Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, i recently adopted/took in a 3 year old male, who is still intake. I was wondering if neutering him at his age would be a major ajustment for him, and if he would become destructive out of spite? Anyone have any suggestions or has anyone been in this situation before?   :?:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice form a pro dog trainer:

Dogs aren't spiteful.  He would adjust fine.  Dogs live in the now not the two days ago.

I really think you should talk to a vet about getting him speutered.  He isn't older, as in geriatric, but he is an adult, so I think speutering him would be fine and also help him live longer and be more healthy in the long run.  

You could also ask sharonl.  She's a vet and would be able to answer any of the health related questions about this far better than me.  Rolling on my gut tho...he'll be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! Another thing---the boxer KANE has not yet met my maltese, Bailey. Bailey is 2.5 years old and has been around other dogs and loves them. However i am hoping he will adjust to the new guy. the story behind Kane is that my groomers neice originally owned the dog since he was a puppy, they had children and the dog had to go. so when he was 1.5 he moved in with another couple. the wife recently passed with cancer and the husband no longer wants kane. so that is how i came in the original owners took the dog back, as they know it would be ok living with them for a while. I met him with my husband and he was calm yet happy with attention. he is currently living with another boxer, a st bernard, a chichuuaa, and 2 cats. he seemed to do fine and the lady told me she has not seen any problems with him and the other dogs thus far. i guess i am just worried that my little one can get hurt by him, but again his demeanor was graet he would come to you when called let you pet him than go and lay down, with the others dogs all around.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have two cats, on is a kitten (the runt of the litter so shes is small).  Duke plays with both of them, he is 64lbs now :) he can pull me off the couch when we are playing.  He has never hurt either of them, a few times I've had to tell him to be gentle but he seems to know and plays softer with them then when he is playing with my lab mix.  I imagine he would be ok with your Maltese.  I take Duke to my parents every once and a while and she breeds poms and he plays with them to and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah plays with small dogs all the time and never hurts them.  I have noticed that the only dogs she plays rough with are other boxers; then she will box with them or play as rough as they want to.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it in the least.  If he is currently being fostered with other small dogs and a cat and they haven't seen any trouble and everyone gets along okay then I wouldn't worry.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona only gets to play with smaller dogs.  A weenie dog, a yorkie and a westie and she plays sweet with all of them..She gives our cat heck but she is not mean.  On the other issue.  I dont know of any problems with him being 3 with the exception of knowing his general health....heartworm status, have his heart and lungs checked to make sure there are no issues prior.  The actual procedure.  He wont be mad when it is all said and done :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson was 6 when he was neutered and he did just fine, so there shouldn't be any issues as long as he is healthy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts