Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of adopting a Boxer from the Rescue here in WI.  Her new name will be Kiah and she is eight months old.  The previous owner decided to surrender her after the sudden death of her husband. Kiah will have been at her foster home for only two weeks (and is settling in well) and coming to me this weekend.  She is already crate trained and the only accidents she has had is if they don't notice her standing at the door.  She doesn't make any noises to alert them she needs out.

What do you suggest I do to make her feel at home and help her in the transition.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Awwwww she's adorable!!! Welcome!!! Give her lots of luvins!!! I adopted a boxer 2 weeks ago although she didn't have a very nice past, she adjusted pretty well. She didn't eat the first night she was here, but started to the next day(i put some eggs on her food :lol: ). She follows me EVERY where!! She's my little velcro dog :D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
She's BEAUTIFUL! I don't know how great I'd be at giving advice on that... just give lots of TLC and always be there to reasure her. Odin is just like that... he'll go and stand at the door... not say a word... and sometimes I don't notice and then he'll go and just pee or poop where ever. But I have noticed that... sometimes I wonder if it is to go potty or to just go out side. ANYWAY... good luck... welcome... and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Congrats on going the rescue  route! they are the best dogs. the best advice i can give is to let her alone for the first few days-no excessive fussing over her. She needs some time to adjust to the new surroundings. She may not eat the first few days as well. I also had to put egg on Savannahs food to entice her to eat. it is going to take some time before she is completley herself. Good luck! and keep us posted on how she is doing :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums!  :)

Kiah is a beauty! Kudos to you for going through rescue. It will take her some time to adjust to her surroundings, but she will be just fine. Can't wait to see more pictures of her...

·
Registered
214 Posts
What a cute boxer. Im sure that she will be very happy in her new home! Welcome! Everyones been super great with the advice and help, we are glad your here miss Kiah and Miss kiah's mom and dad!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome!  Kudos to you for adopting her.  Don't be afraid if she doesn't eat for a day or two when you get her home.  It is not uncommon.  It will take a little time to adjust (both you and her) but I'm sure it will be beneficial for both of you.  She will have a loving home and you will have a loving companion.  Our Scout will also stand at the door or the water bowl until we understand or acknowledge what he wants.  Gunner is bell trained to go outside....something you might want to try?

We can't wait to hear all about Kiah!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I have been reading the previous posts; there is great information and support from the members.  I will definately post more pictures when Kiah is home; I love all the pictures of all the boxers.  This is going to be a long week waiting for her to get here.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to both of you and I also have to say kudos for going the rescue route....I've rescued 2 of mine and they make the most loving pets..As Kiah is still very young and her circumstances don't sound harsh, she should do very well...Try to resist the urge to smother her, believe me, boxers are smart, she will know you love her..It could take her a few days to get into a routine as far as eating and potty, so keep an eye out on that...Use enticements if you need to to get her to eat, also ask her foster mom lots of questions. When I adopted Samson, he had been fostered for 2 mos, so she knew him very well and I got valuable information from her.

She's a lovely girl and I know you are looking forward to bringing her home this w/end...Feel free to ask as many questions as you need and check outthe training and puppy sections for some very good advice....

Welcome to the forum..We look forward to hearing all about Kiah's adventures..Love the name by the way.  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't remember where I heard the name but it is Australian Aboriginal for "from a pretty place".  I liked it and thought it fit her well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts