Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Pennsylvania!  We are a new Boxer family!  Miley is our first "purebread" dog.  We got her on Mothers Day at 8 weeks old.  I think she has been doing great training wise, but a friend of ours who is a trainer keeps yelling at me because she has accidents in the house still.  (maybe twice a day - and not every day)  She also told me that she has a dominance issue because she wouldn't back down to a German Shepard...is this something I should be worried about?

Away from the negative, we love our new addition, and can't wait for our adventours to continue!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to you and Miley.  Not sure if it is a dominance issue but the only boxer puppy I have seen was not afraid of anything.  Others may have some better ideas.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D
Lots of good info in the puppy section and the behavior section. :wink:
I should think it was confidence, not dominance, for not backing down. :)   But what do I know? :lol:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I think she is beautiful. :D

She is only 8 weeks, give her time with the house training and she'll get the hang of it. :D

Train her how you feel is best, some trainers like to think they know everything :roll: , so if you think she is doing ok, then thats all that matters. :wink:
As for the issue with the other dog, she is prob just learning some doggie skills and playing around. :D

Congrats on your new baby she is a cutie pie :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
A big welcome from NY!! Prada & Nico send lots o' wiggles your way! :)

Miley's a little beauty - can't wait to see more of her!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.. Miley is adorable....Ok, Miley is a puppy...For a trainer to start yelling at such a young age regarding potty training, really isn't a good trainer, sorry to say that....Generally a puppy is not considered fully house broken until about 6 mos...If you are only having a couple accidents at that young age, I think you are doing well... :) Regarding the dominence thing, does this trainer know anything about Boxers? I've had trainers in the past who knew next to nothing about the breed make snap judgements(lazy, stupid, hard headed, can't be taught). Yes, Boxers are hard headed, but incredibly intelligent. You cannot use the same Training methods with them that you would use with like a Lab or a Golden...Short sessions, avoid excessively repeating the same command..Boxers get bored, they will think they are doing it wrong...It's not so much not backing down, that's the nature of a Boxer, they are clowns, they live to play, that is not a dominence issue at all...Get some good books on the breed to learn more and the internet is a great source of information as well...But please don't think you are doing something wrong, sounds to me that you are doing fine :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. Miley is a beauty!

You'll get lot's of great advice here. Samson's Mom summed it up perfectly. It sounds as though you're doing fine.  :) Using positive reinforcement, encouraging good behavior, will do wonders.

Keep us updated, and with pics! Gotta see more of that little brindle girl!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, what a cutie! Your skin kids are adorable as well :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Miley is a sweetheart; your skin kids are cute, love pictures of boxers and kids.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Miley is adorable.
Sounds like you are doing great with her ... I have run into some trainers who just don't get boxers - definitely try to find another who can help and not hinder your pup!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Samsonsmom is correct with this. Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing those.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome to BF, she is adorable!
If your friend is a trainer and thinks puppies should be housebroken by 8 weeks.... do NOT go to that friend for training advice!
Good luck with the new addition:)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello & Welcome!!  Miley is adorable!!  
Lola had accidents up until about 4 months.  Give her time and keep up with a potty schedule/routine.  She'll get the hang of it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts