Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning! We have a 9 month old boxer, Maya and WE ADORE HER. She is ridiculously smart and VERY LOVING. I think she has separation anxiety and her behavior in her crate ONLY WHEN WE LEAVE her, is about to drive my husband crazy. I work from home (thankfully) and this dog NEVER leaves my side. In fact, she sits in my chair with me while I work (or directly under it). I can't go to any other room in the house without her going with me. She is totally housebroken and rings a bell on the back door to go outside. She hasn't had an accident in the house in months. She goes to bed easily at night in her crate and has no issues at all. Our problem starts when I leave to go to yoga and there is a gap of an hour or two before my husband gets home, or on the weekends when we have errands to run that we can't take her. She poops in her crate!! We set up the GoPro to see what she does and its pitiful. She has a total meltdown and poops within 3-4 minutes of us leaving. If we don't use extra latches on her crate, she can escape. We have tried playing special toned music for her, diffusing lavendar, taking her out before we leave, giving her toys in the crate, adding the divider for less room while we are gone, ThunderShirt, and NOTHING works. When she sees either of us getting ready to leave the house she gets very anxious and upset. Any advice on how to help her feel better about being alone for short periods of time and NOT pooping in her crate? My husband had the idea to put her food bowl in there? We are desperate at this point. And sadly, she can't go with me to yoga....

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
This is why I advocate to keeping a puppy in his crate, even when he can see you and only letting him out to potty and have play time and of course cuddle time. But then back to crate. They get use to seeing you come and go and learn it ok. So I've never had to deal with a dog having operation anxiety, well ok maybe many years ago until I learned to do this. It works very well ofr me as I can get up in the morning take other dogs out, feed do cats fix my coffee and then allow our boxer out. After that he has free roam except when I leave the house and no one is around to peek and make sure there is no mischief going on. He is now 2 1/2 so he is pretty trustworthy,but if I don't know when I will be particularly home in the crate he goes. He just lies down and goes to sleep .
So I think you will have to try and teach er this. Maybe short periods of time at first when your home, put her in go about your business then open the crate and she doesn't step out until you tell her its ok too. Then lots of praise, later you can do longer times then grab your purse walk out the door and back in, short times but again adding time. I think she will get use to your coming and going and as long as she doesn't get out of the crate until you say wand without whining or barking you let her out. Your basically confusing her as to whether your coming or going. Never speak to he3r when you put her in other than her crate command and never say goodbye or hello. Just my opinion but it works for me. Others may even have better ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts