hey if you go with a GSD Trainer and he's got some people friendly clients, WL GSD's for you to see ... LOL your good to go!

Ah well I can go on and on ... but I'll stay focused ... if your willing to step back ( and I get not wanting to put him under twice) but ... to just have him fixed "Now" for something that may or may not make a difference is not really the way to go ... in my opinion.

And no it's a given that we can not see the dog??? But from what you describe, to me the dog's just being an A-Hole! The Rottie I mentioned ... was our former Dobbie owning friends and they switched breeds to a Rottie. The dog was still a puppy don't remember how old 6 to 7 months maybe and they called us in a panic and said "everything we say the dog grumbles and grouses ... talks back!

We spent 12 years with our friends two Rotties and they were always grumbling about something ... it's just what they do we told them apparently Dobbies don't do that! The dog was fine! :)

But if your willing to give it more thought/time ... there are things you can do??? You have resources here bte2 for one, he is a trainer. I think they are in Tennessee?? If your anywhere near them they maybe they can help or send them a PM. They also may know, someone local to you.

And I see I did send you the link for Place and Sit on the Dog?? Have you started doing those??? And he is Crate Trained! That's good but if he spends all day in the Crate then yes in the evening he should be out. But ... in Place indoors only for at least two weeks and maybe a month??

If you don't give him the opportunity to "mark indoors" the behavior may"self extinguish" if it does not ... then your gonna have to correct him!

I can't find the link saddly ... I should have did a thread! But in essence you'd let the dog free roam and keep an eye on him! If he starts to mark ... you would use a throw chain and throw it at him hit him in the butt! And you don't say a word! Self correction for the dog, if I do that ... something bad happens??? Maybe four times or so and it should be problem solved. Or a "Bonker" but this time in the form of a pair of socks! And aim for the shoulders or head! Same deal ... don't say a word but if he sees you throw it ... then it's a game and your aim sucks!!!!

It can be done b ut yeah lots of work bte2 is a pro and I'm a diy your dog your self kinda guy. I help those that can diy there dogs, try to anyway.

I lost a lot of stuff when my laptop crashed. Otherwise there would be more links given. But yeah lot of work that's why bte2 says hire a trainer. :)

But at the bare minimum do an Eval ... usually an Eval is free. As I say I don't think your dog is dangerous but eyes on the dog would be best. And once you find out he is just being a tool ... you may reevaluate your options on how to deal with him??

But since I can't let it go ... "Place, Sit on the Dog" and daily one on one structured walks, that would be like this.:

Prong Collar is not strictly speaking necessary but ... can you walk the dog?

And more on the walk is here as it happens ... :

Well ... got more but better stop. I'm getting kinda scattered in my thought process. But you need to take a deep breath and regroup. A lot of us have to take the first step regroup with a plan and then move forward ... nothing new there. :)

On page three, we start talking about the walk here.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/200394-euro-german-american-boxer-3.html#post1949122

It's the little stuff that makes a difference. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chip. Wow Thank you so much for all the info. I am in WI. I will check out a few trainers.
Emmett goes to daycare three days a week.

I am home every other Friday and hubby works from home when he isn't traveling

Now to the good stuff. He is great on leash except for a few flying moments when we go out for business. Lunging and jumping on me. He has managed to rip a few shirts when I turn my back on him. He knows to wait for cars. He actually does a down stay when we stop.

I have a harness. On the front clip he is pretty good walking. We do two miles three times a week on weekends. We wale about 20 to 25 minutes the other days and always twice on Thursday. He is even paying attention to leave it when he grabs sticks leaves and grass. He really has a thing for plant life. Not so good much is poisonous.

The behavior that is upsetting is the lashing out when he doesn't get his way. Most of the time that stems from counter surfing or stealing laundry and shoes. He will often drop it and leave it when he is told. Other times he gets mad - human projection here growls raises the hackles and nips if i correct him. When one the phone he will nip at my backside and get upset when I turn away. Jealous here and wants attention

Most of the time Emmett is a sweet guy and a typical goofy boxer.

There are a few trainers here I will set up some visits

·
Registered
163 Posts
Chip. Wow Thank you so much for all the info.

The behavior that is upsetting is the lashing out when he doesn't get his way. Most of the time that stems from counter surfing or stealing laundry and shoes. He will often drop it and leave it when he is told. Other times he gets mad - human projection here growls raises the hackles and nips if i correct him. When one the phone he will nip at my backside and get upset when I turn away. Jealous here and wants attention

Oh how you speak my language. Talos doesn't raise his hackles etc.. But if he wants mom to come play and I'm not doing what he wants he bites at me, headbutts me or tries to box me. As soon as he starts to do any of these things we put him in time out. We've gated off an area that he goes to. No toys, No food, etc. It's just a cool down spot. Our trainer had suggested this. We put him in time out and he stays until he is "calm"

It seems to be pretty effective. Once he settles I go to the gate pet him and tell him I love him and let him out. Then he usually lays down or plays on his own.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I usually use the place command for his time out and for putting on his harness. But yes he has to become calm. And then I give positive attention. P

1 - 20 of 37 Posts