Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- My name is Breanna and I am mom to Zoey who is 13 months.
I came looking for this forum because I love my dog but really need support.

My dog has some behavioral issues that I understand can be kinda normal for this breed. She always gets up on the counters, climbs on top of furniture, and barks a lot. i had her in training when she was a puppy but she is still very feisty.

I can live with all that but what Im frustrated at is her not going to the bathroom outside. She has been crate trained since day one but over the past month she will use her crate as the bathroom. I have read many things to get her to stop this behavior but nothing is working. This is newer behavior within the past month. Before this she went outside 80% of the time. Any ideas why this behavior?

I have tried: walking her longer, keeping her on leash with me in house and taking her back out after a break, blanket in cage, no blanket in cage, fave toy in cage and no toy, food bowl in cage and no food.

Like I said this is newer behavior but when I walk her and she wont go- then 5 mins later goes in crate when Im ready for bed its very very frustrating. Its always her poop and often pee.

HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi- My name is Breanna and I am mom to Zoey who is 13 months.
I came looking for this forum because I love my dog but really need support.

My dog has some behavioral issues that I understand can be kinda normal for this breed. She always gets up on the counters, climbs on top of furniture, and barks a lot. i had her in training when she was a puppy but she is still very feisty.

I can live with all that but what Im frustrated at is her not going to the bathroom outside. She has been crate trained since day one but over the past month she will use her crate as the bathroom. I have read many things to get her to stop this behavior but nothing is working. This is newer behavior within the past month. Before this she went outside 80% of the time. Any ideas why this behavior?

I have tried: walking her longer, keeping her on leash with me in house and taking her back out after a break, blanket in cage, no blanket in cage, fave toy in cage and no toy, food bowl in cage and no food.

Like I said this is newer behavior but when I walk her and she wont go- then 5 mins later goes in crate when Im ready for bed its very very frustrating. Its always her poop and often pee.

HELP PLEASE
Not sure I can help, but my boxer is my 3rd dog but 1st boxer. It did take him much longer to be trained to go to the bathroom outside compared to the previous 2 dogs. Don't know if this is common in the boxer breed.

It seems she is holding it in until you get back inside. Maybe spending more time outside until she finally goes? I found with my guy Zuke after some very brisk exercise(I do bike rides) he is ready to go poop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It took until about 13 months old before i trusted my guy to not potty inside. I don't trust him if hes left loose in the house though. If i'm gone for more then 5 minutes hes in the crate and he doesn't potty in there. What i always did was use the phrase "go potty" and when he goes potty is tell him good potty and give treats. Make it the biggest deal in the world when she pottys outside to the point its embarrassing! and if you catch her in the act inside them tell her no and rush her outside and praise her when she finishes out there.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet? Maybe their is a health issue
I gonna go with this one. In particular have her checked for a Urinary Tract Infection. If she gets a clean bill of health then it's behavioural. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Some dogs have spay incontinence, and need medication so they can get better control. Does she mark when she is on walks? It takes at least twice as long for our female to go when on walks. She backs up to trees and posts and marks them like a male would do. She won't squat until she's finished with all her pee-mail! Too busy sniffing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi it took a long time with both my dogs which I was not used to since my other dog I had took only 2 weeks. I have a male and female. I had my male first for about a year and a half before I got my female. I tried a lot of things to, like going outside with them and praising, treating, getting excited after they used the bathroom, which my male was not to impressed with LOL. Then I tried the potty time chimes bells and they worked wonders for my male at least. The only thing is he rings them anytime he wants to go outside not just to use the bathroom which can be annoying at times because if I don't let him out he will just keep ringing them until I do. Little Stinker!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts