Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm to the point where I'm seriously contemplating having Milo neutered. He's 4 and I'm just curious to know if anyone noticed a behavior difference in their older dog between intact and neutered?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
cant help you on the boxer side of it but the male dog side of it i have always had males..and they seem to chill out ..be more settled i think b/c they are not caring about trying to go out and find some uhmm 'fun' haha

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh lord, Samson was neutered at 6 , but it was done by the rescue before I adopted him. To be honest, in his case i doubt it changed a thing, he's Mr Laid back, so I really can't answer if there was any differrence or not.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree. I think it's much of an old wifes tale. Some may calm a little, but most folks that nueter later in age striclty for the calming effects are usually sadly disapointed. I really believe your dogs temperment and sourounding stimulation will not change much at all.  But on the other hand, it's not that costly, may remotely help and at the same time eliminate risk of testicular cancer in an ageing dog.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree neutering an older dog does not offer a behavior difference, but there are plenty of plus sides for medical reasons :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had my pit bull Rascal neutered at 3.5 years old.  His personality, temperment didn't change except he did stop marking in the house when he saw another dog.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input...I think we're going to go ahead and go through with it after the holidays. Poor Milo :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts