Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Cato on a health plan at Banfield, and he has to be neutered before he reaches 6 months. He is 4 and 1/2 month old right now, and that means it needs to get done in a month. I am very nervous about it. Are there any risks with doing it when he is still young? Anything I should worry about?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i had sumya spayed right when she turned 4months.no problems whatsoever,just a little swollen belly but i made her take it easy for one whole day and she was fine after that.i can't even see her spay scar anymore.i think cato will be fine.i know it is kind of a scary thing,but it will be over and he will be good as new before you know it! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My sister took their Golden in at 5 mos and had no problems

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Not much difference between getting it done at 5 1/2 months and 6 months.  As long as the testicles have descended, it should be fine.   I have always been weary of surgery on a very young pup unless it was absolutely mandatory but even then theres no real concrete proof (that I have found) that is more risky.  I also have not found any benefits to waiting either, although some people claim things such as better muscle/bone development.  I'm not convinced myself

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just went through the same thing with Tessie. She was fixed last week at 6months exactly. Banfield will allow you to wait until the last day of just make sure you check with them to see when the cut off date is that they have for you. Tessie was down for 1 day and now you can't even tell that she had anything done.

Question for all... What is everyones take on letting her use the doggie door 5 days after being spayed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
TessiesMommy\";p=\"81529 said:
I just went through the same thing with Tessie. She was fixed last week at 6months exactly. Banfield will allow you to wait until the last day of just make sure you check with them to see when the cut off date is that they have for you. Tessie was down for 1 day and now you can't even tell that she had anything done.
Good one :p

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I also have not found any benefits to waiting either, although some people claim things such as better muscle/bone development.
There is research showing increased risk factors associated with spay/neuter at a young age (<5.5 months, generally) for things such as osteosarcoma (that one is <1 year), urinary tract infections (females), and hip dysplasia.  (On the flip side, there is a decreased risk of mammary tumors if spay occurs before 2.5 years of age.)  

Other risk factors seem not to be associated with age at surgery.  (This applies to both increased risk, for things such as hemangiosarcoma, hypothyroidism, cognitive disorders, vaccine reactions, etc., and decreased risk, for things such as testicular tumors, pyometra, etc.)

The references and citations for this research has been posted in the forums already, and you can search for the direct source at www.pubmed.com.

Certainly millions of dogs have been spayed/neutered at 6 months or younger without reports of development of long-term problems; by the same token millions have been left intact without reported developments of those associated problem.  It's all a matter of risk-assessment tailored to the individual. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts