Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did YOU get your boxer neutered?  Harvey will be 6 months old on December 2 and I want to get him neutered after that ... soon after that.  I was just wondering about you long-time boxer owners!  Harvey is my first.   :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I had Buster neutered at 5 months. No problems whatsoever!  :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel was just neutered 2 weeks ago (a little under 9 months old). He had an undescended testicle, and the vet wanted to wait to see if it would drop on it's own before having to do such an invasive surgery. It never did, so he had to have something like a spay instead. with a very long incision line. But it never did seem to bother him. I was able to take the silly cone off of him after 3 days, and he never tried to lick at it or anything.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Its a personal thing.  For me, I have a s/n contract that states needs to be done by 6months.  However I am training my dogs for canine sport and have opted to wait to alter them until after a year to 18 months.  My breeder says fine because she knows my intentions with my dogs are not for breeding.  There are studies that show that altering later can help with joint growth.  Esp where we are doing flyball as well as will be training for agility with them both, I would rather not risk and acl tear or anything like that, so I opt to wait based on personal research.

It is a total opinion thing as well.   Here is an interesting article given to me by some breeders.   I think all dogs as pets should be neutered to stop any unwanting preganancies.    Its just the timing of when comes into play!

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sumya was 4 months old when i had her spayed.she did just fine and 2 days later was bouncing around like a rubber ball.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts