Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, excited to join this group. We live in Florida and recently brought home sibling boxer puppies. We have had 4 boxers over the years, 2 that were raised from puppies and 2 that were rescued, all very special and unique. We lost our "baby" 5 months ago. He was a beautiful white boxer, the doggie love of my life, not sure I will ever stop missing him. He was really special. Not sure if we are crazy with 2 new puppies. Though we have typically always owned 2 Boxers, usually they were at least 1 year apart or much more. This is our first experience with 2 puppies at once; we figured we could just get the training done all at once. We have a boy and a girl from the same litter. I've read that they can become co-dependent on one another so have been working on having separation for feeding, and taking outside but it's been hard. Excited to learn more here, always something new to learn!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Separate food bowls now, Potty will be over quick let them out every hour, stretch it out to 90 minutes in about a month. What part of the Sunshine state are you from?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Can't speak from experience, never had two pups at once, but someone I know has two adult dogs that were raised as siblings and they are fantastic. There can be issues of codependency, especially if they are together all the time. I know my friends dogs were fed, walked, and trained separately for awhile. The thinking being the dog is focused on only you, not depending on the other sibling being there. Not sure for how long though. Good luck and congrats on the pups.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello and welcome!! Congrats on your new pups! Sounds like you will have your hands full for a while. We will be joining you with a new pup coming in January (posted about it today). I came to this forum like many others following a trail of tears after the loss of our boy Diesel at 6 years old to massive (90% shot) liver cancer. From my limited experience so far, you will certainly find folks who understand and are real people that care.

We didn't ask but our breeder she came right out and said that she will absolutely not sell 2 pups from the same litter to the same house. Not sure why? I bet they will be just fine together!

Anyway, post some pictures! Would love to see them and give updates.
Take care,
Rick

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Aww you will certainly have your hands full and I've known a few who have done this successfully. I understand it is important to give them independent experiences, as well as together . Feeding separate, crating separate, socializing, training sessions all separate, and then together as well. I'm sure you will do well. We love puppy pictures.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Hmm, well " you really," are breaking "Da Rule's," with two puppies at once?? But thankfully you did not say, Yeah and they are both girl's!!! :)

So your not doing that! And generally speaking ... it is always best to have one "well trained dog, before adding add a second dog." And currently ... with my new Boxer/Pit. I can't say I'm getting there at the moment?? And that failure that failure (well trained dog) adds more time to when I can get my next Boxer!

Anyway, the reason being your first "Well Trained Dog," can make training your second dog a lot easier ie "Monkey See Monkey Do," kinda thing. But the first danger with that approach, is that (and it sound's like) you are not Doing this! But ... if you always train "both," dog's together ... One pup may know "everything," and the other may not know anything??? If the two are always trained "together," the second pup can just "key," off the more "Dominate One??

And the only way you would know, would be if you have to separate, them on a short outing (one time) and the "follower," fail's to comply with a "Stay or a Recall," when it may matter! And suddenly you find you have no "compliance to command's when it matter's!" IE "monkey see monkey do."

And of course if the dog's are "always together??" They "Bond, more with each other," then they do with you. So separate training session's and separate walk's and outing's are a minimum. Thus "twice as much work out the gate!"

But the "Good New's??" Is that you seem to have a clue! So don't make the "usual mistake's and it sound's like "you," can make it work. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, well " you really," are breaking "Da Rule's," with two puppies at once?? But thankfully you did not say, Yeah and they are both girl's!!! :)

So your not doing that! And generally speaking ... it is always best to have one "well trained dog, before adding add a second dog." And currently ... with my new Boxer/Pit. I can't say I'm getting there at the moment?? And that failure that failure (well trained dog) adds more time to when I can get my next Boxer!

Anyway, the reason being your first "Well Trained Dog," can make training your second dog a lot easier ie "Monkey See Monkey Do," kinda thing. But the first danger with that approach, is that (and it sound's like) you are not Doing this! But ... if you always train "both," dog's together ... One pup may know "everything," and the other may not know anything??? If the two are always trained "together," the second pup can just "key," off the more "Dominate One??

And the only way you would know, would be if you have to separate, them on a short outing (one time) and the "follower," fail's to comply with a "Stay or a Recall," when it may matter! And suddenly you find you have no "compliance to command's when it matter's!" IE "monkey see monkey do."

And of course if the dog's are "always together??" They "Bond, more with each other," then they do with you. So separate training session's and separate walk's and outing's are a minimum. Thus "twice as much work out the gate!"

But the "Good New's??" Is that you seem to have a clue! So don't make the "usual mistake's and it sound's like "you," can make it work. :)
Thank you so much, great advice! I have 2 crates and have been putting them there at night. Great advice, will implement more of it, especially the training separately, very wise!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aww you will certainly have your hands full and I've known a few who have done this successfully. I understand it is important to give them independent experiences, as well as together . Feeding separate, crating separate, socializing, training sessions all separate, and then together as well. I'm sure you will do well. We love puppy pictures.
You asked for it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Thank you so much, great advice! I have 2 crates and have been putting them there at night. Great advice, will implement more of it, especially the training separately, very wise!
Well if you have dog's gone really seriously wrong and (Online if you don't know where else) Leerburgh has seen it all! There are other's but when I had my first WL GSD, with uh people issue's ... I went there first and used his advise as a base, worked out fine. :)

But first, hand experience by accident here. I kinda over did the have one well trained dog thing before adding a second. Long story shortish ... I was still suffering from (Clinically diagnosed by accident PTSD) from the loss of my first Boxer/Pitt when we got Heidi (Brindle Boxer) to help me get over it. And that did not go well at all. We got her at night locally and took her of course to the Vet the next morning for a check up .... and she had PARVO!!!

Sigh, off course we could have taken her back ... but it was already to late ... she was my puppy already and that "breeder," had already F'ed up! So I was keeping her! So we would fight and sadly we lost. Heidi (8 week's) was game a little trooper. She spent her day's at the vet and her evening's out home with me admistering IV's and staying with her all night. Then back to the vet for the day. And when she was up she spent most of her time looking for newspapper to barf on ... I showed her that once and that is what she did there after. And for number two ... I took her out and her where to go once and that is what she did.

She managed to survive a week but she was just to small and weak to make it and she passed away in my arm's on a Thursday night . We had her one week , that was 18 year's ago.

And now our yard or so we thought was "contaminated with "Parvo," or so we thought?? So now we could not try again for at least a year. Not a good way to get over a loss and now ...
both just seeing a Fawn or Brindle Boxer ... would bring me to tear's. :(

But time goes by and maybe time to try again. Still numb still taking antidepressant's and afraid ... not to! We try again for another Boxer but starting to run out of color's?? And then I discover "White Boxer's???" OK then I'll try that!

I still did know what a "BYB," was but I did know about Parvo. And this guy's puppies had no exposure to it and did not even know what grass was??? They had never been out side. I wanted a boy but they were all spoken for?? But when I got down to look at the pup's sleeping in a pile, save for the one Boy standing on top barking his head off, (To be Struddlle) climbed out of the pack and into my lap and promptly fell asleep and did not move, then mom came over sat next to me and did not move?? Well, I still wanted a boy but screw it ... I'll take this one! Not the ball of dynamite I was looking for but good enough! :)

Yeah well ... for all I know (Now) she just have been exhausted from being an A-Hole all day?? Cuz she never exhibited that much calm again!

Well I know had another pup and I thought I was better?? But still really not, I was still kinda numb (and finally back on point) I had a pup to train. And since I already had the one well trained dog ... training her was relatively easy. But I was already making mistake's I just did not see it ... yet??

Recall was the only thing I did with her alone. LOL and training that was epic, had to get over the "Are you serious stage?? :)

But other than that I trained Sit, Down, Stay, Threshold Training the front door and the Car Proofing ... with both together ... always. And the car proofing is the key ... you don't get out of the Car until I tell you do so dog!!! All windows down or doors open ... don't get out without permission!

I did most of that in a couple of month's?? But really Gunther was the one that really trained her for the first year?? As I was still kinda numb (it had been year's and I was still taking anti-depressant's!

And then one day when we moved to NV in 2003 everything changed?? For the first time ... I took Struddell to the store (for a ride without Gunther.) I think nothing of it. I get to the store park the car and ... Struddell, pop's out the door behind me without permission???!!!

Now there she was in a Parking Lot full of idiot driver's without a leash!! I was terrified and freaked out but she did stay by my side and I just told her,"To Get In The Car!!" Which she did without issue but WTH, had just happened here???

And in that moment ... I finally got te "fog" out of my head and really understood what I had just seen?? She did not really know well any command's?? I had always trained her and Gunther together and she was not really listening to me?? She was just cue-ing off Gunther!!

"Monkey See, Monkey Do???" I got lucky I did not lose her and on that day and after four year's or so?? The next day I started to cut back on the anti-depressants! And I was able to stop taking them completely a few week's later! So Struddell pretty much, Kick started my life with her Bad Doggy-ness, on that day ... she was a great dog and I still miss her dearly 7 year's on. And yeah I learnered stuff, one well trained dog does make training a new easier ... but don't over do it! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if you have dog's gone really seriously wrong and (Online if you don't know where else) Leerburgh has seen it all! There are other's but when I had my first WL GSD, with uh people issue's ... I went there first and used his advise as a base, worked out fine. :)

But first, hand experience by accident here. I kinda over did the have one well trained dog thing before adding a second. Long story shortish ... I was still suffering from (Clinically diagnosed by accident PTSD) from the loss of my first Boxer/Pitt when we got Heidi (Brindle Boxer) to help me get over it. And that did not go well at all. We got her at night locally and took her of course to the Vet the next morning for a check up .... and she had PARVO!!!

Sigh, off course we could have taken her back ... but it was already to late ... she was my puppy already and that "breeder," had already F'ed up! So I was keeping her! So we would fight and sadly we lost. Heidi (8 week's) was game a little trooper. She spent her day's at the vet and her evening's out home with me admistering IV's and staying with her all night. Then back to the vet for the day. And when she was up she spent most of her time looking for newspapper to barf on ... I showed her that once and that is what she did there after. And for number two ... I took her out and her where to go once and that is what she did.

She managed to survive a week but she was just to small and weak to make it and she passed away in my arm's on a Thursday night . We had her one week , that was 18 year's ago.

And now our yard or so we thought was "contaminated with "Parvo," or so we thought?? So now we could not try again for at least a year. Not a good way to get over a loss and now ...
both just seeing a Fawn or Brindle Boxer ... would bring me to tear's. :(

But time goes by and maybe time to try again. Still numb still taking antidepressant's and afraid ... not to! We try again for another Boxer but starting to run out of color's?? And then I discover "White Boxer's???" OK then I'll try that!

I still did know what a "BYB," was but I did know about Parvo. And this guy's puppies had no exposure to it and did not even know what grass was??? They had never been out side. I wanted a boy but they were all spoken for?? But when I got down to look at the pup's sleeping in a pile, save for the one Boy standing on top barking his head off, (To be Struddlle) climbed out of the pack and into my lap and promptly fell asleep and did not move, then mom came over sat next to me and did not move?? Well, I still wanted a boy but screw it ... I'll take this one! Not the ball of dynamite I was looking for but good enough! :)

Yeah well ... for all I know (Now) she just have been exhausted from being an A-Hole all day?? Cuz she never exhibited that much calm again!

Well I know had another pup and I thought I was better?? But still really not, I was still kinda numb (and finally back on point) I had a pup to train. And since I already had the one well trained dog ... training her was relatively easy. But I was already making mistake's I just did not see it ... yet??

Recall was the only thing I did with her alone. LOL and training that was epic, had to get over the "Are you serious stage?? :)

But other than that I trained Sit, Down, Stay, Threshold Training the front door and the Car Proofing ... with both together ... always. And the car proofing is the key ... you don't get out of the Car until I tell you do so dog!!! All windows down or doors open ... don't get out without permission!

I did most of that in a couple of month's?? But really Gunther was the one that really trained her for the first year?? As I was still kinda numb (it had been year's and I was still taking anti-depressant's!

And then one day when we moved to NV in 2003 everything changed?? For the first time ... I took Struddell to the store (for a ride without Gunther.) I think nothing of it. I get to the store park the car and ... Struddell, pop's out the door behind me without permission???!!!

Now there she was in a Parking Lot full of idiot driver's without a leash!! I was terrified and freaked out but she did stay by my side and I just told her,"To Get In The Car!!" Which she did without issue but WTH, had just happened here???

And in that moment ... I finally got te "fog" out of my head and really understood what I had just seen?? She did not really know well any command's?? I had always trained her and Gunther together and she was not really listening to me?? She was just cue-ing off Gunther!!

"Monkey See, Monkey Do???" I got lucky I did not lose her and on that day and after four year's or so?? The next day I started to cut back on the anti-depressants! And I was able to stop taking them completely a few week's later! So Struddell pretty much, Kick started my life with her Bad Doggy-ness, on that day ... she was a great dog and I still miss her dearly 7 year's on. And yeah I learnered stuff, one well trained dog does make training a new easier ... but don't over do it! :)
Oh gosh, that is sad, happy and inspiring story, go YOU! Life gets tough doesn't it, glad you didn't let it beat you! Never be ashamed to be on antidepressants, they help so many people. Glad you are well and the doggies too!

We actually had a parvo scare too with these little guys. When we got them home had a few days of diarrhea so called my trusty vet of over 15 years who sight unseen decided they had parvo, WHT? She wouldn't even see them. He was eating fine, drinking fine and she was too but he just has less energy. Anyhow, I felt like they were ok and made an appointment with a new Vet who checked them out and they both had Round worms which we treated. Now they have had their first vaccines too. I gave them the Heartworm/parasite meds but am not sure about the flea/tick meds they sold me, they are just so little, hate to put it on them. Thoughts? I took your advice this evening about training commands. Jezebel is quick and got the sit command really quickly but Buster Brown wasn't necessarily getting it. Separated them and hubby and I both worked with them, much better results.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Brindlebabies...thanks for sharing your babies. They are so cute. Of course I am partial to brindles, the one with the full white on his muzzle reminds me very much of my boy. We lost him this past Spring and it still hurts. We have been petsitting a boxer, on and off this past month. He reminds us so much of ours, its just the boxer sweetness I guess but he has way more energy than mine had, though I think they never taught him to play calm but after a week he was doing better with us. At first if he played tug he would just keep grabbing the tug toy until he accidentally got your arm but now he is doing better. I'm looking forward to petsitting him again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brindlebabies...thanks for sharing your babies. They are so cute. Of course I am partial to brindles, the one with the full white on his muzzle reminds me very much of my boy. We lost him this past Spring and it still hurts. We have been petsitting a boxer, on and off this past month. He reminds us so much of ours, its just the boxer sweetness I guess but he has way more energy than mine had, though I think they never taught him to play calm but after a week he was doing better with us. At first if he played tug he would just keep grabbing the tug toy until he accidentally got your arm but now he is doing better. I'm looking forward to petsitting him again.
Thank you, they are sweet (mostly)! I'm so sorry to hear you lost your boy this Spring, same for us after almost 15 years, he was a white boxer and the doggy love of my life. I too was dog sitting a bit over the past few months, not a boxer but a doggy that really helped me with the loss. Does that pain ever go away? I sure hope so. Funny you mentioned that you are teaching the dog you are sitting, same here. He must not have been properly socialized, very sweet but quiet and wouldn't even play with a toy. Now he barks here and there and we have been able to entice him with toys, funny how much you can help with patience and time. We brought him over last week to spend a few nights with the puppies, at first he wasn't too sure about them but after a couple of days he was playing with them. Progress! Maybe soon you will be ready for a another Boxer friend.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Thank you, they are sweet (mostly)! I'm so sorry to hear you lost your boy this Spring, same for us after almost 15 years, he was a white boxer and the doggy love of my life. I too was dog sitting a bit over the past few months, not a boxer but a doggy that really helped me with the loss. Does that pain ever go away? I sure hope so. Funny you mentioned that you are teaching the dog you are sitting, same here. He must not have been properly socialized, very sweet but quiet and wouldn't even play with a toy. Now he barks here and there and we have been able to entice him with toys, funny how much you can help with patience and time. We brought him over last week to spend a few nights with the puppies, at first he wasn't too sure about them but after a couple of days he was playing with them. Progress! Maybe soon you will be ready for a another Boxer friend.
Uh wait what?? Almost 15 year's??? That is awesome!!! And yeah I know it still hurt's now that they are gone. But nonetheless ... you did Good! :)

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Aww man you get to pet sit a Boxer?? I am so jealous! :)
As for the accidental arm grabbing?? That's just bad manner's and his owner's don't care. But if you spend enough time with him ... you can teach him not to do that to "you!"

Boxer's as a Breed?? Just seem to specialize in "over top," uh "everything!" There is just nothing like them?? Some morning's my "Bella," Boxer/Pit ... just rip's around the back yard at "Insane speed's!"

Just ... because??? Sigh much like my Struddell, who would race around the desert ... and when she got to a slight hill. I was worried she would bash into it??? But she never did?? :)

They just have so much energy, they just need to burn it off??? It's kinda why they are not the best breed for the lazy?? But hey for the most part ... they tend to not be a thread to people?? So there is that. :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yep we get to pet sit a boxer. He has a great owner but I don't think they taught him gentle or it could just have been he was so excited to play. They certainly get lonely when their "household" of humans big n small" are gone. I'm thinking it was just over excitement as within the week he already was becoming gentler. He isn't trained as well as Kai was but he certainly is a sweetheart. If ever they need to regime him (I doubt it big time) I'll be right there. LOL. I don't plan on getting any more puppies, my husband isn't well and my balance is declining. You never know though but at this point I'd rather take in a dog that needs a new home and is already basically trained. I have my crazy poodle and he really is enough. My daughter has the shih tzu pup who is sweet but I'm just not into training him. I think I'm feeling just too stressed lately. Too many things to take care of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts